Sign in with
Your question

Seeking advice for new i7 Core Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2009 2:40:11 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forums and hope i'll find answers in your excellent forum.

Well i'm about to build my first Gaming Rig, i'm putting a budget of around $2600...ya call me insane :D  :D 

it's my 1st rig so it has to be daaaaamn good :wahoo: 

Anyways, I live in the Kingdom of Bahrain, it's in the persian gulf, if u don't know where is that have a look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain :D 

My 1st concern is the case...Locally i've been able to find the Thermaltake Armor Plus the full tower silver aluminum one (VH6000SWA) and also I've found at another shop the great Antec 1200 !!!!!

I'm concerned a little bit about the noise in the Antec 1200, i've heard it's a bit noisy with stock fans..is it that bad?? I'm gonna keep my rig on 24/7 so I don't wanna come back from work and find a Boeing engine on like what's happening in my current Acer Aspire E700 :fou:  :fou: 

As for the processor i'm gonna go for the Core i7 965 Extreme Quad Core Nehalem 3.2 GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8 MB L3 Cache Processor and either the Asus P6T Deluxe Mobo or the Asus Rampage II Extreme, although I might not overclock since I haven't tried it before, but who knows I might go for it and become and expert in overclocking :whistle: 

And btw, i'm not going for liquid cooling at the moment, let me try air cooled 1st then later on I could check that.

Sorry for making this soooooooooo long as this is my 1st serious custom built Rig and of course you know what that means.

Thanks in advance.
January 14, 2009 2:56:39 AM

If you have that large of a budget and are going with that processor it would be a sin to not have a water-cooled system.
January 14, 2009 3:18:03 AM

I'd ditch the 965 and pickup a 920 with a good air cooling setup (look at the TRUE...Check here: http://icrontic.com/articles/true120_black)

I would then overclock the 920 with that P6T Rampage board to 3.99Ghz which will beat the stock 965 without a problem.

Then take the $700 or so you save and invest in a Triple SLI board.

Now that is the way to go!!!

Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 14, 2009 3:20:30 AM

I know Bahrain well from an archaeology book about the ancient graveyards there, that I read as a kid.... Well, undoubtedly it's changed, I was a kid a very long time ago :p 

You really should not go with the 965. It's just not worth the price. The only i7 you'll see in builds here is the 920. The difference in performance is small and the cost difference large. Cost is 350% of the 920 for performance that is perhaps 5% better.

You'll see a good general guide in my signature (also stickied here in this forum) and you'll also see a parts list linked in my sig. It's newegg of course for the US, but the parts are still the ones you want.

You can just replace the stock fans in the Antec case.
January 14, 2009 3:21:19 AM

Overclocking on the Asus X58 boards is so easy. Go into Bios, change the AiTweaker settings to Manual. Change the BLCK to 190 to give you an overall frequency of 3.99 (w/ Turbo). Leave everything else on Auto. That's all.

Make sure to get some good 1600 DDR3 ram. Doubt you'll need any better.
January 14, 2009 3:32:34 AM

Go with 920 and get the TRUE (thermalright ultra extreme 120) or coolermaster v8 heatsinks, you should be able to oc very high, I have seen some in excess of 3.8ghz with both. you will need a well cooled case and since you don't want to liquid cool, you should consider the HAF 932, although antec 1200 and thermaltake armour are also decent cases.
January 14, 2009 5:03:34 AM

Wooooooooooooah !!! Thanks alot for the v.quick and fast replies, I expected that from such a great forum, unfortunately i'm at work now so I can't read all of ur replies, will be back in about 4 hours from now and will be reading ur replies carefully. So see ya in 4 hours time..thanks again peeps.

January 14, 2009 10:58:46 AM

Ok I'm back and i've just read all of your replies.

Now regarding the processor, I'm gonna go as you guys suggested with the Core i7 920 and the Asus Rampage II Extreme Mobo or the P6T Deluxe, a local store here has the P6T Deluxe OC Palm edition, is it worth it or just go for the Extreme??

