Hd clicking noise not loadin properly

xxcampbellxx

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
hiya guys im sure there posts about this allready but im never any good at looking in forumns

i bought a sata 2 500gb HD (seagate) ive installed it run very nice but for some reason some times when i turn my pc on it makes a clicking noise and some times it loads up but my pc starts behavin silly so i shutdown and restart it makes clicking noises again but doesnt get detected in bios

so i turn my pc off and changes the sata slot to a different slot and works fine again no clicking nothing run smooth again im not sure whats going on but i only bought it on sunday the 11th off this month

D

Deleted member 217926

^ +1

Clicking noises mean the drive is going to die soon. Maybe a month maybe next time you turn on the computer. Back up your data as soon as you can and get a new drive. It should still be under warranty. Even new drives can fail.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It is also possible you have loose cables to the drive. I say this because you report (on rather short experience) that if you move the data cable to a different port it works fine for a while, then starts to act badly again. the cable may be shaking loose over time. That can cause bad data reads even if the drive itself is OK.

alphanode

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I will say this. I have several (4) 1.5 TB seagate 7200.11 drives (or something like that) and EVERY ONE OF THEM when they first were installed on the computer would make clicking noises for about a minute before the computer would boot up

(none of these are my primary drive)
one of them ended up failing completely - at which point it made clicking noises that never stopped and the computer never booted
another one often makes clicking noises and i think is on its way out b/c i had some problems when i attempted to install windows onto it (froze, had to run disk check on it, etc.)
the other two make clicking noises when they start up, but are fine otherwise, ocasionally making loud clicking noises when accessing lots of data.

so, just as important as the clicking noise is what follows the clicking noise? It is just the same clicking pattern over and over again? Probably a dead drive. Is it clicking with whir-ing every so often, not in a specific pattern? Drive might just be trying to read data.

Another piece of advice i would give is ensure the drive is level. Try it both flat on its bottom like it would normally be installed and also try and standing straight up on its side. Any angle in between shouldn't stop the drive from working in theory, but in practice - it may not be the best idea.

Is the clicking pretty loud and sounds like a clock, or is it softer and sounds more like something whirling. I have seen disks click when they were not getting enough power, and some models make a small clicking noise when running. Seagate is one of the brands that I have heard make that noise.