ATI - anything new on the horizon?

Anyone here news on what's coming down the line this year from ATI? I'm stuck on deciding if I want to get a 4870 or wait.
16 answers Last reply
More about horizon
  1. ATI RADEON HD6000 with GDDR6, w/ 2 GPU cores clocked @ 800MHz and 2GB of RAM each

jking
  2. just get the 4870. the 5870 isnt supposed to give a substantial upgrade in performance vs the 4870 anyways. and if nothin else, just sell your 4870 when the new stuff comes out ;)
  3. cool, that's kind of the conclusion i'm getting to. Although BSD's information seems enticing =P
  4. nubb said:
    Anyone here news on what's coming down the line this year from ATI? I'm stuck on deciding if I want to get a 4870 or wait.

There probably won't be anything faster than the 4870 released for a while. The next card scheduled to be released is a 40nm RV740 based card that will probably be designated as HD4750 or something like that. It's due to launch towards the end of the 1st quarter (possibly as the start of Q2 if there are delays). No real details have been released yet, but I suspect that it will be something like HD4830 performance in a card with the size and power consumption of the HD4670.
  5. Nothing for months, but the summer launch season looks interesting.
  6. Prices on 4870 and especially 4850s are pretty good right now.

Early reports indicate that the RV870 chip code named "Little Dragon" is projected to give only a 20% increase in speed. I don't believe this will be enough to overcome Nvidia's GT300 chip which will be available end of next quarter. I say this because Nvidia is going to DDR5 and that alone should probably yield a 20% increase in speed worse case scenario and I don't think ATI will be able to overcome that margin.

I say buy a 48XX card now.
  7. PURE SPECULATION - firstly I heard that they will be debuting a new card in March, but probably called 49xx, however, not massive change, except the 5xxx badge could logically be kept for DX11 or some big change. There was a really popular thread on it, but I can't find it. I am getting a new rig around march, so I am eagerly awaiting news.......
  8. Damn the sound of the GT300 is enticing, wonder if I should get a great card now, or just something to hold me over till the summer... Where do you guys sell your used cards?? Know any equivalent in the UK???
  9. The 4000 series was a "super chip" pretty much, the jumps in performance from the 3000 series was way above average. So expect gains to go back to "the industry norm" for the 5000 series. But you never know, ATI is definetly back in this game.
  10. Don't drool over the GT300 too much. It still will not be DX10.1 compatible.

The GT300 and the HD5870 are likely not going to go down in history as a classic. To me I see them both as "buffer cards" to hold the market over until the real 'game changers' DX11 cards come out from both the red and green teams in December 2009 to Feb 2010.

To me right now the best value on the market is the HD4850. Many are priced just $20 over the 9800GTs and can offer as much as 22% increase in performance. That is money well spent.
  11. lets leave the whos in what game after we're out of the recession, this can be a breaker for either company:P
  12. ATI and nvidia are having problems with the TSMC 40nm process, so i expect the cards from both manufacturers to be late

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/878/1050878/tsmc-40nm-revealed
  13. L1qu1d said:
    lets leave the whos in what game after we're out of the recession, this can be a breaker for either company:P

+1 to Liqu1d. Let hope all of these economic problems and job losses don't not drag us in to a depression.
  14. i dont understand why microsoft will be releasing directx11 soooo quickly, cause dx9 was around for years before dx10 came out. and when it did, hardly anyone could run the dx10 features lol. (i.e crysis)
    nope! im hangin onto my two 3870s till i cant run anything new that comes out ;)
  15. well it was revisions right?

DX 9c, we went through a b ...each had pretty good benefits over the previous:) From what I remember.

Why not jump into a new dx if its going to improve a little of both? would you rather have them call it dx 10c?

DX 10 = 9.a
    DX 10.1 = 9.b
    DX 11 = 9.c

;)

Just generlizing
  16. ohh yes, i remember the revisions. ok, that does make more sence then. curious to see what improvements will be in the dx11-ness

windows 7 :)))
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards ATI Graphics Product