As for water cooling I'm not sure about it yet..I wanna try air cooled first if all went well then no need for liquid cooling,maybe later on. If I need liquid cooling then i'll do it no doubt..

I'm gonna go and buy the case, mobo and processor today

so out of those three cases which one do u rate as number one,and which one has less noise?, of course if I need to change stock fans i'll do so..

Antec 1200
Coolermaster HAF 932
Thermaltake Armor+ VH6000SWA

Plz give me a recommendation ASAP :) 

========================

For RAM, Do you recommend these Corsairs??

January 14, 2009 11:12:58 AM

forouza1 said:
I'd ditch the 965 and pickup a 920 with a good air cooling setup (look at the TRUE...Check here: http://icrontic.com/articles/true120_black)

!

This heatsink seems like a Socket 775 from what i've read...does it support socket 1366??

January 14, 2009 11:55:23 AM

Guys I came up with an Initial Configuration..tell me what u think

Case: Antec 1200
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
Mobo:Asus Rampage II Extreme
Memory: Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC312800)
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 295 or 2xGTX 280 (SLI)
HDD: 2xWD Velociraptor 10,000 RPM 300GB
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366 RTU
PSU: Corsair HX1000W

Does it sound good???

January 14, 2009 1:54:14 PM

Looks good!!!

Now go buy the parts, build it, and post the pics for us to drool over.
January 14, 2009 1:55:21 PM

SpeedMax said:
This heatsink seems like a Socket 775 from what i've read...does it support socket 1366??

You can buy the original TRUE and I believe there is a mounting kit available that is compatible with the 1366.
January 14, 2009 3:54:39 PM

Unless you plan on going sli, you don't need that 1000w psu. I would just stick with one gtx 295 and get 750tx psu from corsair. One gtx 295 will probably be a better buy than 2 gtx 280's; you will save money, it will be quieter, and you won't have a 2-for-one deal computer/space heater
January 14, 2009 4:01:22 PM

SpeedMax said:
a local store here has the P6T Deluxe OC Palm edition, is it worth it or just go for the Extreme??

For RAM, Do you recommend these Corsairs??

Don't just buy what is offered at a local store, items are going to be marked up. If you find a good deal there then fine, but look around first, you will save a ton of money.

For ram I suggest these, very good timings for 1600mhz and not the most expensive kit around:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 14, 2009 4:40:29 PM

Yo Yo Yo...i'm back

Guess what..I bought the lovely Antec 1200...it's awesome. I also got the i7 920 CPU, as for the mobo i'm still confused whether i should get the EVGA X58 x3 SLI, Asus P6T Deluxe, or Rampage II Extreme

=================

Quote:
forouza1

Regarding the CPU Cooler..i have decided to get the Zalman 9700 LED with the 1366 Bracket from Zalman made specially for it, i've heard it's one hell of an awesome cpu cooler.

Quote:
xthekidx

I was actually gonna go for SLI with GTX 280's but since the GTX 295 is out now, i'll delay SLI for the moment but anyways I might SLI with 295's later on then..lol so I probably might need the 1000W for those hungry monsters.

I didn't get what you mean by items are going to be marked up?? do you mean prices will be high?

Regarding the G.Skill Sticks you suggested i'm gonna search for them and let you know.

===========================

Once again thanks alot for your comments and suggestions, very much appreciated :) 

January 14, 2009 5:50:01 PM

I mean if you buy from a store you have to pay for the cost of transportation for those items to get to the store. buying from an online retailer cuts out the middle-man and you will save money, so yes prices will be higher if you buy from a local store rather than online...usually. However, if you are interested in supporting your local computer hardware store, then by all means buy away.

Also, since the gtx 295 uses 2 gt200 processors, you will not get the same amount of performance benefit from 2 of them as you would getting 2 gpu's with only 1 graphics processor (such as gtx 280) due to scaling; something to think about.
January 14, 2009 6:15:21 PM

I just read an article from overclockers club and they found that 1 gtx 295 was roughly equal to 2 gtx 260-216's in sli, the gtx 295 got maybe 1-2% more fps (like 119 vs 118 @ 1920x1200 in COD world at war @ max settings)

So 2 gtx 280's in sli will probably give you more performance, but again consider cost and power consumption and HEAT in your room with these beasts. I personally would just go with 1 card.

