Really need a suggestion on build

Phantasmal Death

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I'm basically stuck between choosing an Intel or AMD upgrade, on a strict budget. All I'm going to need right now is a new mobo and cpu, ram I'm actually getting free with gift card. This will be for a home PC, on which I do a bit of everything including gaming, audio production and a little bit of photoshopping.

So instead of asking you to decide for me, tell me which you'd go with personally if you so had to on a budget. Please note, I'm not a Biostar loving person, but given the specs you'll see why I chose their Intel board over its budget counterparts (faster FSB, 1066 support). As for the AMD board I linked, I found a place that has it on sale and even Newegg doesn't have a comparible board for the price I can get it at.

So as you'll see, it's either; superior cpu, cheap mobo or inferior cpu, damn good mobo. Which of these would you go with or perhaps something else? I know there's also the e5200 but I'm not looking for heavy OCing, just slight.

Intel e7300 +
Biostar Tforce G31 board, specs found here

or

AMD 7750 be +
Biostar TA790gx, specs found here

the1tarheel

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
For that budget I would definately go with AMD as you can later upgrade to the Phenom II which has shown to be mighty nice when overclocked

If doing this upgrade for myself i'd go with the AMD7750 and the 790GX board. I also have to admit i've had great luck with Biostar motherboards, good overclocks and stable performance. If you do go Intel spend just a little more for a Gigabyte G31 mobo.

Phantasmal Death

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
So AMD then? That was my first plan until I read some benchmarks and saw the e7300 beating the 7750 by quite a bit, even when the AMD was OCed. But obviously the AMD mobo is much nicer than a cheap g31, I read about the sb750 chip being very good.

Why would you go for the Gigabyte g31 though on an Intel build? It's actually $5 cheaper than the Biostar and has weaker specs. FSB limited to 1333 and only supports ram up to 800, while the other has what I mentioned above.