Deviation for heatsink coolers

jrhii

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
A lot of people have their own preferences and opinions between heatsinks for CPUs, and many people like to point over to frostytech. At the same time, there are coolers that may rank lower on frostytech, but have performed better in otherplaces, such as benchmark reviews. An example would be the Scyth Mugen 2, which is lower on the list in Frosty, but had good recommendations at benchmark reviews.

I realize they each have their own methodologies, and that heatsinks can also perform differently in different cases, but I would like to know how much everybody thinks the difference between methodology effects the testing, and which site they think has the best methodology.

Also, how much does one think that quality control from the manufacturers comes into play. For example, Frostytech may have gotten a heatsink that has been made with tolerances bigger or smaller than the master design for that particular heatsink, and as a result, it performs worse than or better than the average heatsink that company ships out.

I don't like Frostytech simply because they retail heatsinks.
Selling and reviewing the product is a conflict of interest imo.
I prefer websites like this one and others like the one you mention.
My favourite is SPCR who have the proper equipment for testing.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/