In any case if you are considering sli with any of these cards then def go with 1000w psu. The gtx 295 has a max power draw of 289watts.
January 14, 2009 7:08:03 PM

So what resolutions are you going to be playing at? Do you have a monitor yet? I ask because a gtx 280 (or a gtx 260 216 for that matter) will probably max out any game to come out in the next year if you are playing at 1440x900, and anything more is just tossing your money away. if you have a monitor or plan to get one that runs at 1920x1200 or more though, then you will want a more powerful graphics configuration.
January 14, 2009 7:14:45 PM

Go with the Asus P6t deluxe, the OC palm is useless dont bother with it, your setup is same as what i got, 920@3.8 easy, Asus p6t Deluxe, Thermalright ultra 120 extreme, Corsair Dominator 1600mhz, its Bada$$.
all the i7 chips are the same, just clocked differently, the 965 has unlocked multi but doesnt mean Jack Squat, same specs all dhips, identical, thats why you get the 920. If had your budget would get the 295 also, big psu. am using the antec 900 here, does have alot of fans and noise is up there but doesnt bother me, hope this Helps, Shark
January 14, 2009 9:31:25 PM

Hey SpeedMax, where in Bahrain do you buy computer components? Do you have a Fry's? (just kidding). Post a pic of the computer store if you can. I'd love to see how they do it down in the heat. ;) 
January 15, 2009 1:19:43 AM

+1 to xthekidx on the Mushkin RAM.

Something occurred to me while reading this post--I'm sure that you will have your aircon cranked up to the max over in Bahrain, but when you go to overclock don't forget that ambient temperature plays a big role in your ultimate speed.

If you've got a high OC set up under 20 degree Celsius A/C, then don't ever run that in your room without aircon, as you may be liable to blow the whole thing up.
January 15, 2009 2:37:23 AM

Get the Corsair Dominator with matching cooling fan:

http://www.corsair.com/

The ONLY way to fly! :) 

MRFS
January 15, 2009 2:58:07 AM

+1 to MRFS, at least until G.Skill releases its "Perfect Storm" DDR3-2000. :D 
January 15, 2009 3:00:22 AM

Hey Guys,

Sorry I haven't replied earlier I've been a little busy with the family...thanks alot for your replies peeps :) 

Quote:
sharken

Go with the Asus P6t deluxe, the OC palm is useless dont bother with it, your setup is same as what i got, 920@3.8 easy, Asus p6t Deluxe, Thermalright ultra 120 extreme, Corsair Dominator 1600mhz, its Bada$$.
all the i7 chips are the same, just clocked differently, the 965 has unlocked multi but doesnt mean Jack Squat, same specs all dhips, identical, thats why you get the 920. If had your budget would get the 295 also, big psu. am using the antec 900 here, does have alot of fans and noise is up there but doesnt bother me, hope this Helps, Shark

===================

Shark, thanks for your very informative details, I was putting the Asus P6T Deluxe in mind so I think i'm gonna go for it and most likely i'm gonna go for the 295 since i'm on budget + the Corsair HX1000W PSU I had in mind.

===================

Quote:
forouza1

Hey SpeedMax, where in Bahrain do you buy computer components? Do you have a Fry's? (just kidding). Post a pic of the computer store if you can. I'd love to see how they do it down in the heat. ;) 

Hey Forouza...lol don't worry bro we have air conditioning running 24/7 if you like, besides I live in a 2 storey house with central airconditioning....i'll try and post a pic ;) 

===================

Quote:
xthekidx

this is the best ddr3-1600 memory I have seen out there at 7-8-7-20 timings, however a bit pricey
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820226030

I found those at the store yesterday...if you strongly suggest i'd go for them better than the Corsairs then No Problem.

