Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Sound only works in one account at a time

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows XP
April 21, 2004 6:50:24 PM

I am having a problem getting my sound to work in more than one user account
at a time. In order to get the sound to work in another account, I have to
uninstall the driver, then re-install while logged into the account that I
want the sound to work in. This is particularly annoying to do for the
limited account, since I need to give the account administrator rights in
order to re-install the driver.

I could use help getting the sound to work in both of my user accounts

Background info:
-I'm running Win XP Pro version 5.1 service pack 1
-I have two user accounts, one with administrator rights, the other is a
limited account (so my kids aren't able to make system changes, or install
software w/o permission).
-I am using on board audio which is Realtec AC'97 (ASUS board w/ nforce2
chipset)
-I am using the latest drivers from ASUS

Please also respond via email bkunzler@hotmail.com

Thanks

More about : sound works account time

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 10:12:52 PM

This definitely is not normal for XP. Check for an updated sound driver from
ASUS - this appears to be a driver related issue.

--
Please reply in newsgroup.

"bkunzler" <bkunzler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am having a problem getting my sound to work in more than one user
account
> at a time. In order to get the sound to work in another account, I have
> uninstall the driver, then re-install while logged into the account that I
> want the sound to work in. This is particularly annoying to do for the
> limited account, since I need to give the account administrator rights in
> order to re-install the driver.
>
> I could use help getting the sound to work in both of my user accounts
>
> Background info:
> -I'm running Win XP Pro version 5.1 service pack 1
> -I have two user accounts, one with administrator rights, the other is a
> limited account (so my kids aren't able to make system changes, or install
> software w/o permission).
> -I am using on board audio which is Realtec AC'97 (ASUS board w/ nforce2
> chipset)
> -I am using the latest drivers from ASUS
>
> Please also respond via email bkunzler@hotmail.com
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
April 25, 2004 4:01:34 AM

I am using the latest driver from ASUS, also had the same problem using a
prior version driver.

Just before another attempt to uninstall/reinstall I gave the limited
account administrator rights and the sound started working before I got
around to un/re-installing the sound driver.

When that happend I tried making the limited account a power user, instead
of regular user, or administrator, and the sound stopped working again
(giving the no audio device message)

So the sound only seems to work for accounts with administrator rights.
Does anyone know of a specific privelage that administrators have that power
users don't that I could grant to the limited account to get the sound
working without enabling full administrator rights?

"Delwin Lee [MSFT]" <delwinl@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This definitely is not normal for XP. Check for an updated sound driver
from
> ASUS - this appears to be a driver related issue.
>
> --
> Please reply in newsgroup.

rights.

> "bkunzler" <bkunzler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am having a problem getting my sound to work in more than one user
> account
> > at a time. In order to get the sound to work in another account, I have
> > uninstall the driver, then re-install while logged into the account that
> > want the sound to work in. This is particularly annoying to do for the
> > limited account, since I need to give the account administrator rights
in
> > order to re-install the driver.
> >
> > I could use help getting the sound to work in both of my user accounts
> >
> > Background info:
> > -I'm running Win XP Pro version 5.1 service pack 1
> > -I have two user accounts, one with administrator rights, the other is a
> > limited account (so my kids aren't able to make system changes, or
install
> > software w/o permission).
> > -I am using on board audio which is Realtec AC'97 (ASUS board w/ nforce2
> > chipset)
> > -I am using the latest drivers from ASUS
> >
> > Please also respond via email bkunzler@hotmail.com
> >
> > Thanks

April 25, 2004 4:11:57 AM

I'm cross posting a thread involving an audio problem that I have been
having, expanding the number experts that might be able to help. The more I
have been working on the problem, the more it seems like an administration
issue.

I am using the latest driver from ASUS, also had the same problem using a
prior version driver.

Just before another attempt to uninstall/reinstall I gave the limited
account administrator rights and the sound started working before I got
around to un/re-installing the sound driver.

When that happend I tried making the limited account a power user, instead
of regular user, or administrator, and the sound stopped working again
(giving the no audio device message)

So the sound only seems to work for accounts with administrator rights.
Does anyone know of a specific privelage that administrators have that power
users don't that I could grant to the limited account to get the sound
working without enabling full administrator rights?

