Sign in with
Your question

Migrating from RAID-0 to Single SATA HDD / Windows 7

Last response: in Storage
July 14, 2010 5:33:26 PM

I have run into an issue where Windows 7 Ultimate x64 enters a reboot loop after moving the installation from a 2x120 GB RAID-0 array to a single 1TB SATA hard drive. It is in a situation where I can't even boot into Safe Mode. The crash/reboot seems to happen somewhere after the classpnp.sys driver.

My hardware: an nVidia 610i/7050-based mini ITX board from Zotac (E5300 CPU, 3GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64) moving from two WD Blue 120GB 2.5" SATA HDDs to a single Seagate 7200.12 1TB 3.5" SATA HDD. The latest drivers from the nVidia web site are installed, including the latest RAID and SATA drivers.

I tried to clone the RAID-0 array two times, with EASEUS Partition Manager Pro 6 Disk Copy, and with Paragon Drive Copy 9.5 (booted from Rescue CD). I had the new drive attached as an external drive via USB, then I replaced the drives (removed the RAID and installed the 1TB drive internally), turned off the RAID mode in the BIOS, performed Windows 7 Startup Repair, and tried to boot.

I have done that sort of migration many times before, but I have never run into this re-booting issue; especially since none of the hardware changed, except for the HDD. Windows starts booting, but then I get a black screen and a restart. I have not been able to figure this one out.

I suspect it may have something to do with the RAID drivers - but that's as far as I got. Hardware defects can be ruled out, as far as the HDDs are concerned. Thanks for any help!
July 15, 2010 9:35:05 PM

I have now attached both - the RAID-0 array and the new hard drive installed at the same time, and the system boots up fine. The new single drive automatically replaced the array as boot drive, effectively hiding the array.

Now I'll just have to remove the RAID-0 array somehow.
m
l
!