====================

Quote:
xthekidx

So what resolutions are you going to be playing at? Do you have a monitor yet? I ask because a gtx 280 (or a gtx 260 216 for that matter) will probably max out any game to come out in the next year if you are playing at 1440x900, and anything more is just tossing your money away. if you have a monitor or plan to get one that runs at 1920x1200 or more though, then you will want a more powerful graphics configuration.

I haven't got a monitor yet but i'm planning on a Samsung 22", I've heard 1060X1050===>not sure if it's the right num, is great to play at and maybe 1920x1200 for full graphics power since i'm a graphics freak :D 

=====================

Quote:
xthekidx

I just read an article from overclockers club and they found that 1 gtx 295 was roughly equal to 2 gtx 260-216's in sli, the gtx 295 got maybe 1-2% more fps (like 119 vs 118 @ 1920x1200 in COD world at war @ max settings)

So 2 gtx 280's in sli will probably give you more performance, but again consider cost and power consumption and HEAT in your room with these beasts. I personally would just go with 1 card.

In any case if you are considering sli with any of these cards then def go with 1000w psu. The gtx 295 has a max power draw of 289watts.

Well my primary config was based on gtx 280's in SLI but since the 295 came out I thought on going for a single 295..but i'm still not sure on what 2 go for, 280's in SLI or a single 295 :pt1cable:  I donno i'm leaning towards SLI :whistle: 

====================

Quote:
cal8949

for the price of 2 velociraptors you could just get 2 ssd 128gb drives run them in raid the get a 1 terabyte hd for 100 more. that will get you almost twice the performance
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231221

Hmmmmmmmmm....this build is gonna make me go nuts!!!!! :pt1cable: 

====================

Regarding the CPU Cooler...shall I go for the Zalman 9700 LED with the 1366 Bracket or the Thermaltright Ultra 120 Extreme???

Once again thanks heaps for your very very very informative and amazing help..you guys are the best, that's what I expected from your forum.

it's almost 8 am now here and i'm at work so i'll catch ya later buddies. :hello: 

January 15, 2009 3:12:23 AM

If you get that rig and only get a 22" monitor, then you've wasted all of your efforts... Don't get less than a 24" monitor.

If you're really a graphics freak, then get a 30" monitor and look to add a second GTX 295 later, since you've got a 1000W PSU.

For 24 inchers, look at the Samsung 245T if you want an S-PVA panel.
January 15, 2009 3:50:03 AM

Don't forget about the gtx 285 (basically a 280 with a little more horsepower) if you think you want to sli
January 15, 2009 4:06:29 AM

Akebono 98 said:
If you get that rig and only get a 22" monitor, then you've wasted all of your efforts... Don't get less than a 24" monitor.

If you're really a graphics freak, then get a 30" monitor and look to add a second GTX 295 later, since you've got a 1000W PSU.

Agreed 100%!!!!!!!! That would be like buying a Dodge Ram Hemi V10 Truck to haul a little jet ski around. You want a Yacht my friend!!! (Go with 30") or a nice big boat (24-26")...I mean..monitor.

I picked up the Samsung 2693HM 26" monitor here in US for ~$450. It is a nice big TN panel and I think it is absolutely gorgeous. I have been really surprised by how good it looks. I had a 24" Dell 2405 before that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001264

Going up to 30" will be anywhere from a $400-600 premium over a 24" or the 26" I quoted above but can make for a great experience.

Just don't break our hearts and buy a 22". :non: 
January 15, 2009 4:37:05 AM

+1 for xthekidx. GTX 285 arrives tomorrow (Thursday) at $400 USD.

+1 to forouza1. However, one thing to consider between a 24" and 26" is that if they are the same native resolution at 1920x1200, then the 24" will be sharper because the pixels will be slightly smaller. However, if you have bad eyes, then get the 26".

