Sign in with
Your question

Proper procedure to remove and replace CPU P4

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 12, 2009 10:10:43 AM

I have a few P4s 533 478s that I desire to upgrade while I still can. I think the ones I now have are married to the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ fans by now. All were installed with Artic Silver 5 back in 2002 to 2004. They range from 1.8 to 2.66s. Motherboards are Gigabyte GA8-IEPX, GA8- 667 Ultra and GA8-800 Ultra.
I did remove and replace one a few years ago. That 1.8 gig CPU will never be sold. The fan pulled the CPU right out of the socket before I could release it. Needless to say, a few pins went sideways.

Based on that bad experience, I thought I should seek advise how best to remove the fan first and then release the P4 CPU properly. I thought about a nonconducting nail file, but I really would appreciate guidance from some of you guys who have been successful pulling CPUs without bending pins.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2009 10:26:00 AM

Let the system run a while to create heat on the heatsink and CPU. The heat will 'weaken' or loosen the AS5 quite a bit. Shut down and while hot gently twist the heat sink from side to side to loosen then break the the bond between the heatsink and top of CPU. Do not immediately pull straight up and 'pull' the HSF off, just gently twist the HSF from side to side and break the bond gently and remove carefully. Easy. It is possible to the straighten bent pins in some instances. Try a mechanical pencil end without lead inserted.
April 13, 2009 2:16:00 AM

Thanks for the speedy and encouraging reply. I've got just the thing ... a version of SereneScreen Aquarium screensaver. It racks up my system to the low 40s C when it normally runs low to mid 30s C. I've got a fan speed regulator that may help to as I can then drop the fan speed into the 3k range from the 6k range. That sounds like what you are suggesting.

Thanks again. :hello: 
Jeff
Related resources
April 13, 2009 2:21:21 PM

Jeff68005 said:
Thanks for the speedy and encouraging reply. I've got just the thing ... a version of SereneScreen Aquarium screensaver. It racks up my system to the low 40s C when it normally runs low to mid 30s C. I've got a fan speed regulator that may help to as I can then drop the fan speed into the 3k range from the 6k range. That sounds like what you are suggesting.

Thanks again. :hello: 
Jeff

Good idea. You don't run much risk of bending pins on the 478 socket - I've removed and replaced plenty of them without problem. The pins would be hard to bend unless you actually touched them. You want temps as high as possible (within reason) so that the AS5 somewhat melts so the heatsink fan isn't "stuck" on to the CPU. Without heating, it can be a bugger to get out, and I've heard of people ripping the CPU right out of the motherboard by pulling to hard on the HS/F :ouch: 
April 13, 2009 2:44:41 PM

Heheh, yea when cool, AS5 is a great adhesive. Ill never forget the first time I ripped the CPU from the socket, I almost died of shock.
April 13, 2009 3:10:20 PM

B-Unit said:
Heheh, yea when cool, AS5 is a great adhesive. Ill never forget the first time I ripped the CPU from the socket, I almost died of shock.

Whoah! Did it break anything?
April 14, 2009 12:16:21 AM

Xenonvector927 said:
....and I've heard of people ripping the CPU right out of the motherboard by pulling to hard on the HS/F :ouch: 

That's what happened to me a few years ago. :cry:  I never tried again.
I think with the tips this time, I will do better. Depending on my successes, I may just pull the Volcano7s off all of them, clean and reapply some fresh AS5.

I have a P4 3.06 HT (533 478) that I want to plop in there now. That should warm some water. <WEG> Does anybody know the normal temps for that puppy in a textbook setup? Will the Volcano 7+ handle it ... or should I look for some other HS/fan combo?
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 12:38:34 AM

If it's a Preshott, forget about cooling it down. It will verifiably refuse to cool. On the other hand, the Northwoods ran much cooler. I liked the P4 Northwood. Gave my last 2.8GHz. away more than a year ago. Worked on a 3GHz. preshott I built for a kid a while back. Nothing good to say about it other than it did an admirabale job producing as much heat as it possibly could.
April 14, 2009 12:43:49 AM

badge said:
If it's a Preshott, forget about cooling it down. It will verifiably refuse to cool. On the other hand, the Northwoods ran much cooler. I liked the P4 Northwood. Gave my last 2.8GHz. away more than a year ago. Worked on a 3GHz. preshott I built for a kid a while back. Nothing good to say about it other than it did an admirabale job producing as much heat as it possibly could.

