Sign in with
Your question

Is AVR needed if you have a high end PSU?

Last response: in Components
April 11, 2009 10:39:45 AM

Hi! I would like to ask if AVR is needed even though I already have a high end psu like Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W. And also what UPS should I use for that kind(wattage and stuffs) of psu?

I'll be building a PC with these specs:

ASUS P5K Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Kingston 2GB DDR2-800
Palit HD4850 Sonic 512MB

Suggestions regarding my PC setup are also welcome. I'm planning to crossfire it in the future so I'm planning to use Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W so I can accommodate the required juice for two VGA (HD4850).
April 11, 2009 3:42:58 PM

What's AVR?
April 11, 2009 3:47:56 PM

What's AVR?
4850 only uses 110W max, so 800W PSU is overkill, good 550W would be plenty.

Mike.
Related resources
April 11, 2009 6:59:02 PM

dnimitz said:
Hi! I would like to ask if AVR is needed even though I already have a high end psu like Gigabyte Odin Pro 800W. And also what UPS should I use for that kind(wattage and stuffs) of psu?

Some UPS have the AVR feature. What that does is allow the UPS to correct for low or high voltages from the wall outlet ("brownouts" or "overvoltages") without using the battery of the UPS. This is an advantage because without AVR, the UPS will switch to battery power and it will shut off as soon as the battery runs out of juice.

A correctly-sized UPS is critical. All UPS have a maximum wattage rating. The wattage rating of the UPS you choose will have to be sufficient to power the devices that you connect to it. If your 800W PSU is running at full load, and say for example it's 80% efficient at full load, it'll use 1000W of electricity. So you'd need a UPS that can supply 1000W. And that doesn't include powering a monitor.

But taking a look at your computer specs, you'll be running way less than your PSU rating. Even with 2 4850 cards and overclocking, probably under 375W at load. So you can get by with a smaller UPS. I'd suggest a UPS rated for 450-500W (assuming computer + monitor are connected to it). UPS manufacturers have sizing tools on their web sites, so it would be a good idea to check those out as well.
a b ) Power supply
April 12, 2009 1:21:41 AM

What is the need for UPS? Do you have power problem in your place? Do you loose power that open?

You may be able to run with plain surge-supressor. Unless your ac power is really screewed up.

Make an assessment of your need so you can spend your money wisely... Buy a better pc hardware.

Its your decision....
April 17, 2009 4:13:59 PM

thanks guys for the input! i now have a better view of what should i do. cheers! :) 
March 2, 2011 3:12:29 AM

AVR = Automatic Voltage Regulation.

And yes, anyone who uses a desktop computer should use a UPS. Please if you dont know about computers, or what they should have... your reply to the question is not helping. If you don't know a computer should have a UPS, then you don't know about computers.

Every computer should have AVR, AVR prevents the computer from losing steady power required for its current task(s). Anything such as turning on a TV, or even an AC or water heater kicking on can cause the voltage level to drop below the voltage required. These variations in voltage can cause your computer to eventually slow down or even blue screen.

I was recently informed some power supplies over supply the computer with power to prevent a dip in the required power. Not sure which power supplies, if any, actually due this. This would prevent the need for AVR in a UPS though.

As far as the "Why would you need a UPS, is your power that bad" comment. No power is reliable, for example the 8 states that all lost power because of NY. No power is 100% reliable, and any chance to current work or projects is always a good chance and well worth it, especially when you rely on your computer for big school or work projects like me.
!