Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade, Worth Doing?

Last response: in CPUs
April 12, 2009 5:40:06 AM

Heya,

I have a Gigabyte GA-M720 Motherboard and want to upgrade my CPU, I currently have an Athlon x2 6000+ I was looking at either a Phenom II X4 920 OR Phenom X4 9950 but i'm not sure if i'll get a good performance boost from doing it, the other alternative I was thinking of, was waiting for the rumoured new Athlons due out in the next couple of months, but I don't have enough details on them.

More about : cpu upgrade worth

April 12, 2009 12:30:19 PM

nunasdream said:
Heya,

I have a Gigabyte GA-M720 Motherboard and want to upgrade my CPU, I currently have an Athlon x2 6000+ I was looking at either a Phenom II X4 920 OR Phenom X4 9950 but i'm not sure if i'll get a good performance boost from doing it, the other alternative I was thinking of, was waiting for the rumoured new Athlons due out in the next couple of months, but I don't have enough details on them.

I'm not a fan of AMD procs, but I'd say that you should go with the Phenom II, I've been hearing good things about it. It would assist in future proofing your computer.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2009 1:58:45 PM

Here's a link to the article indicating a new AMD Phenom II 955 quad core processor will be released on April 20th:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-phenom-cpu,7312.ht...

Another article indicated a variety of AMD Athalon processors might be released in June:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-athlon-phenom-cpu,...

Some of the first AMD Phenom II processors were designed to be backward compatible with AM2+ motherboards and DDR2 memory. In theory that would provide an upgrade path. Buy the cpu first. Upgrade to an AM3 motherboard and DDR3 memory later. After that upgrade to an AMD Phenom II x4 quad core processor.

I bookmarked an excellent cpu performance chart for a variety of software programs, including video editing and popular games. Unfortunately I am not at home. I'll post the link this evening.
Related resources
April 12, 2009 3:10:21 PM

I wish i7 was backwards compatible... :cry: 
April 12, 2009 3:31:37 PM

Nice rig! Much better value than i7s, and probably runs a LOT cooler. i7s apparently (don't quote me on this) have load temps of 80-90 degrees on stock! Not the temps I'd like to have! For a high performance, brand new system, Phenom II is the way to go. Much better than the originals (the gaming benchmarks on them STUNK!).
April 12, 2009 4:03:02 PM

Phenom really sucked, dont go there.

PII is the way to go.
April 12, 2009 4:07:48 PM

The Third Level said:
Phenom really sucked, dont go there.

PII is the way to go.

Yeah! Pentium II speeds are OUT OF THIS WORLD! :lol:  Screaming along at 280MHz!
Jks.
April 12, 2009 5:55:41 PM

Cmon man, pair that Pentium 2 up with 256 mb SDRAM and Windows 98 and a 10gb hard drive, you're all set.
April 12, 2009 6:01:16 PM

or get a pentium mmx, change the die size to 45nm, up the speed to 2ghz and add 63 cores.

Oh wait, thats Larrabee.
April 13, 2009 1:59:22 AM

The Third Level said:
Cmon man, pair that Pentium 2 up with 256 mb SDRAM and Windows 98 and a 10gb hard drive, you're all set.

ROFL. Now that's what you call high end! :lol: 
April 13, 2009 2:12:26 AM

haha P2...thread==high jacked! My first PC that I can remember was a PIII at a scorching 450MHz. Man, it was fast. Could have upgraded to a 600MHz, too.
April 13, 2009 2:20:17 AM

one-shot said:
haha P2...thread==high jacked! My first PC that I can remember was a PIII at a scorching 450MHz. Man, it was fast. Could have upgraded to a 600MHz, too.

I think we've given him all the info that he needs... BTW there is a QOD on the homepage where it asks you what your first computer was. You can post it there, too. My first computer was a 1.8GHz P4 (Socket 478). It fried a couple years later and the parts from it are lying all over our house, and the burnt motherboard is fun to show to friends. But I remember before we got that computer, I used some kind of DOS computer at school (Year 1) which we used for learning. I loved it's weird low pitched beeps that were a sorry excuse for a song... :lol:  Hardly any computers these days have bleepers. I like it that way, they always wake up people if you turn on a computer at night.
!