Sign in with
Your question
Solved

12 hard drives, and I don't want to screw up.

Last response: in Storage
July 16, 2010 12:59:50 AM

Hello, I am getting (eventually)12 2TB HDD's (WD20EARS). I have the ASUS Rampage III mobo (7 SATA 3.0 and 2 SATA 6.0) and the XCLIO 1000 Case which is designed to hold 12 Hard Drives. I'm planning on getting a cheap PCI SATA expansion card, without raid capabilities. I don't want to rush into this though without proper information. Am I missing anything? I have the Antec 1200 PSU, so plenty of power.

I would really like to do a spanned volume (so 1 huge 24TB HD) but spin-up time would be long and that's really faulty. Is there a way to make all the hard drives look like 1 big volume (or even 1 big folder) but if a drive is lost only losing data on that one drive?

More about : hard drives screw

Best solution

July 16, 2010 2:41:30 AM

You might have to get a couple Sata Cards depending on how many come default on your mobo.

If you are gonna span them your gonna have to have raid capable sata cards.
since spanning/striping is raid 0.

If you are scared of data loss, you can use RAID 5. (stripes data and parity to generate redundancy. However, instead of requiring entirely new disk for parity storage, the parity is distributed through the stripe of the disk array.)
That way if a disk fails, you can put a new disk in and regenerate data.

You just won't have the max of 24tb, but around 17tb-22tb of storage.

Another thing is install Windows onto one of the discs, then mount the individual drives to Specific NTFS folders on it. Empty folders.

Or you can install Fedora Linux and all the disks will be software raided into one single root directory.
July 16, 2010 4:28:16 AM

The easiest way I can see is having 23 of them be mounted inside an OS after bootup from a single, possibly smaller faster drive. Ubuntu, (any GNU linux, debian, etc) will let you mount them and use them all at once with a folder shared across them, In Ubuntu they would act like folders that could be shared together with links, or in Windows I'm sure you could do the same.
m
l
July 23, 2010 12:02:03 AM

Best answer selected by quiky87.
m
l
Related resources
!