AFAIK, it is a Northwood.
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 12:51:31 AM

I still have one P4 Northwood. A 2.5Ghz., 533 MHz. That processor runs hot, but not like the Prescott 3Ghz. I owned. I broke the MB HS retention bracket a few months back while doing exactly what you are doing, replacing the ancient thermal paste. Snapped one clip holder right off. Had an old 478 MB retention bracket, but the mounting holes were offset, so I drilled out new mounting holes and it's on there. New AS5 did not do a thing for it. So, replacing the old AS5 and reusing a stock 478 HSF will not do much in the way of 'better cooling' results. If you managed to get an aftermarket HSF with say a 92mm fan or something like that, it may cool it down some. I have only the stock aluminum HSF. The whole thing is in the closet, but it works just great.
April 14, 2009 4:13:42 AM

badge said:
I still have one P4 Northwood. A 2.5Ghz., 533 MHz. That processor runs hot, but not like the Prescott 3Ghz. I owned. I broke the MB HS retention bracket a few months back while doing exactly what you are doing, replacing the ancient thermal paste. Snapped one clip holder right off. Had an old 478 MB retention bracket, but the mounting holes were offset, so I drilled out new mounting holes and it's on there. New AS5 did not do a thing for it. So, replacing the old AS5 and reusing a stock 478 HSF will not do much in the way of 'better cooling' results. If you managed to get an aftermarket HSF with say a 92mm fan or something like that, it may cool it down some. I have only the stock aluminum HSF. The whole thing is in the closet, but it works just great.

Man. You are one DIYer. I would have cried and chucked it in a corner if the retention bracket came off. Never would have touched a mobo again. I get straight A's in all subjects, but I fail Design and Technology because I am garbage with DIY. I must say I admire your courage. :heink: 
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 5:36:17 AM

Ha. The retention bracket was gold. I cried until I was 15.
April 14, 2009 5:41:28 AM

badge said:
Ha. The retention bracket was gold. I cried until I was 15.

:lol:  You must have had a very fun adolescence if you were crying 24/7.
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 6:01:53 AM

Quote:
I get straight A's in all subjects

I can see your Jr. high school transcript on your resume now. :heink: 

Quote:
You must have had a very fun adolescence if you were crying 24/7.

That straight A mind working it's miracle. Yeah, I pretty much cried all during kindergarden through sixth grade. Then only at night in 7th and 8th. In 9th grade I became a man and hung around the 10th graders with Dad's computer. :ouch: 

April 14, 2009 6:08:03 AM

badge said:
Quote:
I get straight A's in all subjects

I can see your Jr. high school transcript on your resume now. :heink: 

Quote:
You must have had a very fun adolescence if you were crying 24/7.

That straight A mind working it's miracle. Yeah, I pretty much cried all during kindergarden through sixth grade. Then only at night in 7th and 8th. In 9th grade I became a man and hung around the 10th graders with Dad's computer. :ouch: 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I think we've hijacked this thread enough for one day!
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 6:10:07 AM

I would give anything to be 14. Again.
April 14, 2009 6:17:10 AM

badge said:
I would give anything to be 14. Again.

I think that this is the first time in my life that someone has been jealous of something related to my life. Doesn't feel as good as I thought it would...
April 14, 2009 6:19:33 AM

Man, I wish I had your job, too. BTW, your homepage had me rolling on the floor laughing! :lol:  Sent the link to my friend!
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 6:28:08 AM

Xenonvector927 said:
I think that this is the first time in my life that someone has been jealous of something related to my life. Doesn't feel as good as I thought it would...