> >"Delwin Lee [MSFT]" <delwinl@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This definitely is not normal for XP. Check for an updated sound driver
> > from
> > ASUS - this appears to be a driver related issue.
> >
> > --
> > Please reply in newsgroup.

> rights.
> >

> > "bkunzler" <bkunzler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I am having a problem getting my sound to work in more than one user
> > account
> > > at a time. In order to get the sound to work in another account, I
have
> > > uninstall the driver, then re-install while logged into the account
that
> > > want the sound to work in. This is particularly annoying to do for
the
> > > limited account, since I need to give the account administrator rights
> in
> > > order to re-install the driver.
> > >
> > > I could use help getting the sound to work in both of my user accounts
> > >
> > > Background info:
> > > -I'm running Win XP Pro version 5.1 service pack 1
> > > -I have two user accounts, one with administrator rights, the other is
> > > limited account (so my kids aren't able to make system changes, or
> install
> > > software w/o permission).
> > > -I am using on board audio which is Realtec AC'97 (ASUS board w/
nforce2
> > > chipset)
> > > -I am using the latest drivers from ASUS
> > >
> > > Please also respond via email bkunzlerNOspam@hotmail.com since I don't
often get around to the news group to check for responces

> > > Thanks

Anonymous
April 26, 2004 10:13:40 PM

I'm not sure there's such a priviledge - it just sounds like the driver is
messed up.

--

> I am using the latest driver from ASUS, also had the same problem using a
> prior version driver.
>
> Just before another attempt to uninstall/reinstall I gave the limited
> account administrator rights and the sound started working before I got
> around to un/re-installing the sound driver.
>
> When that happend I tried making the limited account a power user, instead
> of regular user, or administrator, and the sound stopped working again
> (giving the no audio device message)
>
> So the sound only seems to work for accounts with administrator rights.
> Does anyone know of a specific privelage that administrators have that
power
> users don't that I could grant to the limited account to get the sound
> working without enabling full administrator rights?
>
> "Delwin Lee [MSFT]" <delwinl@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This definitely is not normal for XP. Check for an updated sound driver
> from
> > ASUS - this appears to be a driver related issue.
> >
> > --
> > Please reply in newsgroup.

> rights.
> >

> > "bkunzler" <bkunzler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I am having a problem getting my sound to work in more than one user
> > account
> > > at a time. In order to get the sound to work in another account, I
have
> > > uninstall the driver, then re-install while logged into the account
that
> > > want the sound to work in. This is particularly annoying to do for
the
> > > limited account, since I need to give the account administrator rights
> in
> > > order to re-install the driver.
> > >
> > > I could use help getting the sound to work in both of my user accounts
> > >
> > > Background info:
> > > -I'm running Win XP Pro version 5.1 service pack 1
> > > -I have two user accounts, one with administrator rights, the other is
> > > limited account (so my kids aren't able to make system changes, or
> install
> > > software w/o permission).
> > > -I am using on board audio which is Realtec AC'97 (ASUS board w/
nforce2
> > > chipset)
> > > -I am using the latest drivers from ASUS
> > >
> > > Please also respond via email bkunzler@hotmail.com
> > >
> > > Thanks

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 5:26:56 PM

If the driver was messed up, wouldn't that prevent the sound from working on
any type of account. The sound does work for administrator accounts, but
not any limited accounts (user, or power user). I have tried granting
install/uninstall device driver privelage to users, but that still didn't
get the limited accounts to recognize that there is an audio device.

It (sound card/driver) shows up in device manager, and in the 'hardware' tab
of the sound and audio properties box. Under the 'volume' tab says "No
audio device", the other tabs list only the "modem line #1 play back" (also
lists Realtec AC'97 in an administrator account). Under the Hardware tab,
when I select the Realtec AC'97, and click on properties, it claims that the
device is working properly, and is enabled.

I have tried 2 or 3 versions of the driver from ASUS and get the same
results. Could this be a rare bug in windows, that only crops up with
specific hardware configurations?