If you can afford 2 GTX 295s, then you mind as well just spring for the 30" monitor too.
January 15, 2009 6:36:51 AM

for that budget i would
i7 920
asus p6t or evg x58
corsair 3x2 pc 12800
2 gtx 295
ultra x3 1000 watt or corsair 1000
couple of baracudas raid 0

the rampage board is fricken sweet but unless your going after the record(which you will need nitrogen for) anything more than 2 cards is silly. 2 gtx 295 is silly. safe some cash on the board. is my 2 cents
January 15, 2009 7:06:11 AM

@joemehnert: I think you meant Velociraptors. Are you sure about those 2 GTX 295s??
January 15, 2009 9:42:13 AM

how does nitrogen cooling work? Ive never heard of that before no surprise though didn't know what raid was till a few weeks ago NOOOOOOB
January 15, 2009 10:59:55 AM

Hey guys, new to this thread & forum...hate to be rude and jump in but I am looking at building a similar pc and am still confused on the overclocking and the i7 920. I read over and over that 1.65v is the max power for ram and if you go over this you are voiding your cpu warranty. In order to overclock you need more power to the thing being overclocked correct? My point in asking is I don't really understand how the ram volts and ram performance effect overclocking. Do I want low cas timing & voltage on the ram in order to overclock to the most potential...not really worried about overclocking limits as far as burn out just looking for the concept of overclocking as it relates to buying the best ram to provide the best overclocking ability...I may do water-cooling as far as heat issues go... Also if you can only put 3 sticks of 1600mhz in your 6 slot motherboard because it only supports up to 1066mhz @ 12gb which is better more ram or less higher performing ram? This limit of GB is based on the 2gb per stick max right now for ddr3...

I plan on using this PC for Photoshop, Crysis Warhead, MS FlightSimX, Lightwave 3D and general use

What I believe to be true is 1.5v ram will be able to be overclocked more than 1.6v ram...

thx for any help guys.
January 15, 2009 4:24:18 PM

Here is the CPU you should get. I got my U120 RT 1366 at another site but they are sold out.

http://www.crazypc.com/products/ultra-120-1366-50985.ht...

I just ordered some things from crazypc and they shipped very fast and answered my email questions very fast.

I ordered an extra fan holder bracket from them and another fan.

Here is the fan holder
http://www.crazypc.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&S...

You could replace the 3pin fan and buy two of these:
http://www.directron.com/af12025pwm.html

They are PWM fans that have 4 pins that will fit the 4pin motherboard cpu fan header and let the motherboard control the fan speed. They also have a built in daisy chain so you can connect two or more together so both will run off of the cpu fan header.

Right now I just have two 68cfm 3 pin fans that will run on full all of the time. I haven't installed my U120 yet so I don't know how loud it will be. If its too loud I will get these fans.

@PuckFu
With i7 you don't have FSB and you can clock the cpu independent of the ram, so it doesn't matter. You just set the memory multiplier to adjust the ram to the specified speed and leave everything else on auto.... That is unless you get the OCZ 1600mhz ram I had and had to rma... But yeah make sure the auto voltage setting keeps your ram voltage at 1.65v or below. With that OCZ ram I had it would push it up to 1.8v . I used Easytune6 to check my voltage. It came with my Gigabyte MB.
January 15, 2009 7:44:25 PM

@cah027
So your saying that the old architecture FSB MB's overclocking meant your ram was overclocked due to cpu-ram tie in vs overclocking RAM for performance. I shouldn't bother overclocking the RAM?
I saw Kingston had some 1.5v RAM for the i7 mb's that is why I ask, 1.5v leaves .15v for overclock....
January 16, 2009 12:21:24 AM

If it is noise your concerned about, I would use water cooling. It'll keep your processor 10-15 degrees cooler (Farenheit) and will come in great handy if you do decide to overclock. As far as noise you can always add some noise reducing foam to the case which will substantially reduce noise. By the way, nice rig your going for. What kind of video card(s) do you plan on using?
January 16, 2009 9:08:09 AM

Wassup people,

I'm back again :)  Once again thank you very very much for your follow up, comments & suggestions, you all have been very helpful and I really appreciate that.

