So how fast is 24 ssd's in raid? watch here

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Okay people in the video are mistaken...

"What I explained to guys was that while one SSD gives you an amazing two hundred and twenty megabytes a second access speed"........WRONG! Thats not access speed, its read speed. Access is not data, its time...

"Super fast Defrag"...they are SSD's you don't defrag SSD's, infact they don't even defrag, the Os thinks they do but due to wear leveling technology, it just places the data in different spots...so don't fall for thier bullshit lol...any SSD will defrag that fast.

"I can delete all the speeches by george bush"...no crap, thats because the SSD doesn't delete them, windows just takes them off its file table and trim deletes later...any SSD can do that.

"PLaying crysis on high resolution"...SSD's don't affect gaming performance, its all in the MB, RAM, CPU, GPU...storage has nothing to do with FPS.

I really don't think these dudes know what they are talking about lol.

And I bet one OCZ Z-Drive R2 E88 will by itself, put all 24 of those SSD's to shame.

You sound just like my wife, lets find the gray lining in every silver cloud. Jeesh, get a grip will ya. It's a flippin youtube video. It's still pretty awesome.

WTF? You would NEVER defrag a SSD?

Btw, here is a quick bench of a 1GB (DDR2 @ 667) RAM drive.
4433346194_ea936d899b_o.png

People have been using RAM drives for years to get this kind of speed. The only advantage for a system using SSDs is cost per GB and array size. If one has only a small file set that needs insane access speeds, read/write,etc a small RAM disk will do the trick.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I once made a Ram drive from my OCZ platinum RAM. Its DDR3 at 1600Mhz/Cas7 and reads were almost 6,000mbps if I remember correctly. I am guessing RAM vs SSD access times is like a snail and a SR71 Blackbird in comparison isn't it?

Also what would be awsome is if there was a special "mini-power supply"...say 50watts or so in your case that fit lets say into a drive bay or whatever and would give power to your ram and have lets say some GB's of ram where your OS would be installed in...just the OS, no pagefile/hb files..etc. Since windows 7 is around 8GB you can have 24GB of total system memory and have 8GB partitioned for win7. Those 8GB would continue to have power even during a restart. This would mean that your OS would boot from your ram...into your ram. In this case, windows would probably boot in milliseconds,,,maybe microseconds. I am not sure how to go about this or if such a setup would work...but you get my main idea.