XFX 680i LT Bios Flash Fail

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I downloaded the Bios update and put it on a disc and it ran and appeared to flash the bios, but upon restart, I am still running the P06 Bios (the new update is to P08).

I also heard you could flash it to the regular 680i bios as well, which I may attempt if I can get the P08 to work first, so that if it doesnt work, I can go back.

I need to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have the ISO file with the bios update. I burned it to a CD with MagicISO. I also have Nero 9, if there is a good way to do it from there.

When it begins to boot from CD, I get an error, something about it not being able to flash my DVD drive or something, so I abort that, but then it continues and does the flash thing that I saw before when I flashed to P06. This is not the first time I have flashed, so I dont really know what the problem is this time.

I submitted a trouble ticket to XFX, but god knows what that will get answered, so I thought I would try here since most of my questions get answered here.

Thanks
Z

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I'll give you the instructions on how to flash by CD but I would only flash by CD (beta) if I don't have a USB stick available, flashing by USB stick unsupported, no floppy, or the bios rom is too big (1Mb) to fit on a floppy with system boot files. Recommended flashing methods in this order, USB stick, floppy, CD as a last option.

Flashing by CD (beta). Note: awdflash will be used as an example only, if this is not your bios tool DON'T use it.

Go here: http://www.bootdisk.com/
Download: Need To Flash Your BIOS On A PC With No 1.44, (click on 1.44 and save "FLASHCD.ISO" to desktop, if its in a archive extract it)

You will need an ISO application, UltraISO, MagicISO, etc; Use the ISO software to open FLASHCD.ISO. Now drag awdflash and BIOS.BIN into FLASHCD.ISO and "Save" If you double-click on FLASHCD.ISO you should see awdflash and BIOS.BIN if you followed the procedure correctly. Now burn FLASHCD.ISO to a CD. It must be burned as a CD image or it will not load on boot.

Boot into the bios and make sure CDROM is first boot. Restore bios setup defaults before flashing bios, usually F5. Put the CD in with your bios update and hit F10 to save bios setting and reboot.

When the CD autoruns you will come to a screen with some info telling you where your files are, example:

a:\FLASHCD
r:\Bios ROM, etc;

Just remember your flashing tools will be on the second, click continue to go to the next screen. Now you have to change the drive letter, at the a:\prompt type "r:" without the quotes and press enter, your drive letter should be "r" now.

Type awdflash and press enter, this will open the Award tool. Enter the path to the ROM and follow the instruction. r:\BIOS.BIN

When the flash is complete it will let you know, do not touch anything during this process or you'll be sorry. When prompted to reboot, do so and boot back into the bios. Shut the computer down by PSU power switch and unplug the PSU. Remove CMOS battery and discharge the motherboard by holding in the power button while touching the chassis for approx 30 sec. Re-install battery and post. Don't forget to re-apply your settings.

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I never have much luck at XFX website, shouldn't have to register to get a user manual. Check your motherboard manual its in there I'm sure. If you can't find it post back.

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I just looked through it and I dont see anything. All it says on the XFX site is to burn the files to CD and boot from the CD. Doesnt really tell you anything specific.

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
WoW, okay see my method above if you are having problems with their method. It has been personally tested I had to downflash awhile back which ASUS does not support and my ROM was to big for a floppy with boot system files. Just remember there is always risk involved no matter what the method is.

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Not that I have done this yet, but what happens if something goes wrong, like the BIOS gets corrupted or whatever happens? Is there a way to fix that?

Just want to know everything here before I try this.

Thanks for the info as well

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009

These words "there is always risk involved" mean just that. If the bios corrupts you are temporary out of commission. There are ways to reverse the situation but they rarely work and surely never worked for me. If the bios chip is removable you can replace the chip but the easiest way is to simply RMA the motherboard and let them deal with it assuming you have a warranty. Flash the bios out of necessity, not because a new ROM appeared on the website.

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Well the reason all stems from a prior problem that I am guessing is the mobo. Every now and then, it starts going through the post screen, detects my main HDD, then stops for a while. It will eventually continue, but does not detect my DVD-ROM drive. I have flashed that and it works properly, I was just hoping a BIOS flash would help me out in that respect. And it would be nice to have the 680i BIOS as I heard it offers some better stability and options when overclocking.