Sign in with
Your question

Core 2 Quad Q8200 VMware Support

Last response: in Components
April 11, 2009 2:59:56 AM

Hey guys,

Being on a budget, I've just purchased a PC with Core 2 Quad Q8200. From reading literature on this, I see it doesn't support Virtualization Technology so I'm wondering if this machine (with 4GB of RAM, which I will be upgrading to 8GB depending on your response) will be able to successfully run several VMware machines.

Thanks in advance for any advice provided,
Jen
April 11, 2009 3:24:09 AM

Don't go 8gb cause you will be bottlenecking. 4gb is about max as of now. Even the 6gb i7 users buy is only cause of the triple channel RAM and 3gb isn't enough. By "doesn't support virtualization technology" they didn't mean that you couldn't run VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC. It's hard to explain what they did mean... you'll learn one day and it'll make sense. You will be able to run VMWare and stuff but your main OS will run slower for the time while you are running the virtual machine.
Related resources
April 11, 2009 3:28:17 AM

mamw93 said:
Don't go 8gb cause you will be bottlenecking. 4gb is about max as of now. Even the 6gb i7 users buy is only cause of the triple channel RAM and 3gb isn't enough. By "doesn't support virtualization technology" they didn't mean that you couldn't run VMWare or Microsoft Virtual PC. It's hard to explain what they did mean... you'll learn one day and it'll make sense. You will be able to run VMWare and stuff but your main OS will run slower for the time while you are running the virtual machine.

Thanks for the advice, I will stick with the 4GB. With my main OS (Windows Home Premiem 64-bit) performing slowly whilst running VMs, how will the virtual machines perform?
April 11, 2009 3:32:27 AM

No. No VT tech = no Virtual Machine support.
April 11, 2009 3:48:21 AM

If you have a 64 bits OS, then having 8 gb of RAM is a good idea. 32 bits cannot use more that 4 Gb (cannot even use the whole 4 gb of ram...).

Not having virtualization may prevent you from virtualizing 64 bits OS, but you will be able to use virtual machine. You don't need VMware to test. Use Sun VirtualBox. It's free, and really good. I'm using it a lot. On my Phenom 9500 with 4gb (3.25 available to system) I run Windows 7 really well. Having a fast HDD helps here. And I will be adding 4 more GB of RAM to really have better virtualization performance. I like to run Ubuntu as well as 7 at the same time, while doing plenty of thing on the main OS.
April 11, 2009 2:35:15 PM

You can run VMware on that CPU just fine, would be better with VM support but it will still work fine. I've used VMware, VirutalPC and VirtualBox on Semprons, Athlon64s, Pentium4s and Core2 Duos and they all work (a bit slow but I have to use sh*t PCs).

Since you have a 64 bit OS then I would invest in getting 8 gigs of RAM, as this will potentially reduce paging which can only help.

I personally prefer VMware, which is free too.
April 11, 2009 3:38:38 PM

The E8200 does not support Intel VT technology. This technology provide some extentions to enable support of 64 bit guests in a VM enviroment. It also will give a small speed advantage compaired to a non VT enabled computer. However the E8200 will run VMware with no problem at all.

As for the 8Gb of ram that would depend on two factors.
1. The host O/S is a 64 bit version.
2. You are running more than one VM on the conputer.
If the answer to both of these are yes then 8Gb will be fine.
April 11, 2009 11:30:51 PM

Thank you very much for the advice/info. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jen

April 12, 2009 12:16:09 AM

miss_fugg said:
Thank you very much for the advice/info. Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jen

Which version of VMWare will you run ? I'm tempted to try the Linux version of VirtualBox. I want to see if it will be faster since the Linux kernel is less hard on system's ressources.
!