Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ati or Nvidia?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 9, 2009 1:04:56 AM

Im debating between gtx 260 216 core or the 4870 1 gb. Please help!

More about : ati nvidia

February 9, 2009 1:21:42 AM

robert4561 said:
Im debating between gtx 260 216 core or the 4870 1 gb. Please help!


well i have 2 main gaming pc's and in one i have dual gtx 260-216 and a q9300 @ 3.4GHz and 4GB ram running at 1440x900 (19 inch lcd) res and everything runs max settings and max fps (vsync on/SLI on) with 4xaa and only does the fps drop in real intense ares in crysis/warhead.

in my other newer pc i have a new xfx 4850 and a E8400 @ 3.6GHz and 6GB ram running at 1360x768 res (on 26 inch hdtv) with 4xaa and adaptive aa all the way up and everything runs maxed at about 45-60 fps (vsync on). if i turn off sli in my nvidia pc an bench the 2 pc's the hd 4850 gets about 1-3 fps more than a single gtx 260-216 most of the time. and thats crysis/warhead at highest settings and 4xaa/16xaf and transparency aa maxed. so if you like alot of aa in your games i say definitely get the HD 4870. i mean my XFX HD 4850 beats my single EVGA GTX 260-216.

ATI cards handle aa/af way better than nvidia cards do. they dont get such a big performance hit which is great. you could get a hd 4850 and oc it and be happy imo. they cost less but go with the ati card. and to make things clear to all im not a newly found ati fanboi, i own both current gen ati and nvidia cards and imo and testing ati cards are just that little amount better when it comes to extra settings.
February 9, 2009 2:52:13 AM

I certainly do like my lines smooth and sexy and let me just say you have some ballah ass gaming rigs.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2009 3:21:06 AM

+1 ATI (4870) :) 
February 9, 2009 1:00:14 PM

robert4561 said:
I certainly do like my lines smooth and sexy and let me just say you have some ballah ass gaming rigs.


thanks, i try lol
February 9, 2009 1:23:43 PM



Although ATI cards may have better AA, in most cases, the performance gap between the cards is too big for the ATI to beat, thats comparing a 4850 and a 260 GTX...but when youcan compared 4870 and 260 GTX then thats a different story. I mean there are exceptions where in grid the 4870 1 gig pretty much matches the more expensive 280 gtx, but I mean what about 90% of the time.

I really don't think the 4850 beats the 260 GTX lol Sorry but thats hard to believe for me:p  Don't forget the 260 GTX has a higher bus width and more vram. Lets not forget overall more power.

Yes you do have some nice rigs.

Though I would choose the 4870 1 gig ICEQ. very well priced card...seen it for 220$ in stores in Toronto. Not sure how prices are on ur end.
February 9, 2009 1:50:38 PM

Relative performance?

Relative to what?
Performance in what?

Thats a terrible benchie L1qu1d. Wouldnt base an opinion on that.
February 9, 2009 2:45:37 PM

Relative performance benchmarks for games. Techpower. Thats an accurate benchmark. I didn't base my opinion on it, but its a good benchmarks testing.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Leadtek/GeForce_GTX_...

Its a good site, and thates the avg performance tally of all the games they tested at all resolutions in general.

They have others;)

Thats not a direct statement, its an opinion like VGA charts in general. But these actually make sense:) 

February 9, 2009 9:45:04 PM

I was thinking between Sapphire 4870 1 gig or evga gtx 260
February 9, 2009 10:06:24 PM

robert4561 said:
I was thinking between Sapphire 4870 1 gig or evga gtx 260


You really can't go wrong with either card as they're pretty damn close to each other in performance. The EVGA card will have the better warranty (lifetime vs 2 years for the Sapphire card) and EVGA has the "step-up" program if you're one of those people that's crazy (or rich) enough to upgrade your card after 90 days so these are things to consider. Another thing to consider is that the GTX200 cards are a freakish 10.5" long and won't fit in a lot of cases while the 4870 is only just over 9" long and will fit in most cases without problems. (Make sure you measure before buying!)

I've owned both EVGA (6600GT and 7600GT) and Sapphire cards (X1950Pro, HD4670, and HD4850) and haven't had problems with any of them. I'd go with whichever one you can get a better deal on.
February 10, 2009 12:36:42 AM

Just_An_Engineer said:
You really can't go wrong with either card as they're pretty damn close to each other in performance. The EVGA card will have the better warranty (lifetime vs 2 years for the Sapphire card) and EVGA has the "step-up" program if you're one of those people that's crazy (or rich) enough to upgrade your card after 90 days so these are things to consider. Another thing to consider is that the GTX200 cards are a freakish 10.5" long and won't fit in a lot of cases while the 4870 is only just over 9" long and will fit in most cases without problems. (Make sure you measure before buying!)

I've owned both EVGA (6600GT and 7600GT) and Sapphire cards (X1950Pro, HD4670, and HD4850) and haven't had problems with any of them. I'd go with whichever one you can get a better deal on.


XFX makes ati now and they have the 4870 with double lifetime warranty
February 10, 2009 2:18:04 AM

Hmm the XFX 4870 512 is the same price as Sapphires 4870 1 gig in newegg, is worth paying 50 dollars extra for the warranty?
February 10, 2009 2:22:38 AM

i think so, i just bought a 4850 from xfx
February 10, 2009 2:26:50 AM

xxcoop42xx said:
XFX makes ati now and they have the 4870 with double lifetime warranty


Good point. I've always heard good things about XFX although I've never owned one of their cards. They do seem to come at a bit of a price premium however as the XFX cards seem to be the most expensive 4870 1GB cards despite the fact that they are only using the reference cooler. I'd personally have a hard time buying the XFX when I could get the same card with a much nicer cooler from another company for less money.
February 10, 2009 2:46:14 AM

I personally thought that Sapphire made the best ATI cards but I have no experience with no other brand so I can't really say much.
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2009 3:05:29 AM

XFX has an awesome double lifetime warranty that kicks the crap out of Evga's step up program. (which is like valid for only 30 days anyways)

February 10, 2009 3:28:16 AM

wait wat? EVGA step up is 3 months dude....and BFGs is 100 days with both companies having lifetime warranty, and EVGA having Voltage adjustments now.

I would grab a 4870 512 over a 4870 1 gig just because of the brand. I'd go with the Saphire 4870 1 gig if its priced the same.
February 10, 2009 3:33:12 AM

robert4561 said:
I personally thought that Sapphire made the best ATI cards but I have no experience with no other brand so I can't really say much.


There's not much difference between the different cards makers really. Sapphire just happens to be the largest ATI exclusive partner.
February 10, 2009 4:23:36 AM

But sapphire does a blue PCB still, don't they? My old one would look awful nice in my acrylic case.
!