Sign in with
Your question

Building A Computer (Need Help)

Last response: in Components
April 12, 2009 5:25:40 AM

Hi guys, I am brand new here and have heard quite a bit of the reputation of this site and reliability to get people on the right track with their computer related inquiries so I thought that maybe I would stop here and ask for some professional opinions. I also want to apologize if this isn't exactly the right area to be posting this thread in so if it is not correct I would appreciate it if someone could redirect me or if a moderator could move the post for me.

First off let me start by saying that I will be building a gaming machine but within a budget as money is an object for me, so to help you with what kind of budget I am working with let us shoot for somewhere between 1300 - 1500 dollars.

I just recently purchased and is on it's way as I type this a new 28 inch HDMI 1080p monitor in anticipation of building a new gaming machine and I need HDMI video cards / computer to accommodate this to the best I can to get the most out of my new machine.

About a year ago a buddy of mine ordered a new machine as we both needed upgrades bad, we are both long time WoW players in which that game 6800XE video cards run the game just fine. And at the time of our WoW days we were both using 6800 series cards along with all other computer parts that match that video cards era. (outdated computers) it wasn't until we tried to play Age Of Conan with those video cards that reality smacked us across the face at how outdated our computers were and realized we needed to upgrade badly, he had the money at the time to do so, sadly I didn't so he got a 9800GTX Black Edition, Q6600 processor, XFX Mobo to go with it 4GB of gskill RAM, and a new case and once we got his parts in and put that together it ran Age of Conan for him flawlessly, perfect, beautiful. Needless to say I didn't play AoC long because attempting to play it with a 6800 XE at 8-10 FPS and choppy textures was not fun at all, and coupled with the fact that the game is actually pretty boring after tortage. But that was just our opinion anyway sorry to have strayed off on the point of this post, I am just trying to elaborate on how much an upgrade is desperately needed here.

So here I am still on my old 6800XE, 2gb of crappy ram, windows xp, AMD Athlon 64bit 3200+ 2.2ghz single core processor and I am not even using a 64 bit edition of windows so that renders it useless anyway desperately in need of an upgrade. I am aiming to play SC2 and Diablo 3 when they both release and maybe a few other games but those two are definite. I know there are no exact system requirements released for either of those games yet and even if the machine I want is a little much for those games I still want my computer to be pretty good in case I play something that's even more graphic intensive in the future. So now begins my questions for you guys...

For the processor I was kind of at first thinking about getting the Intel Q6600, has amazing reviews (over 3000 reviews and 5 eggs on newegg) that's the one my friend got for his machine last year, and is decently cheap but then there is also the Intel i7 920 nehalem but requires a 1366 socket which there doesnt seem to be an abundance of good motherboards with that socket, but futuremark says that the i7 920 has a little over an extra 4k benchmarks than the Q6600, would that make a dramatic difference on gaming or do I not know what I am talking about, I admit I know a little bit about computers but I don't know all the intricate ins and outs and details of everything, just pretty much the basics of what you need and whats good or bad pretty much. It seems as it is very easy to find a good motherboard for the Q6600 and at a cheaper price than the 1366 especially the new x58 motherboards which I am hearing has alot of trouble with SLI type things or am I just delusional? Please some general help here would be amazing.

Another big road block I am coming into is the video card area.... it seems that the GTX 295 is too expensive for my budget, but should I get two ATI 4870's and put them in SLI or crossfire or whatever you call it, or should I buy one gtx 285 and save up for a second one for SLI later on down the road or even the new 4890's that just came out this video card area has probably been the most troublesome for me and making me question myself about what I want the most.

There is a general description of what I am looking for and any help would be greatly appreciated. Please ask me as many questions as you can like if you want more details on what I might be using the computer for or questions of that nature, ask me anything that might help narrow down what you pro's think the best computer for me might be, thanks so much in advance.

More about : building computer

April 12, 2009 6:47:53 AM

With your budget get i7 and 4870!!!
April 12, 2009 1:42:29 PM

Second that. If your budget is more than, say, $1200, go i7.
April 12, 2009 2:50:55 PM

Well, if you need the computing power, yes you can't beat the i7.

But, if you are building a strickly gaming computer, you can go with an E8400 OCed to 4 Ghz, or an Q6600 OCed to 3.6 Ghz and still be able to get the GTX 295 with a Velociraptor, GOOD PSU, Good MB, Enough Ram for about $1,300.

Lots of choices out there. Have fun.

!