Sign in with
Your question

I7 920 at 100% CPU Usage?! HELP!

Last response: in CPUs
April 11, 2009 9:01:16 PM

Hey everyone...

I may be freaing out over nothing... (i have a tendency to do that! LOL) but could any of you have an answer for the following...

I just got a new comp custom built.. the build is as follows:
CPU: i7 920
Motherboard: Asus P6T
Ram: 12 gig @ 1600 mhz
HDD: 1 Terr (only one hard drive at the moment)
Video Card: ATI 4870 @512 MB

I have the "gadgets" running on the right side and put the "CPU/RAM Usage" one on. I noticed that it almost always stays around 4-8% for CPU and 12-18% for RAM, even ifi have itunes, MS Word, and 6 Internet Explorer tabs up....

But when i ran my AVG Free scan (whole system scan)... i saw that the "CPU Usage" jumped up to nearly 97% on that little gadget!!!! There was NO noticable slow down at all on the comp. I like wouldnt have even known had it not been for the gadget thing showing it....

So based on the above... is there something wrong...? Or is that normal...? Also, are there any benchmark or performance testing website/software that would be worth checking out to see how my system stacks up...?

Your advise/ knowledge is GREATLY appreciated!!!

More about : 920 100 cpu usage

a b à CPUs
April 11, 2009 10:27:08 PM

While running AVG click ctrl/alt/del and start the task manager. Under the performance tab it will show you the exact usage of all cores (4 or 8 with HT on) and the ram usage. Under the processes tab you can see what is running.

As for the benchmarks, there are loads of them (super pi, 3dmark Vantage, sisoft sandra, etc.), but if your system isn't OCed I wouldn't suggest it as you will probably not be very happy with the results.
a c 325 à CPUs
April 11, 2009 11:01:41 PM

It is shocking how capable the i7 is. It takes a multi core enabled program like prime95, or, I presume avg free scan to drive all cores to 100%.
Such tasks will normally run at a lower priority so that they will not interfere with other tasks.
I think your operation is normal.

A simple metric is the windows experience index. It is in control panel/system.
It will rate several components of your system such as cpu, ram, graphics. The top rating is currently 5.9

Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2009 11:46:47 PM

geofelt said:

A simple metric is the windows experience index. It is in control panel/system.
It will rate several components of your system such as cpu, ram, graphics. The top rating is currently 5.9

Just a small problem with WEI, the newer processors and parts all score 5.9, they have changed this in Windows 7, but for now most computers (even mine with a dual core) will all max out that rating.

a c 325 à CPUs
April 12, 2009 12:00:43 AM

RJR said:
Just a small problem with WEI, the newer processors and parts all score 5.9, they have changed this in Windows 7, but for now most computers (even mine with a dual core) will all max out that rating.

The number goes higher with W7. The individual components do not all go up to 5.7; it depends. If you are all at 5.7 you have a very good PC.
For example, my backup PC has:
E8400 at stock 3.0 = 5.7
4gb ddr2-800 = 5.9
7600GS= 4.3 for aero, 4.6 for gaming
150gb raptor=5.9

This used to be a top end machine. Times change.
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2009 12:18:37 AM

Yes, with windows 7 they upped it to 7.9 (i believe) from 5.9 so you could see a difference.

But, with the OP's system it is a given he will only see all 5.9's.

My system isn't state of the art (not even close) but still scores all 5.9's (E8400@4.05 Ghz, Velociraptor, DDR2-1066, 8800GT), thats why I'm stating it's not a real good indicator of performance since his i7 system would destroy mine in any other benchmark.

April 12, 2009 2:54:21 AM

RJR said:
While running AVG click ctrl/alt/del and start the task manager. Under the performance tab it will show you the exact usage of all cores (4 or 8 with HT on) and the ram usage. Under the processes tab you can see what is running.

As for the benchmarks, there are loads of them (super pi, 3dmark Vantage, sisoft sandra, etc.), but if your system isn't OCed I wouldn't suggest it as you will probably not be very happy with the results.

Hmmm... I did this and it shows all 4 CPUS at nearly 100%. Then AS SOON as AVG stops running, it drops back down to 4-6% usage.... VERY odd...

Here is a screenshot of what i'm looking at...

During AVG Free AntiVirus computer scan... Notice the CPU usage "meter" on the right and the also the usage dispayed on the Task Manager

Here is the usage AFTER the test was immedately done... notice the CPU usage drops SIGNIFICANTLY.....

Does that seem normal to anyone...?
(mind you... i see or feel NO affects of this "100% CPU usage"... just what the meters and Task manager shows me..)

April 12, 2009 3:19:47 AM

AVG uses as much CPU power as it can get its mitts on while scanning to make it go as quickly as possible. However, it doesn't use 100% of the CPU 100% of the time, there are slight breaks as it's loading up the next file(s) to scan, which means your system can still run very happily.

I wouldn't be surprised if it also had a system that only uses idle resources and scales back what it uses if you load up something else that requires some CPU power, it's not exactly an uncommon practice in background applications.

And the reason your CPU usage drops to idle after the scan's done? Simple... the scan's done so it doesn't need to eat CPU power anymore... what's odd with that?

As for the WEI, don't go by it, it's acceptable as a very rough overview of your system's performance, but I wouldn't consider it a reliable representation. My system hits 5.9 on everything in Vista, and in Windows 7 most of them were hitting the max in that (7.9 I think), only HDD and CPU weren't, though since then I've RAIDed my HDDs and pushed my CPU's overclock further so I wouldn't be surprised if those figures were hitting the top end too.
April 12, 2009 4:24:19 AM

Flippin out over nuttin. With things like virus scan and intense programs it's normal to have a spike like that no matter the processor.
April 13, 2009 6:45:52 AM

I just tried to run AVG 8.0 ver. On my Phenom II Quad clocked at 3.6ghz and I am showing with a fast scan and 4 internet pages up around 10-56% across total for cores. It is spliting the load almost even arcoss all four cores. Speed was set on auto for scan speed setting and I bumped it up to fast scan..., and I have a raid 0 setup with WD 640gb blacks, and a seagate 1.5 tb hardrive. Not sure on a time frame yet its still running.

To the OP, did you notice a speed increase in with it running this way and what kinda times have you noticed for it to finish thr a scan?
!