Ok Now i'm even a little more confused regarding the Graphics Card..

since the GTX 285 is officially released since yesterday, here comes the important question..

Shall I go for GTX 285's in SLI or GTX 280's in 3xSLI or a Single GTX 295??!!!!! :pt1cable:  :whistle: 

=============================

Regarding the Monitor, I've seen 2 awesome 24 and 26 inch monitors that I really liked..

it's the Samsung T240

ignore the 1st comment...lol

and also the T260

Seems like good reviews and also excellent comments on both on youtube.

================================

Again I ask, for the CPU Cooler which is better the Zalman 9700 LED or the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme RT?

================================

What good liquid cooling you guys suggest??

===============================

Quote:
joemehnert

for that budget i would
i7 920
asus p6t or evg x58
corsair 3x2 pc 12800
2 gtx 295
ultra x3 1000 watt or corsair 1000
couple of baracudas raid 0

the rampage board is fricken sweet but unless your going after the record(which you will need nitrogen for) anything more than 2 cards is silly. 2 gtx 295 is silly. safe some cash on the board. is my 2 cents

Are you sure u mean 2x295's?? coz at the end of the post you said 2 gtx 295 is silly and then you recommended it at the beginning!!

==================

Quote:
Akebono 98

Tell me what you think of the LCD's I mentioned at the beginning :) 

=====================

Quote:
MAMW93

If it is noise your concerned about, I would use water cooling. It'll keep your processor 10-15 degrees cooler (Farenheit) and will come in great handy if you do decide to overclock. As far as noise you can always add some noise reducing foam to the case which will substantially reduce noise. By the way, nice rig your going for. What kind of video card(s) do you plan on using?

Thanks for your opinion on my rig ;) 
You can also change the stock fans with better and more silent ones...still haven't decided on the video cards, check my reply on top.

===================

Quote:
cah027

Thank you very much for your suggestions, i've already put the U120 along with the Zalman 9700 in my list ;)  will check the fans you suggested..thanks :) 

===================

Quote:
PuckFu101

Welcome to the Forums bro, you're on the same road as I am :D  you definately came to the right forum ;) 

=================

Quote:
xthekidx
this is the best ddr3-1600 memory I have seen out there at 7-8-7-20 timings, however a bit pricey
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820226030

I found this exact kit at a local store...still haven't decided between this and the Corsair Dominator :whistle: 

================

January 16, 2009 10:21:25 AM

Given that you want to go with 1920x1200 resolution and not a 30" monitor, then SLI GTX 285 with the option to add a third in the future would be most sensible, IMO. Single GPU video cards seem to scale the best right now. However, check your mobo expansion slot layout first--the Rampage II Extreme would leave the third video card hanging off the end. The only "true" tri-SLI boards are the eVGA X58 and the Asus P6T6 WS Revolution.

If you want to use the GTX 295 instead, then you should probably get the Asus P6T Deluxe V2, which leaves space between the two cards for airflow. Start with one GTX 295 and add the second one later (and upgrade to a 30" monitor while you're at it).

Thermalright is the better cooler, but if you want something a little unique, have a look at this one (coming soon): Xigmatek Thor's Hammer.

This is only my personal preference, but I'd go with T240 because the visual proportion of a 24" monitor on your desk feels about right to me. I think that a 26" is a bit too big for my tastes.

As for the RAM, the Mushkin does have tighter timings...

Good luck!
January 16, 2009 11:26:51 AM

Akebono 98 said:
Given that you want to go with 1920x1200 resolution and not a 30" monitor, then SLI GTX 285 with the option to add a third in the future would be most sensible, IMO. Single GPU video cards seem to scale the best right now. However, check your mobo expansion slot layout first--the Rampage II Extreme would leave the third video card hanging off the end. The only "true" tri-SLI boards are the eVGA X58 and the Asus P6T6 WS Revolution.

If you want to use the GTX 295 instead, then you should probably get the Asus P6T Deluxe V2, which leaves space between the two cards for airflow. Start with one GTX 295 and add the second one later (and upgrade to a 30" monitor while you're at it).