It's not jealousy, but I understand. :lol:  That's cool. Someday you will be happy to simply meet someone older than you on any given day. I'm 54, but look every day of 72. In Jr. high school I remember a guy from my neighborhood whipped the school bully's sorry azz. That's the kind of thing that inspires me to be successful in life as a DIYer. :sol: 
April 14, 2009 6:31:31 AM

badge said:
It's not jealousy, but I understand. :lol:  That's cool. Someday you will be happy to simply meet someone older than you on any given day. I'm 54, but look every day of 72. In Jr. high school I remember a guy from my neighborhood whipped the school bully's sorry azz. That's the kind of thing that inspires me to be successful in life as a DIYer. :sol: 

Lol. The bully becomes the bullied. Wish I could kick bullie's asses. Believe it or not, private schools still have them (GASP!!). :) 
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 6:31:49 AM

Xenonvector927 said:
Man, I wish I had your job, too. BTW, your homepage had me rolling on the floor laughing! :lol:  Sent the link to my friend!

My job is :sleep:  ing. My wife has the job.
April 14, 2009 6:37:59 AM

badge said:
My job is :sleep:  ing. My wife has the job.

Oh, I though you were a grafitti remover or something or other (know that you were kidding). Wouldn't it be cool to have a job of sleeping? Wow, gender roles and stereotypes are reversed in your house - good on the missus!
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 6:55:08 AM

Xenonvector927 said:
Lol. The bully becomes the bullied. Wish I could kick bullie's asses. Believe it or not, private schools still have them (GASP!!). :) 

A grade school school bully used to chase my friend home from school a lot days. He was a black guy about 300lbs, 6ft. 4in. in the 6th grade. Not my friend, the bully. I threw a snowball and hit him in the head and almost knocked him to the ground. He literally cried. Not my friend, the bully. He never chased me home. He thought my friend did it. This is all before the calculator was invented. Electric typewriters were almost a reality. I was in to high tech even then. Etch-a-sketch. :pt1cable:  Marbles. ;)  'Color' TV.

Let me ask an experienced, intelligent guy like you. My 16 year old son is addicted to World of Crackcraft. Is there anything I can do to help him before he moves on to harder drugs games.
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 7:02:11 AM

Xenonvector927 said:
Oh, I though you were a grafitti remover or something or other (know that you were kidding). Wouldn't it be cool to have a job of sleeping? Wow, gender roles and stereotypes are reversed in your house - good on the missus!

I remove a lot of graffiti. Removed some today in fact. My wife is the doctor. Our roles aren't really reversed, she is just much smarter than me.

April 14, 2009 7:03:49 AM

badge said:
A grade school school bully used to chase my friend home from school a lot days. He was a black guy about 300lbs, 6ft. 4in. in the 6th grade. Not my friend, the bully. I threw a snowball and hit him in the head and almost knocked him to the ground. He literally cried. Not my friend, the bully. He never chased me home. He thought my friend did it. This is all before the calculator was invented. Electric typewriters were almost a reality. I was in to high tech even then. Etch-a-sketch. :pt1cable:  Marbles. ;)  'Color' TV.

Let me ask an experienced, intelligent guy like you. My 16 year old son is addicted to World of Crackcraft. Is there anything I can do to help him before he moves on to harder drugs games.

Ohhh... I'm intelligent? I'm flattered. I'm sorry, there's nothing you can do about your son. He's doomed to a life of social insecurity and inadequateness. He'll have problems with girls, with money, and with pretty much everything but computers, if he's anything like me. Give him a pat on the back.WoW is a waste of time in my opinion, if he's playing that, there's no telling what he might get into, which brings your comment about the drugs to mind... :o 
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 7:16:02 AM

Quote:
He's doomed to a life of social insecurity and inadequateness.

He going with some fox that's like cheerleader or something. But, yeah the little **** better get off my azz.

