No signal to moniter and no POST beep codes

NitroSuperSonic

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I have a friend who's computer when shut downed, wont seem to want to boot up anymore. I've tried resetting the bios and have search in many other forums but failed to solve his problem.

Specs

Core 2 duo 6850 @3.0
Intel dp35dp
xfx 8800gt xxx
ocz 700 watt psu
4gb of corsair 800mhz ram

again, i've searched with google and most of the other tech forums for an answer, they all come up with the steps that ive already tried, the most common one was trying to reset the cpu with new thermal paste witch i have done 3 times already. ive tried his gpu on my computer and it works fine. I'm convinced that his motherboard is out the window but id like to have some more experienced people help my friend with his problem

There's a build checklist here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-build-post-checklist

After the checklist, try this:

Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding" - from the 1920's homebrew radio days. I always breadboard a new or recycled build. It lets me test components before I go through the trouble of installing them in a case.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to successfully POST (generally a single short beep).

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a
time.

NitroSuperSonic

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009

Most of that has already been tried, still no success booting up to post.