Your question

Nvidia Display Problem, need some help

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2009 5:59:59 AM

So I have a HP Pavillion with a 8600 series gfx card. I updated the driver using nvidia site rather then HP's site just not think and pretty much screwed over my system displaying correctly. There was no system restore point (i guess that hadn't been working for the past few months). So I need to revert back to previous drivers or find a way to get it to default to a basic display driver. I have tried booting into safe mode and safe mode with command prompts etc. nothing works.

Symptoms:
-everything during boot shows up until after the windows loading screen (the one where it just displays a logo)
-after that just a black screen, i hear everything starting up as far as windows sounds
-I can just see the mouse and thats it, it will move around so its not freezing.

thanks for the help in advance. I have a way to the file system through OSX86 being loaded on the other drive but that it. So if there is certain files I can delete to make it default then thats fine as long as I can boot to windows and install the correct drivers.

More about : nvidia display problem

February 10, 2009 8:02:54 AM

one of the easiest ways to do this if you have an older computer lying around with a pci video card or someone who would loan you one for a few minutes. install this in your system and remove the nvidia graphics card and boot into windows. Then go into add remove in windows and remove the nvidia drivers and anything else related to the video card. Replace your video card and remove the pci card and try again. See what happens. If this isnt possible please tell me what version of windows your using.
Related resources
February 10, 2009 3:31:10 PM

festerovic said:
Check this out:

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_3.html

Yeah Im not familiar with nvidia's naming scheme for their drivers so i couldnt pull that one out plus im not that into random deletions considering if you have an nvidia chipset and the like it could accidentally remove chipset drivers as well.
February 10, 2009 4:52:44 PM

So I am running vista 64-bit and its also a laptop not a desktop so I cna't just switch my card out for a different one. I'm trying to delete files as we speak.
February 10, 2009 6:26:45 PM

So the drive is read only under osx, not sure why. So I can't delete all the NV files. Would this be possible under DOS to delete these files, cause I have a list of all the files needed to be deleted.
February 12, 2009 3:13:31 PM

This should do it.
Get a copy of driver sweeper. Its a small prog. and may fit on a floppy disk.
When booting press F8 and select VGA.
This will run your video in vga mode with no Nvidia drivers.
Run driver sweeper and select video drivers only and delete them.
Its possible you may have to do this more than once.
You will know you are successful when you can boot windows the normal way and it is running in vga mode.
Then install the new drivers and you should be good to go.
It would seem that the new drivers didnt erase the old ones correctly.
This is not unheard of with Nvidia drivers.
Also getting the drivers directly from Nvidia instead of HP will work the exact same way.
February 12, 2009 3:28:57 PM

pat mcgroin said:
This should do it.
You will know you are successful when you can boot windows the normal way and it is running in vga mode.
Also getting the drivers directly from Nvidia instead of HP will work the exact same way.

Just tried to boot in VGA and it still boots woth just a Blackscreen with the mouse pointer, is there any type of boot disc that I can run to get the drivers off.
February 12, 2009 3:36:06 PM

pat mcgroin said:
This should do it.

Just tried to boot in VGA and it still boots woth just a Blackscreen with the mouse pointer, is there any type of boot disc that I can run to get the drivers off.
!