Sign in with
Your question

Data management with SSD boot drive/HDD data drive

Last response: in Storage
July 15, 2010 7:43:24 AM

I really need some help configuring the drives in my new pc. I have a 160gb intel ssd i want to use for the os and other apps and a 1Tb samsung for data.

i'm just not quite sure how to set up the drives so that all the data is actually saved to the samsung hdd. for instance the my documents/music/pics folders in win7 will be located on the ssd and data saved in those folders will obv be saved to the ssd. should these folders be relocated? should my user profile be moved? or should i just manage all this manually - i.e. every time something is saved, i need to make sure it's going to the hdd and not the ssd?

i've read a ton of stuff about this on the net, but nothing "definitive". any help u could provide would be greatly appreciated.
a c 353 G Storage
July 15, 2010 5:33:42 PM

My Douments - Saw a post that indicated that you could move the folder to say your D-Drive by right clicking and draging to D drive and win 7 would change the pointers. I did this but have not tried placing a file there yet (will do after work today.

Internet temp files. - Go to options and chane location from C:..... To D:\ (Your name for folder)

Move your swap file (virtual memory) to D drive. Make sure you set C drive to no swap file.

Hibernation - Disable, should do from a dos cmd prompt. After done, reboot and run windows clean-up
For Hibernation:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/12/how-to-enable-...
For virtual Memory:
Control panel
Select System Security, then System
On left side select advanced system settings
New window - Select performance tab at top, then select Settings under performance.
Next window, at top select advaced tab at top
Select change virtual memorry

Uncheck the box " Automanage"

This should high lite drives that you can place virual memory.
Select drive D (Any HDD shown, other than C)
Select option to specify size, My recommendation, set min and max to same value ie 6136
After "D" is set, then select C and check box for "No page file"

PS ignore windows warnings as long as you set some virual memory to any drive.

Added:
Ref moving My documents from C:\user .... to d:\My Documents.
OK, got home and scaned a document into paper port. (1) First got error saying could not find document folder. When I told it to save, without specifing were, it saved it to D:\my documents. Will have to look into more.

OK use this method:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Windows-7_-_Moving_My_Documents

m
l
August 9, 2010 5:17:17 AM

Thanks Chief....just the kind of info I'm looking for.
m
l
Related resources
August 9, 2010 9:32:31 AM

Yeah chief thanks a ton, this was very helpful.
m
l
August 11, 2010 7:03:47 PM

Subbed. I'll be installing my ssd in the next few nights and I'll most likely have to read this thread about 10x lol
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
August 12, 2010 6:18:08 PM

With a SSD drive that size, you realy don't need to move so much.

Yes, move your libraires to a data/media drive (I might be the one who wrote the thread about dragging and dropping these folders, as refered to by RetiredChief), not the "User" folder. There is alot of information in that User folder, that will benefit from the use of a SSD.

To do this, just drap and drag the libraries from the C;/Users folder to the root of D;/. The libraires are "My Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos. Windows 7 will then point to there for your data.

And do "disable" hibernation. Hibernation and SSDs don't go so good together.

But as far as moving the Internet Cache, and pagefile ()Virtual Memory), wouldn't you want the quickest access to these files? I'd leave them on the SSD.

What really matters is Windows 7 supports TRIM, which helps the drive "self-optimize" and not degrade over time.

BTW: I'm not trying to belittle RetiredChief, he is a tremendous help, even to me!
m
l
August 13, 2010 12:38:19 AM

Cache and pagefilesnhave frequent writes. Trim may keep performance up but I w old worry about shortening the life of the drive.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
August 13, 2010 3:41:58 AM

23mike, foscooter does have a valid point and I would not worry about shorting the life. There would be "a NEW" must have version by that time.

I prefer the swap file on a 2nd drive (Always did it that way before SSDs).

Always set it up on the 2nd HDD and before any other files are placed on it (Sticks it in the outer tracks for fastest access) and untill this last build it has always been on a raid0 drive. I also always set min and max values to the same value. (1) if on the same drive as operating system (SSD or HDD) it gets stuck in the middle of everything, and if it is allowed to shrink and expand, it plays havoc with fragmentation (pre vista days).
m
l
August 13, 2010 1:15:25 PM

Sorry for the horrid typing, that was typed from the phone.

There is always something mo' better coming out the minute you buy something. I try to target 3 to 4 years of good performance and then if I have a new application, I end up getting/building a new system to match the needs at that point.

Sorry, got interrupted. Anyway, I want my equipment to last and 10,000 writes could come pretty quick with the wipes that have to be done to maintain performance. Just my thoughts. I may be over estimating the # of writes that occur in any one session/day.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
August 13, 2010 8:19:34 PM

23 mike, this is why I'm not to worried about my writes. - I'd be lookly if I averaged 5 gigs per day.
(10K x 80 G)/(365 days x 10 Yrs) = 129 Gigs per day

Some one check my math.

That would be if cells were evenly writen to - not going to happen, may be close.
But for a 10 yr life, that still a lot of data per day. even if my fuzzy math is off a little.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
August 13, 2010 9:56:48 PM

I've read that they are rated to outlast a HDD, due to no mechanical parts.

Sminlal once wrote that they are rated at 20GB/day for 5 years, or was that 5GB/day for 20 years?

From this thread: What is Operational Lifespan in SSD?

Quote:
Intel's claim is actually "at least" 5 years at 20GBytes of writes per day.

You also have to be aware that the static charges on the flash memory cells dissipate over time. The information I've seen suggests the stored data should last around 10 years or so - after that it's probably prudent to back up and restore everything so that the cells are freshly charged.

Still, who writes that much? My OS drive only has 22GB on it. And in 5 years, we'll all store that data in our brains anyway. :p  Or have something like SATA X.
m
l
August 14, 2010 1:20:16 AM

Chief/Fos I pulled the 10,000 # from something I read the other day. I don't think (don't know) enough of the technical details to believe that I can really calculate what the writeups mean and the implications for the longevity.

We all know they didn't TEST the drives for 10 years to see how they will really last.

In my reading (this week, actually), I read about the issues with most 1st gen SSDs and then the Trim/wipe fixes. My understanding is that you have blocks. Each time something is written/deleted then wiped, the system reset the block. The blocks tend not to be full, but, you still have to wipe the whole block in order to re-use it.

Basically, my interpretation of that is that you would double the number of writes for each bit of transient data dropped on the drive over time.

All I'm thinking is data adds up quick. I haven't done any math on this and so I could be thinking like chicken little on the subject, but, until I see some numbers (or stop being lazy and do the math), I'm going to use my new drive for basically static items (i.e., OS, etc.).

In looking at what you wrote and what I wrote (I'm targeting 4 years for the system and the things got a good 10 years of life), I'm probably worrying about nothing.

oh well. Have a pleasant weekend, I have a system I should be building right now. :pt1cable: 
m
l
!