Sign in with
Your question

WTFH IS UP WITH MY CPU TEMPS???

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 12, 2009 10:14:47 AM

when i'm just browsing the web and simple stuff like that, my CPU is at 50-60C. i have no clue what's wrong, any ideas?

More about : wtfh cpu temps

April 12, 2009 10:41:03 AM

How long is a peice of string?

Could be a number of things:

1) Your case is so small airflow is suffering as a result
2) You've a stock cooler in a small case, airflow suffering as a result
3) Your cooler is naff
4) Depends on your make of CPU - some run warmer than others. i7's for instance run at 40C at stock with good airflow. If your case is small then that number would of course be higher.

So the baseline is:

More info please. What CPU is it, what do you have cooling the thing, what is your case and do you have any fans in that case moving air around?
April 12, 2009 12:27:44 PM

jimmy_sexton said:
when i'm just browsing the web and simple stuff like that, my CPU is at 50-60C. i have no clue what's wrong, any ideas?

Well, I'd first check to make sure that your HSF is firmly stuck down. Did you apply thermal paste properly? You don't need much. If nothing seems to fix it, then get an aftermarket cooler and see if that sovles your problems.
Related resources
April 12, 2009 6:27:46 PM

it's a q6600 with the stock cooler inside an antec 900 case
April 12, 2009 8:12:07 PM

If its not overclocked and the 50-60 degrees are the Tjunc temps then you're on the high side of normal (assuming your room isn't like an oven).

If they're Case temps then get a better aftermarket cooler.

Check your Vcore voltage and make sure it isn't too high.
April 12, 2009 8:14:57 PM

what should the vcore voltage be set to if its at the stock speed?
April 12, 2009 8:19:54 PM

Depends. A good guide is to check the CPU VID and set Vcore to that. Usually in the range of 1.2 - 1.28 volts, but can vary.
Use CPU-Z to check the VID (your BIOS may also have the info).
!