Nvida Card(s) Freezing

lith77

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I have a NVIDA Geforce 9800 GX2. While playing pretty much pretty much any 3D game I experience consistent freezing and crashing. Usually the video will freeze for about 3 seconds, the screen will go black and the game will return. Other times it will freeze indefinitely and will not resume unless I press ctrl + alt + del and bring up the screen that allows you to start task manager etc. When returning to the desktop I receive the error "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I have tried RMAing the card. I also have tried using a 200 series card but the same problem was prevalent. I have tried just about every Geforce driver release available since the card was released. I have reformatted windows/reinstalled vista 64bit, disconnected any unneeded drives, monitored the temp of the card (not overheating), ran memory tests, etc. My processor is not overclocked or overheating. I have set all bios settings to defaults and underclocked my ram as well but the problem still remained. Any further suggestions would be very greatly appreciated!!

lith77

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Thanks for the info.I tried a few of the suggestions included in the thread including changing the theme to classic but it is still freezing. Here are my specs...

Video Card: Nvidia 9800GX2
Processor: Intel Q6600 at 2.4ghz
Ram: 4gb Kingston Hyperx DDR2 1066
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula
Power Supply: Real Power Pro 1000
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Corrected Post - Evongugg did hit me up. Im not as up to date on power supply specifications as there at one time was separate rails but they are solidly all combined now.

Regardless i believe that your problem is still power related. Quick way to test this would be to put your card into someone elses system and see how it fairs. if it runs perfectly you can probably rule out the video card. If its happening with several cards it could be just a bad supply.