Have 1200 dollars to spend

jujja

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
So im planning on buying a new system.

I already have the monitor.

The spec should be towards gaming, Online gaming.

Also... I want it to be quite, no loud fans etc.
passive cooling on graphic??

It usually is the graphic card that makes the sound??

Hard drive doesnt have to be any fancy stuff, 500 gig. 100 dollars?

Ram 6 gig. 200 dollars?

Cpu. Not sure if i should pick intel or Amd? passive cooling? 150 dolalrs?

A Graphic card for around 200 dollars would be enough, passive cooling?

MB. Not sure there either, 150 dollars for that maybe?

I know that a good graphic card before a good Cpu is what i want = gaming

PSU. 500W?? passive cooling? 150 dollars?

The box it self, is of no importance... Not to shady tho :p

The system should be around 1200 dollars.

If you find something for 1000 or 1400? please give me your thought anyway.

Also feel free to give me some links of good components.

Thanks in advance

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
couple thoughts

Not sure what you mean by online gaming. Could be nothing for a graphics card to do or you might need a better one.

The most memory that is used on Windows XP is 4 GB, same with Vista 32. Vista 64 can use more and if you went that way it would be better to get 8GB if you need more than 4GB (most people don't)

If quiet is the #1 thing, go with onboard graphics, sound and NIC. A stock fan on the CPU is pretty quiet, and a good case will make it work. HDs can be very quiet now and there are also quiet power supplies.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I'd be careful when consider passive cooling for the gpu. the gpu gets HOT. I ussualy don't reccomend passive cooling for most rigs in general. Would water cooling be a possible solution for you? (this would add an expensive to your rig however)

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

Keep in mind that he will not be able to use all 4 gigs of ram since his GPU and (Someone correct me if im wrong) CPU eat up the total memory it can read. So for instnace a 1gig gfx card would make it so only 3 gigs of ram would be recognized. If your going with a 1200$ build id recommend a 64 bit operating system so you can get at least 4 gigs of ram. If nothing else it will give you room to upgrade.

------------

As for GPU's around 200$ i would recommend a HD4850(150$)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102802

or id go with the more expensive and powerful HD4870 since you said your going to be gaming and the GPU is the most important part of a gaming rig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801

What [online] games do you want to play? If World of Warcrack, the passively-cooled HD3300 IGP on a 790G board would be sufficient, but you'll still need good airflow through your case.

If you want quiet, consider a heavier case. Some of the Antecs are made with 0.8mm steel. They're heavy, but quiet.

I think it is a lot easier to get away with passively cooling an office-apps rig than a gaming rig, which will generate a lot more heat. For quietest air cooling, use the largest fan size you can, e.g. 120mm vs. 80mm.

RadioFlyerr

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Look into Coolermaster Haf the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

3 x 230 mm fans and 1 x 140 mm

Reviews say its quite, heavy, and great airflow.

It's a good price for a full tower but a little expensive for a 1200$ build. Of course i ordered the same case with my 1200$ build this sunday.

Here's a link to my 1200$ build. This way you can get an idea of some part's in your price range and make tweaks. You can save money by getting a cheaper case and getting less / cheaper ram. I'm planning to OC so if you aren't then DDr2 800 will be cheaper also.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=14254607

Final note, it sounds like you want to buy a prebuilt system. www.cyberpowerpc.com is great because you can pick a pc under your budget the customize the parts to how you want your build. It usualy end's up being a little cheaper then building your own. 3 year warranty + life time tech support = win.