Is overclocking safe?

No, there are passages in almost all holy books forbidding Overclocking as the work of the Dark one :p

But I'm not religious so I overclock mine to 3.5Ghz on four cores from 2.9Ghz on three, No issues at all, read some guides on here about your specific chip and have fun man :p
Moto

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Depends on the processor as each has its own thermal design. The general rule is to never exceed 60 degrees on a C2D/C2Q under prime 95. I know some people are willing to push it up to 70, but my standards have always been more conservative.

When gaming, your temp should generally not surpass 50 - 55 degrees.

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Overclocking is 100% safe, you can't break a processor by upping the clocks.

However overvolting and high heat is 100% not safe but voltage is required for overclocking and heat is a byproduct.

Manufacturers have recommended margins for overvolting. If you are worried, just stick with those limits and get as many clocks and you can out of it.

Heat can be removed by a good heatsink.

True, it can only be moved around until it's molecular state changes, the molecules still exist in some form though but for the purposes of moving the heat away from a processor, heatsinks and fans or cooling blocks on a W/c system are what we have to work with :p
Moto