Jesterhead

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Hello, first of all here's my specs:
PSU: Corsair 750w
RAM: Corsair dominator 2x2gb
CPU: Dualcore e8500
GFX: Gainward Geforce gtx275 (I've tried with an XFX 9800gtx as well)
Mobo: Asus P5n-d (nforce 750i SLI)
Case: antec 900 (no damn speaker)

The problem:
After configuring the clock frequency for my new RAM in bios, my bios got stuck on "saving, do not turn off, etc", so i figured I'd leave it like that and go watch some TV, because I really didn't want to turn it off when my bios told me specifically to not touch. So I left it like that for 5 or so hours when I finally figured; "Ok this is not right, I'm gonna have to power off and try to reconfigure to another setting".

When I tried doing so, I found out to my surprise that the monitor didn't receive any signal (black screen), so I figured I'd destroyed my new GFX card somehow, so I tested with an older card - Still no signal. I tried using another monitor as well, with no luck. Then I tried removing 1 stick of RAM to see if I could at least get in to BIOS, with no luck (tried with different types of RAM, including my old ones). Then I tried doing a CMOS reset using the jumper pin with no luck, I even left out the battery for an entire night.

NONE OF THIS GAVE ANY RESULT - So I figured my CPU was fried. Proceeded to bring my case to a local hardware store where they could test every component on another system. Everything was fine, except for the motherboard apparently. This was a mystery to them as well, seeing as everything "works" meaning the lights go on, harddrives and fans spin, but there's no signal to the monitor.

What is wrong here? The board is still under warranty, but I don't wanna RMA it if there's a fix to this, because this regards my one and only computer. :( (posting from work)

Any help would be very much appreciated, unless you tell me to flash the bios, reseat the RAM or clear CMOS as these things have been done numerous times in every way humanly imaginable (except flashing the BIOS, as obviously that can't be done blindly).

Jesterhead

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I think the hardware store tried with one of those, although I'm not 100% sure.

I'm gonna try borrowing a speaker from ny neighbor, although I don't think my computer goes as far as to POST.

If this was a RAM related issue, then wouldn't I have video signal?

Thanks for the links, I'm definetely picking up one of those, seems convenient.

If all the system RAM is removed and the MB does not recognize with a series of BIOS error beeps, either the MB or CPU or both are bad. If the MB and/or the CPU are bad, no video would be displayed.

Jesterhead

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
The CPU was tested on another board and works fine. Although I fear it is like you say, the MB gone bad.

But WHY would upping the memory frequency to 1066mhz (which is stock) ruin my MB? It doesn't make sense...

Sounds like your MB kicked it (died). The MB failed, not necessarily because you were making RAM frequency adjustments in BIOS. It just failed for general purposes for lack of a better explanation. RMA the MB looks like the solution.