Amd phanom2 x4 or core i7

hoodlum80

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
hi ppls

i just bought i7 940 mindblowing cpu but i want to ask can it be that the amd phanom 2 x4 black is stronger the the i7 the price win but what is the diffrence in amd cpu and intel i7 the stronger in each category is it true that if i put the same amout of money on amd pc i could get stronger pc

plz answer

loneninja

Distinguished
The Phenom II only competes with the Core2Quad. I7 is in a league of it's own standing above the Phenom II and C2Q. Although the Phenom II isn't far behind the I7 in most games and some other tasks, the I7 is superior for multi threaded situations.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Phenom II 940 overclocked to a decent speed will outperform low to mid end Core2Quads and maintain a relatively equal speed with the higher ends (Q9550+).

Core i7 outperforms both PII and C2Q, except in gmaes. In games the i7 may gain a slight lead, but it is negligible. In stuff like video encoding and stuff, i7 will leave the others in the dust.

So if you were trying to make an i7 system under 1000, a PII system would beat it overall, due to the fact that you can spend the difference in CPU cash on other stuff.

Over 1000 tho, i7 will take the cake.

Personally I would have gone with the i920, not the i940, and just oc it.

The i920 D0 stepping that Anandtech tested was 4.3GHz stable on air. The only mailorder place I know of that guarantees a D0 stepping, and not the older C0 stepping, is Tankguys and they charge a premium. So, I plan to wait a month or so and then visit my local Microcenter and select one based on the label. Microcenter was clearing out the C0s at $200 recently.