Any sugguestions would be greatly appreciated...

sgtbomber

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I have been lurking around these forums, learned alot but I am stumped with these issues.

I have 3 issues

My first custom gaming PC:

Thermaltake Armor+MX
GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz
GeForce GTX 260
G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066
Seagate 500GB
Rosewill 950W
G15 board/G5 mouse
Samsung 2433 x 2, 24" lcd
XP Pro 32 bit FTW (don't like vista)

All my drivers are up to date. I dont think its a software issue.

Problems:

-blue crash screen only once in awhile. This happens really fast. I get a blue screen then my pc reboots while all the power is on. This is not a power supply issue cause I hve a Geek Squad UPS....I have friends looking into this issue also. Any advice would help.

-while watching a video or playing games, pc jumps back to the windows desktop. Very annoying. I even locked my windows key with my G15 keyboard and this still happens. My resolution is at 1900x1600 and my vid card and support this no prob.

-"When playing any movie files or any sound files, I hear
what can be best described as intermittant studders in the
sound playback. This studder is basically a short, half-
second continuation of whatever tone was being played at
the time of the studder. When watching a movie file,
spoken words end up coming through as a sort of short
buzzing noise, after which, audio continues to play until
the next studder.

I've investigated the problem to the best of my ability,
but have reached an impasse. All my drivers appear to be
up-to-date, I've tweaked the hardware acceleration and am
basically lost now."-Matt Warren described this best. Yeah what he said. This is exactly what happens to me. He found a solution by moving his sound card to a lower location on his Mobo. I can not do this because of my onboard sound card.

Other then that my pc works great!!! but this is really annoying me.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bomber.

Your BSOD problem could be RAM related. Did you manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS? With a lot of Gigabyte boards, you have to press CTRL+F1 to unlock the advanced BIOS options including the RAM timings. Have you run memtest86+ for a few hours to check for RAM errors?

sgtbomber

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I did manually set the RAM timing/voltage to the manufacturers specs in my BIOS afew weeks ago. I thought that was kinda strange to see the settings off.

I have not ran the memtest86+ yet. I will do that next.

sgtbomber

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
@ JSC-RAM, will see. As for temp & power, this is not an issue. I have a coolmasters thermaltake armor + MX and it keeps me very cool at 51c at idle and 79c full load and a UPS from Geek Squad.

@Dxrick- I have not yet disabled my onboard sound. If I do this, then I wont have sound when I game.......

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
When stated earlier i'm assuming Dxrick meant that its a poor grade PSU. This could cause problems simlar to the symptoms your having. Not that you're not getting "clean power" from the wall.

For your jumping from a game back to windows, you might also want to check the mouse. Might have something programmed in the mouse keys that you're not expecting.

This in my experience this is usually 1 of 3 things.
RAM. If it is running at spec, up the voltage slightly, like from 2.1 to 2.15.

PSU. Although it should be plenty at 950 watts, that does not mean as someone else suggested you are getting a good clean supply of power from it. Rosewill PSU's are not heavily recommended by most enthusiast's or self builders.
First thing I would do after raising the voltage on the memory a little, is try another PSU.

Heat. I assume the temps you listed are for your GPU? If they are you are good there.
If these are your CPU temps, you have just found your problem.

sgtbomber

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Sorry i was not specific.. these are readings of my gpu... for some reason i can not find a software program to read my cpu... I have dled afeww programs but I think my mobo does not allow the read.. Is there any that you could recommend?

TRENDING THREADS