Thermalright is the better cooler, but if you want something a little unique, have a look at this one (coming soon): Xigmatek Thor's Hammer.

This is only my personal preference, but I'd go with T240 because the visual proportion of a 24" monitor on your desk feels about right to me. I think that a 26" is a bit too big for my tastes.

As for the RAM, the Mushkin does have tighter timings...

Good luck!

That was very enlightning... :sarcastic: 

What about performance wise between the GTX285 SLI and GTX295 Single card?? How's that gonna be??

I think i'm gonna go for the T240, I don't feel comfortable with really huge monitors, besides my room already has a huge 46" Samsung LCD but unfortunately it's not Full HD just HD Ready...

January 16, 2009 11:30:27 AM

I just read this at anandtech....

Quote:
In summary, despite its typical 10% performance advantage, the GeForce GTX 285 offers less price/performance than the GTX 280. The closest price competitor to the GTX 285, the Radeon HD 4870 X2, also offers better value, but at a higher price.

:pt1cable: 

January 16, 2009 1:49:06 PM

thermalright ultra extreme 120 TRUE Copper...it weighs 4 lbs and is phenomenal for air cooling but is recommended for cases where the motherboard lies flat not upright because obviously upright motherboards means 4lbs of cooler pulling on the cpu/mb...anyone here had this cooler in a upright case for a LONG time and do you see any problems? Do you think there may be a way to rig it with straps/mounts to reduce the stress on the motherboard? I really want to try air-cooling with the 920 + gtx 295 +true copper in hopes off being cool enough for a moderate overclock...maybe 3.6-3.8ghz on i7 920. I have read that by NO MEANS do you want to move your case around upright, lay it sideways for transport and most even say permanently.

Any Thoughts...

Speedmax,
I would go for the gtx295...I have seen benchmarks for all cards other than 285 and they are all 295 wins. I read specs on 285 and 295 and they were roughly 240 pipelines (285) and 420 pipelines (295)...the 295 is top dog in both one card and two card setups. I also believe that your better off with a one card setup vs 2 old cards. Obviously the 295 is the way to go especially if your looking for SLI setups for performance. If you are looking for SLI just for looks of 3 cards then you may want cheaper cards.
I have seen most SLI is better when it's 2 cards as 3 cards rarely offer any significant performance gains. Also DX11 is coming by the end of 2009 so you may want one 295 and upgrade in 2010 if you want dx11...gives them time to get the bugs out. The only benefit for a 285 over a 280 is less heat...the 295 may offer less heat and better performance than the 280.

this is the official link for the exact cooler I am refering to.
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu...
January 16, 2009 2:52:21 PM

PuckFu101 said:
thermalright ultra extreme 120 TRUE Copper...it weighs 4 lbs and is phenomenal for air cooling but is recommended for cases where the motherboard lies flat not upright because obviously upright motherboards means 4lbs of cooler pulling on the cpu/mb...anyone here had this cooler in a upright case for a LONG time and do you see any problems? Do you think there may be a way to rig it with straps/mounts to reduce the stress on the motherboard? I really want to try air-cooling with the 920 + gtx 295 +true copper in hopes off being cool enough for a moderate overclock...maybe 3.6-3.8ghz on i7 920. I have read that by NO MEANS do you want to move your case around upright, lay it sideways for transport and most even say permanently.

Any Thoughts...

======================

I think the True Black 120 is the one mostly recommended...but man those fans are huge!!!! :ouch: 

======================

Speedmax,
I would go for the gtx295...I have seen benchmarks for all cards other than 285 and they are all 295 wins. I read specs on 285 and 295 and they were roughly 240 pipelines (285) and 420 pipelines (295)...the 295 is top dog in both one card and two card setups. I also believe that your better off with a one card setup vs 2 old cards. Obviously the 295 is the way to go especially if your looking for SLI setups for performance. If you are looking for SLI just for looks of 3 cards then you may want cheaper cards.
I have seen most SLI is better when it's 2 cards as 3 cards rarely offer any significant performance gains. Also DX11 is coming by the end of 2009 so you may want one 295 and upgrade in 2010 if you want dx11...gives them time to get the bugs out. The only benefit for a 285 over a 280 is less heat...the 295 may offer less heat and better performance than the 280.

this is the official link for the exact cooler I am refering to.
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu...

