Sign in with
Your question

Processor upgrade, no increase in speed

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
April 12, 2009 5:14:46 PM

I upgraded my fathers P4B-MX from a 1.8GHz cpu to a 2.4GHz cpu. The processor is identified as a 2.4GHz processor bu CPUz, but the mobo is still only running it at 1.8GHz. The computer is a HP VL420, so FSB and memory timings are non adjustable. I figured the mobo would run the new cpu at it's default speed, and not keep it lock down to 1.8 nayone know why this would happen or a way around it?

lee

More about : processor upgrade increase speed

a c 203 à CPUs
April 12, 2009 5:19:51 PM

You could be seeing a "power saving mode" in action.
Did you try running a few programs that stress the CPU to see if it speeds up?
a c 203 à CPUs
April 12, 2009 5:22:49 PM
Related resources
April 12, 2009 5:24:56 PM

You don't say what make or model of CPU your using, but as mentioned above it could be an energy saving tool used on modern processors which means they lower the clock speed of the processor when not in use to reduce energy useage etc

I would run prime95 and see if CPU-Z says the full 2.4ghz is there.
April 12, 2009 5:49:50 PM

the cpu is a P4 2.4Ghz. I checked over everything and there doesn't appear to be a power saving feature enabled. I don't think it scales the processor either because when booting up the process is identified as 1.8GHz.

Also, i didn't knwo this board supported up to 3GHz. I would've purchased one of those instead, though i guess it would've been moot since it locks it at 1.8 anyway.
April 12, 2009 6:02:35 PM

have you tried reinstalling the OS?
a b à CPUs
April 12, 2009 6:21:33 PM

Did you make sure that you didn't need a BIOS update first? Did you check to see if the multiplier is set to auto? Try clearing the CMOS and see if that doesn't help. By setting everything to default the BIOS will try to detect what the CPU is before it boots. With everything on automatic is should come up as 2.4GHz.
April 12, 2009 6:36:19 PM

i've got the latest version of the BIOS, and since it's a HP there isn't anything to set within the BIOS. I cleared CMOS and booted up but still only 1.8.

I think i might have figured it out though. This board has a 100MHz FSB that gets quad multipled. The chip i purchased is 133MHz FSB, so it operates at about 80%.

133 x 18 = 2.4
100 x 18 = 1.8

booooo, should've done my homework a little better. Good thing is that these chips are dirt cheap, so i'm only out 10$. Thanks for the help guys.

lee
April 13, 2009 4:14:36 AM

pyrozen said:
i've got the latest version of the BIOS, and since it's a HP there isn't anything to set within the BIOS. I cleared CMOS and booted up but still only 1.8.

I think i might have figured it out though. This board has a 100MHz FSB that gets quad multipled. The chip i purchased is 133MHz FSB, so it operates at about 80%.

133 x 18 = 2.4
100 x 18 = 1.8

booooo, should've done my homework a little better. Good thing is that these chips are dirt cheap, so i'm only out 10$. Thanks for the help guys.

lee

$10? Cool... :) 
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2009 4:56:48 PM

pyrozen said:

133 x 18 = 2.4
100 x 18 = 1.8

lee

Check your board for a jumper to set the Buss speed. On most of the older boards, this was done with a jumper, and not available as an option in the BIOS. On your HP there might be one, although it may not be identified very well. Or, it may not. Upgrading prebuilds is always a crap shoot, as they do not build them with the intent of you upgrading anything. (except maybe adding memory, a GPU, minor things)
April 13, 2009 5:11:20 PM

jitpublisher said:
Check your board for a jumper to set the Buss speed. On most of the older boards, this was done with a jumper, and not available as an option in the BIOS. On your HP there might be one, although it may not be identified very well. Or, it may not. Upgrading prebuilds is always a crap shoot, as they do not build them with the intent of you upgrading anything. (except maybe adding memory, a GPU, minor things)

Just remembered that we use a couple decommisioned HP computers at our school computer club - with the same 1.8GHz procs. Looked around the BIOS for ages and couldn't find anything. You're probably outta luck :??:  . OEM computers aren't very flexible in that regard. You MAY be able to find an old mobo that... oh wait, just remebered that we tried doing that at computer club too - power supplies from HP won't work with a non HP mobo. HP!!! :fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
April 13, 2009 11:32:24 PM

jitpublisher said:

there is a bank of 10 dip switches that control the FSB, and supposedly take it all the way to 200FSB. only catch is that HP the HP mobo or bios completely ignore these dips switches, so it doesn't matter how i set them.

I'm just gonna watch ebay until a good chip comes by, until then my dad is happy with the new 22" widescreen LCD monitor i got him for his 50th b-day.
April 14, 2009 4:08:41 AM

pyrozen said:
there is a bank of 10 dip switches that control the FSB, and supposedly take it all the way to 200FSB. only catch is that HP the HP mobo or bios completely ignore these dips switches, so it doesn't matter how i set them.

I'm just gonna watch ebay until a good chip comes by, until then my dad is happy with the new 22" widescreen LCD monitor i got him for his 50th b-day.

Lol. Dad's are suckers for shiny stuff... :lol: 
!