taylorjes

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
So I'm looking to finally pull the trigger on a new build.... I'm a college student and recently my computers have been less than mentionable... I am looking at the following build and need advice...

Intel Q6600
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Antec EarthWatts 650w

I don't know much about graphic cards and that probably saying too much... I would like to get a good direction for chosing a decent card within the next few weeks... I am an avid console guy (only b/c I've never had a PC worth playing on) and I probably won't have any major uses for a good card up front, however... my wife is aspiring to be a photographer and as of right now she does most of her work on campus in there labs (which probably only beat me out by a bit) I would like for her to be able to do her work on this rig... and I'll probably want to do some gaming when I realize how 20th century my current computer is... well, there you have it... a newbie to guide in the ways of the force... now FIGHT!!!

taylorjes

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I've heard great things about SAPPHIRE and the reading I've been doing (right now) is leaning me toward Radeon mostly because the bang-for-the-buck is greater... I guess my follow-up question is does my overall setup make sense?? I'll admit that I have little to no experience with building computers I'm more of a software guy and I would like to learn alot... I'm going with intel only because I've read mixed things about amd... thanks for your prompt response

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Q9300 is $170 @ microcenter.

What resolution do you use?