Best upgrade opinions please

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Hi, I am having a hard time deciding what to upgrade next. I'm saving up some money thinking $700 may be enough, but I am willing to go higher if the bang is bigger for the buck... I'm mainly looking at a graphics upgrade. If I'm going to spend a huge amount of money, is what I am buying going to make a difference, being noticably worth the amount spent? I'm looking at 295, 280, 480, 5970, 58xx's and anything I haven't listed that would be better? I want a PC that can push FFXIV (its newly released minimum gpu is 9800) to its max without a bump or slur, with room to spare and then even more room to spare. I'd rather have a cold system, and a noise db level of like 40 or less.

System is:
Win7 64

P6T V2
920 OC 3.35ghz
12gb 1600mhz 8-8-8-24-1N
EVGA 250 in SLI mode, 512mb cards
Fatal1ty Champion series Scard
Velociraptor 250gb (also have a backup drive)
750w PSU

Being completely open to opinions, I'm looking to learn aswell
If multiple components are recommended (like 2 GPU's and a PSU) please mention that too. Whichever main upgrade would be the next best step for this system.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: note the minimum spec of 9800 for this game is also the minimum graphics settings. It will go way higher.
Also, I realize SLI 480's would beat a 5970, or a SLI of 295's, but my question is, is the cost difference worth the difference in performance between various configurations of hardware.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
What's your monitor's resolution?

Assuming its at least 1680 x 1050, and you have the money, I'd recommend either SLI'd GTX 470s (this will require a psu upgrade as well) or CF'd HD 5850s (you should be fine with your current psu if going with these). I'm not very familiar with this title (other than the short google search) so I'm not sure which architecture (NVidia vs ATI) this game favors (if at all), so someone else will have to tell you that.

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
1920x1080 resolution

What do you think the adverage FPS % increase would be upgrading to SLI 470 over SLI 250s? Doesn't have to be exact.. Just wondering if its like 25% more, or 100% more. (note the 250's are only 512mb ram, superclocked editions)

Thanks

At 1920 x 1080 you already have a good system. You will get diminishing returns from better graphics.
That said, more FPS is better, particularly if the minimum improves. Look for a sizeable jump or you will be disappointed. I would look for sli GTX470 or even a single 5970.

If your 750 w psu is a quality unit, you should be ok with either upgrade.

To get an idea of the FPS increase with a better graphics configuration, Run your games, but reduce the resolution and eye candy to a minimum. This will simulate what will happen if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. If your FPS improves, it indicates that your cpu is capable of driving a stronger graphics card to higher levels of FPS.

In my opinion, the most satisfying upgrade is a second monitor. Not necessarily for gaming today, but to keep e-mail, performance monitors, etc while you are gaming. It is best if it is the exact same monitor that you already have. That makes for consistency of color and seamless expanded desktop. In time, as more games become multi monitor capable you will be ready. If you use two monitors for gaming, be prepared to upgrade your graphics in the future. Look at what it takes for good performance at 2560 x 1600 for an idea.