GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P -- POST Freeze?

danemcrae

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Hello all, I've got a problem that I've found myself thoroughly stumped on.

Here's my specs:

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30
Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
2 x ATI Radeon HD 4850 in Crossfire
WD 500GB Hard Drive [can get model if requested]
Seagate 750GB Hard Drive [can get model if requested]
Windows XP 64bit Edition

Here's the situation:

Basically since I built this computer, I've had it at my friends house. It worked fine there, minus some weird corrupt-recovery of my user account logon. I brought it home yesterday, as they are moving soon, and I set it up. I turned it on, and it hangs on the loading screen. It got through post just fine, but the windows loading bar kept moving. I'm a pretty handy computer guy, imho, but I can be lazy. So I did everything that I could think of that I had at my direct disposal.

I tried to get into BIOS, this is the weirdest part. I hit DEL to get in, and it freezes. I restart, hit DEL again at a different point in the POST, it freezes. I turned it off, cleared the CMOS, and hit DEL again, freezes. Cleared CMOS, let it run, got through POST, and had a Checksum error that gave me options for BIOS profiles. I press the down key to check my options, and it freezes. Restart, checksum error, I let the timer run out and it hangs on the loading screen again. I can get into Safe Mode, weirdly.

After I noticed that the keyboard doesn't cause a freeze after Verifying DMI, and grabbed my XP64 disc. I wanted to run a chkdsk /r, but when it got to "Setup is Loading Windows" it hung. So basically, everything freezes except for Safe Mode.

Then I started on the hardware. Swapped keyboards [both PS/2], same. I unplugged all but one ram and tried. Same. Switched sticks, same. Took out one video card, same. Swapped cards, same. Unplugged hard drives, in case it was a power problem, same. I even moved the computer to a different outlet, same.

I really can't think of anything else to do. I'm thinking maybe RMA the board, because everything else doesn't change it. Any other ideas?

danemcrae

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Update: It appears that it just takes a LONG time to boot. So the main problem right now is A) Any key press before IRQ table makes it freeze and B) Super Long boot.

an0n

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Disconnect the seagate drive and try again. If it's a 7200.11 model, you're probably experiencing firmware troubles.