Do their friends grow up and I want smoother graphics

OK, my teen, Lucy, is friends with cloe(sp?). Will Cloe ever grow up?
What about Orlando? Do they stop being kids? If they don't is it
possible for them to grow up?

Also, I want smoother graphics. I don't have a graphics card, I have a
chip and I have 5121mb of ram...well 600 and something actually. But
the graphics aren't the best. What can I do to improve the graphics
quality. If I need a card, what's the cheapest one I can get? I have a
compusa, bestbuy, circuit city and a tiger direct in my area to buy it
from if they sell it.

Corvy wrote:
> OK, my teen, Lucy, is friends with cloe(sp?). Will Cloe ever grow
up?
> What about Orlando? Do they stop being kids? If they don't is it
> possible for them to grow up?

Apparently you can send them to college with the University Expansion
Pack...which will grow them up.

> Also, I want smoother graphics. I don't have a graphics card, I have
> chip and I have 5121mb of ram...well 600 and something actually. But
> the graphics aren't the best. What can I do to improve the graphics
> quality. If I need a card, what's the cheapest one I can get? I have
> compusa, bestbuy, circuit city and a tiger direct in my area to buy
it
> from if they sell it.

Probably the cheapest would be a GeForce 5200, though they apparently
are a bit glitchy. I dunno enough about ATI to recommend one of those.

>OK, my teen, Lucy, is friends with cloe(sp?). Will Cloe ever grow up?
>What about Orlando? Do they stop being kids? If they don't is it
>possible for them to grow up?

When your teen grows up and moves out use a cheat to move the NPC in
and then age them.

Jeremy Reaban wrote:
> Probably the cheapest would be a GeForce 5200, though they apparently
> are a bit glitchy. I dunno enough about ATI to recommend one of those.

Not sure about you budget, but the cheapest that I would say is worth having
is a Radeon 9200SE 128MB, I got one for £40/?58/$75, they are good reliable
cards, and you get what you pay for.

"Will Bradshaw" wrote:

> Jeremy Reaban wrote:
>> Probably the cheapest would be a GeForce 5200, though they apparently
>> are a bit glitchy. I dunno enough about ATI to recommend one of
>> those.
>
> Not sure about you budget, but the cheapest that I would say is worth
> having is a Radeon 9200SE 128MB, I got one for £40/?58/$75, they are
> good reliable cards, and you get what you pay for.

While a Radeon 9200 might be an improvement, I would go for a 9600
because it better implements directX 9.0C. But let's not forget
that the Sims 2 is a cpu and memory abusing game. If your cpu is
above 1.5GHz putting in more RAM will improve game playing more, even
for graphics, onboard graphic chips rely for their memory on system RAM.

Gert

G.J. wrote:
> While a Radeon 9200 might be an improvement, I would go for a 9600
> because it better implements directX 9.0C. But let's not forget
> that the Sims 2 is a cpu and memory abusing game. If your cpu is
> above 1.5GHz putting in more RAM will improve game playing more, even
> for graphics, onboard graphic chips rely for their memory on system
> RAM.

9600 would obviously be much better than 9200, but also much more expensive
at $170/£90 and not realy 'the cheapest one I can get' It depends on the
budget. I wouldn't mind an X800 but I dont have £350/$660 to spend. Whats
your budget Corvy?

You also need to be careful about the slots for the graphics card. I bought
a 9200 (nice and cheap and pretty good actually) mainly because it was the
latest card I could get that would fit into my machine which is more than 2
years old (or maybe it's 3 years old now). I took a copy of my stats when I
went to the shop to buy the new card. I was pretty pleased actually because
I was going to spend a lot of money on some souped up fancy graphics card,
which I couldn't really afford at the time, but because of the limitations
of my older system, I actually spent less than £35 for a much improved
performance. Anyway, you do need to be careful that the hardware will fit
since there's been a change in the geography of the slots.

Best wishes
Maxon

Maxon wrote:
> You also need to be careful about the slots for the graphics card. I
> bought a 9200 (nice and cheap and pretty good actually) mainly
> because it was the latest card I could get that would fit into my
> machine which is more than 2 years old (or maybe it's 3 years old
> now). I took a copy of my stats when I went to the shop to buy the
> new card. I was pretty pleased actually because I was going to spend
> a lot of money on some souped up fancy graphics card, which I
> couldn't really afford at the time, but because of the limitations of
> my older system, I actually spent less than £35 for a much improved
> performance. Anyway, you do need to be careful that the hardware
> will fit since there's been a change in the geography of the slots.

Unless you have a PC that is more that a few years old, or a very new, very
good one, you will have an AGP slot, really old ones don't and so need a PCI
Graphics card, which is what your Radeon 9200 is, and really new ones have
PCI Express. I don't know about Nvidia but ATI Radeons have an 'X' before
the number if you can get it as PCI express, eg X300, X700, X800 etc. Any
thing before and including 9200 can come as PCI but anything above that
without an 'X' deffinately comes as AGP.

Will Bradshaw wrote:
> Maxon wrote:
>> You also need to be careful about the slots for the graphics card. I
>> bought a 9200 (nice and cheap and pretty good actually) mainly
>> because it was the latest card I could get that would fit into my
>> machine which is more than 2 years old (or maybe it's 3 years old
>> now). I took a copy of my stats when I went to the shop to buy the
>> new card. I was pretty pleased actually because I was going to spend
>> a lot of money on some souped up fancy graphics card, which I
>> couldn't really afford at the time, but because of the limitations of
>> my older system, I actually spent less than £35 for a much improved
>> performance. Anyway, you do need to be careful that the hardware
>> will fit since there's been a change in the geography of the slots.
>
> Unless you have a PC that is more that a few years old, or a very
> new, very good one, you will have an AGP slot, really old ones don't
> and so need a PCI Graphics card, which is what your Radeon 9200 is,
> and really new ones have PCI Express. I don't know about Nvidia but
> ATI Radeons have an 'X' before the number if you can get it as PCI
> express, eg X300, X700, X800 etc. Any thing before and including
> 9200 can come as PCI but anything above that without an 'X'
> deffinately comes as AGP.

I just ordered an NVIDIA 6600 PCI Express for my new computer that had come
with integrated video. Sims 2 would work for about 10-15 minutes then I'd
get a display driver error. I'm hoping this solves the problem, I'll let
you know...
---
Michelle
(SeaShel)