• Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • Cases
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
July 4, 2010 3:24:50 AM

Hello and thank you in advance.

I want to upgrade my cpu cooler so I can overclock my Phenom II 955, AM3 socket. I currently have the stock AMD fan without any heat issues. Which will change when I OC.

It needs to fit in my case and my concern is it hitting the power supply, over top. Kinda close. Also am I locked into AM3 coolers?

Suggestions?

Case: Cooler Master Elite 310 w/Front Audio/USB
MB: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AMD 785G AM3 Socket
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz AM3 Processor
Memory: Corsair 4GB DDR3 PC10600 1333mhz
GPU: ATI Radeon 5770
PSU: Kingmax 550

More about : upgrading cpu cooler small case

July 4, 2010 6:14:07 PM

hi, man well i have a cooler master V8, it is a great HFS but the REAL deal is de case if u don´t have a good airflow inside de case no matter what HFS you buy... Believe me....

see ya..
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
July 4, 2010 6:34:38 PM

and yes, your heatsink must support Am3 socket, i'd say overclock gently and see what your temps do on the stock set up, I get good temps as it is so dont worry about Aftermarket hs.
but cheapest option you have is see how it goes before you spend any money on a new fancy sink :p 
Moto
m
l
Related resources
July 5, 2010 6:37:47 PM

Well thats not any fun.

Pushing the upper limit of the stock cooler doesnt make any sense to me. Why go to the limit without any extra capacity for now and the future? The price for this doesnt worry me to much. Especiallly if it adds to the life of parts and gives me flexibility.
The airflow in the case seems fine. I still have the ability to add an intake fan to the side panel if needed.

So I'm thinking there is a Zalman CNPS10X Quiet CPU Cooler in my future.

m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
July 5, 2010 7:21:27 PM

I see your thinking, but if nothing else you can see how far you can push it on stock just for reference, so you then know how much better your aftermarket item is,
just a numbers game really
Go for the Zalman if you will, but I'd personally want the numbers to work from first,
Good luck man,
Moto
m
l
July 7, 2010 3:13:44 AM

So I played with some OCing with the stock cooler. The cooler sounded like a jet engine. Its doing 4000rpm!?! Thats nuts.

I will do some number collecting, like your idea of a baseline, but the jet engine needs to go.

m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
July 7, 2010 3:24:04 AM

pwrhamr said:
Well thats not any fun.

Pushing the upper limit of the stock cooler doesnt make any sense to me. Why go to the limit without any extra capacity for now and the future? The price for this doesnt worry me to much. Especiallly if it adds to the life of parts and gives me flexibility.
The airflow in the case seems fine. I still have the ability to add an intake fan to the side panel if needed.

So I'm thinking there is a Zalman CNPS10X Quiet CPU Cooler in my future.

That's currently the best one from Zalman.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks
m
l
July 7, 2010 4:03:14 AM

Thanks, that was good reading.

m
l
!