I think i'm gonna go for a single GTX 295 at the moment + Asus P6T Deluxe V2 or Rampage II Extreme

January 16, 2009 2:55:37 PM

Oh btw...what fans do you suggest to replace the Stock Fans in the Antec 1200?? I also would like to change the Blue color and make it green or red for example...it's not necessary,but just for fun..what do you suggest guys??

January 16, 2009 3:07:46 PM

As to the motherboard if you intend to run TRI-SLI right now the
ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard is the ONLY Board which runs at a TRUE 16x16x16 and not only that but if you look at the slots (BLUE) the location of the bottom slot allows for use of tri sli in most pc cases whereas other motherboards have the 3rd slot @ 4x or 8x and on the bottom which means most cases are problematic if even usable. I plan on getting this motherboard due to those factors..
the other restriction for this board is * True @ x16 3-Way SLI™ in slots 1, 3 and 5 when slots 2 and 4 are not occupied.

As to the fans there are plenty of fans out there but since your on air and using possibly sli later you may want a fan that moves more air vs a supersilent fan...watch for fans which have rpm limits as they move less air because of their silent features...I am still searching myself
January 16, 2009 5:40:29 PM

Ok guys...I think i'm gonna go for the Asus P6T6 WS Revolution Mobo, although i'm not going for SLI at the moment since I decided to go for a Single 295, but i'm gonna upgrade later on for 295's Tri Sli..YEAH BABY!!! :D  and maybe upgrade the CPU 2 the 965 Extreme when going for Tri SLi..

Case: Antec 1200

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Quadcore 2.66Ghz

Motherboard: Asus P6T6 WS Revolution

Memory: Mushkin 6GB XP3 Series (XP3-12800) DDR3 1600 MHz 3 x 2 GB Triple Channel Kit - Latency: 7-8-7-20

Graphics Card: Evga Nvidia GTX 295

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme 1366 RT or Zalman 9700LED with Zalman ZM-CS4A 1366 Bracket

HDD Drives: 2x300GB Western Digital Velociraptors 10,000RPM

LCD Monitor: Samsung T240

Soundcard: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium FATAL1TY Champion Series

Speakers: Logitech Z5500

Optical Drive: LG Black 6X Bluray Model GGC-H20L

Power Supply: Corsair HX1000W

==========================

Just a small question..will Vista 64bit see the whole 6GB??I'm asking this coz i've heard some people saying that Vista 64 bit didn't report the Whole 6GB.. :( 

==========================

This is still not final as I might consider going for Asus P6T Deluxe V2 as suggested by Akebono 98 ;) 

Anybody wants this rig?? :lol: 

January 16, 2009 5:43:40 PM

PuckFu101 said:
As to the motherboard if you intend to run TRI-SLI right now the
ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard is the ONLY Board which runs at a TRUE 16x16x16 and not only that but if you look at the slots (BLUE) the location of the bottom slot allows for use of tri sli in most pc cases whereas other motherboards have the 3rd slot @ 4x or 8x and on the bottom which means most cases are problematic if even usable. I plan on getting this motherboard due to those factors..
the other restriction for this board is * True @ x16 3-Way SLI™ in slots 1, 3 and 5 when slots 2 and 4 are not occupied.

As to the fans there are plenty of fans out there but since your on air and using possibly sli later you may want a fan that moves more air vs a supersilent fan...watch for fans which have rpm limits as they move less air because of their silent features...I am still searching myself

I've read lots of good comments about the P6T6 WS Revolution...I like the layout of the mobo..seems like it's gonna be in my rig although i won't be going for tri sli at the moment but will use it for later upgrades.

Asfor the fans,this needs a bit more research now. :) 
!