Quote:
He'll have problems with girls, with money, and with pretty much everything but computers,

He has girls and will likely inherit millions. Unless we remove him from the will. Again.

Quote:
Give him a pat on the back.

Often. I love the guy. I will do anything for him no matter how many girls he gets to take care of him.

Quote:
WoW is a waste of time in my opinion, if he's playing that, there's no telling what he might get into, which brings your comment about the drugs to mind

Yeah, it makes him lazy and He looks bad spending all that time playing a game. I wonder about some of his online gaming friends. Especially the one they call 'baby manson'. :sol:  No really, thanks and you are right. I have to watch this stuff going on with him. Until He's 18. I'm putting him out. I'm running an extension cord out to the back yard and he's moving into a tent. Like his online friends. :??: 
April 14, 2009 7:27:09 AM

badge said:
Quote:
He's doomed to a life of social insecurity and inadequateness.

He going with some fox that's like cheerleader or something. But, yeah the little **** better get off my azz.

Quote:
He'll have problems with girls, with money, and with pretty much everything but computers,

He has girls and will likely inherit millions. Unless we remove him from the will. Again.

Quote:
Give him a pat on the back.

Often. I love the guy. I will do anything for him no matter how many girls he gets to take care of him.

Quote:
WoW is a waste of time in my opinion, if he's playing that, there's no telling what he might get into, which brings your comment about the drugs to mind

Yeah, it makes him lazy and He looks bad spending all that time playing a game. I wonder about some of his online gaming friends. Especially the one they call 'baby manson'. :sol:  No really, thanks and you are right. I have to watch this stuff going on with him. Until He's 18. I'm putting him out. I'm running an extension cord out to the back yard and he's moving into a tent. Like his online friends. :??: 

I should be the last person you should be taking advice from. Your last comment made me chuckle :lol:  . Ugh, chuckle is such an old man's word. And the thing about the pat on the back - touching. I don't really wanna have kids, but it's nice to hear you say those caring things. Ugh, sounding like a woman who reads romance novels now... Who cares if he's going out with golddiggers? All you can do is try, at least he has someone.
April 14, 2009 7:28:48 AM

This thread has gone so badly astray and awry, I don't know what to say to people reading these posts. Please forgive us misguided souls. I hope you learned something about.... what was it? Removing a CPU or something or other. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2009 7:46:07 AM

Xenonvector927 said:
This thread has gone so badly astray and awry, I don't know what to say to people reading these posts. Please forgive us misguided souls. I hope you learned something about.... what was it? Removing a CPU or something or other. :lol: 

Socket 478. When AMD 64 ruled ;) . The stock 478 heatsink design is clumsy and easy to break. OP can attest to that. Yeah, apologies to OP for getting way off track. I can think back to when the conversation of the day on the Forum was about P4 Northwood/Prescott vs. AMD 64. Before that. Socket A. Some guys have been on here near the time or before you were born xenonvector927. :lol: 
April 14, 2009 7:53:47 AM

badge said:
Socket 478. When AMD 64 ruled ;) . The stock 478 heatsink design is clumsy and easy to break. OP can attest to that. Yeah, apologies to OP for getting way off track. I can think back to when the conversation of the day on the Forum was about P4 Northwood/Prescott vs. AMD 64. Before that. Socket A. Some guys have been on here near the time or before you were born xenonvector927. :lol: 

Tell me about it! When taking the CPU of an old 478 out of a fried motherboard, I had to get a hacksaw to get off some plastic things that were stopping me move it! It's a nightmare getting those things off. I can actually see the HSF from here - it's in pieces! I had a glance at it yesterday, I remember I remarked to a family member about how small the fan is compared to stock Intel fans today.
Yup, I know, I know, young and careless, wrecking the environment, spending way too much money and sending mobile phone bills sky high, inconsiderate to others... that's what old people see us as, anyway. We get a hard knock, us nerds. We're chucked in with the rest of them.
!