Sign in with
Your question

Help overclocking in sli...dual 9800 gt

Last response: in Overclocking
July 5, 2010 8:22:58 PM

Hey guys, I'm running 2 9800 gt in sli. I want to overclock them but I cannot decide how to do it. I want to use Ntune but I hear it is not working for sli. Some say use rivatuner does it and others say it is a mess so I'm lost. Can I use the bios would that be better? Also would there be a big increase in performance if I overclocked my memory as well? Finally if anyone could recomend any stress testers for my gpu and CPU to see if it is stable that would be appreciated. Thank you
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 6, 2010 3:02:18 PM

I have a crossfire config but it's somewhat similar to sli... I like to OC with MSI Afterburner. Easy and works. It comes with Kombustor or you could get FurMark for gpu stressing. Just fyi, to OC I need to do each card separately as trying to change the clocks on both cards at the same time tends to cause errors/freezes.
If by memory you mean RAM, then no not really. If you mean the GPU memory, then yes quite a bit.
As for CPU stress tests you can use LinX or Intel Burn Test (similar) or Prime95... there's others I think SuperPi is another or OCCT.
m
l
July 7, 2010 3:19:30 AM

ok so first things first nice setup and thanks for the reply. When you say that you do both cards seperatley do u mean u physically take out each card and do them one at a time or the software does that because I saw a video where he took the gpu out of the computer? If your software does it do you know if Nvidias does as well? And if not do you know if your program will work on my 9800gt in sli? Last thing, furmark that benchmarks your system as well correct? Your help is greatly appreciated thanks. -kamikazi
m
l
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 7, 2010 2:28:19 PM

You don't have to take it out physically, it's just in some tuning/OC programs you can set it to change the clocks on both the cards in sli/cf at the same time but I've had issues with that. So basically I just select GPU 1, tweak, select GPU 2, tweak, then test. Afterburner does work with Nvidia cards, although I've had some issue with getting custom fan profiles to work on my GT240. I've read there is a solution tho but I don't know it off the top of my head.

FurMark doesn't really test the system, just graphics. Something like 3DMark Vantage can do everything but it's a pay to use program.
m
l
July 7, 2010 2:35:38 PM

ok i guess ill try both to see my performance difference before and after. thanks for the input. -kamikazi
m
l
!