Sign in with
Your question

EX58-UD3R onboard network/LAN problems

Last response: in Motherboards
June 4, 2009 3:47:42 PM

I just built a new system based on the GA-EX58-UD3R board. So far I am happy with the board but with one exception. The onboard LAN interface stops working after a few hours to a few days.

My system is dual-boot between XP and Win7 and the problem persists between OS's and reboots. The problem also persists with GRML, Puppy Linux, OpenSolaris, Ubuntu LiveCDs.
The interface shows as up and with link to the switch. Windows reports packets sent, but no packets are ever received.

I have tried multiple drivers (Gigabyte driver CD, Gigabyte website, MS Update, Realtek website). The different drivers were tried after the interface went haywire and none recovered the interface.

I have found that if COMPLETELY remove power (unplug) from the system for a while (hour or so), the onboard lan starts functioning again on all the OS's mentioned previously. I am running the F5 bios presently, but the problem seems to persist with both F5 and F6 bios, and even persists between bios flashes.

I know that the onboard LAN interface is supplied 5V from the power supply even when the system is off. Perhaps this is interefering with the interface from resetting properly after it gets into a failed state?

Has anyone else noticed this problem with this motherboard?

a c 177 V Motherboard
June 5, 2009 2:23:05 AM

This MOBO uses the same RealTek chip as all 'd' series Gbs, the 8111C; the drivers (especially the Win7 ones) should be fine - every problem I've ever seen with this wound up being traceable to the router or switch...
June 5, 2009 2:42:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. I initially suspected my switch and router, but eliminated both after I plugged in two laptops, and another desktop into the same switch/ports/router and they worked fine.
Related resources
June 8, 2009 5:23:13 PM

Where does the MS Windows Update driver come from for this? Is it from Real Tek or Gigabyte or someone else?

I'm using the Driver from the mobo installation CD and everything runs fine. But I see tons of complaints on the Newegg reviews from people saying that when they installed the Windows Update recommended driver, which is supposedly newer and more updated then the one on the Gigabyte Install Disc, that the LAN stopped working properly.

Just curious.
June 9, 2009 10:23:23 PM

I'm having the exact same problems.

It happened once or twice and seemed to fix itself when I powered off the PC.

It just happened a hour ago and I think it won't fix itself this time. Smart LAN from the bios doesn't even recognize anything. I've tried XP Pro 64bit and Win 7 RC, neither has recognized the ethernet card.

Any suggestions? Its kind of annoying to replace the motherboard even if its under warrenty...
June 9, 2009 10:32:49 PM

I reread the original post and realized I was shutting down the PC instead of unplugging it fully :) . It just fixed my ethernet problems.... but its still a hassle. Seems to happen once every 2 weeks lol. My computer normal uptime is about 8 hours a day, then its shutdown remainder of the day.

Strange, I thought gigabyte was suppose to be a top brand. My friend is having different ethernet issues with his older gigabyte board as well. So far MSI has never failed me, can't say the same for ASUS or gigabyte :( 
June 9, 2009 11:01:19 PM

It an issue that should be fixable by BIOS. Contact Gigabyte about it and hopefully they'll solve the problem with the next BIOS release.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 26, 2010 4:45:23 PM

heavytwenty said:
I'm having the exact same problems.

It happened once or twice and seemed to fix itself when I powered off the PC.

It just happened a hour ago and I think it won't fix itself this time. Smart LAN from the bios doesn't even recognize anything. I've tried XP Pro 64bit and Win 7 RC, neither has recognized the ethernet card.

Any suggestions? Its kind of annoying to replace the motherboard even if its under warrenty...

Please, do not use anymore SMART LAN - I have a Gigabyte MA78GPM - DS2H and the network worked fine until I tested "Smart Lan" from Bios - after that point I had to reinstall the LAN driver to make it work...
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 26, 2010 5:26:25 PM

Now ya see here son, this is what we call a dead thread, it died as no one was interested or no one had info for it, or the author found the info and decided to let the thread die.

So we buried it, gave it a funeral and let it lie in peace.

Now what ya have done here is Necrothreaded it back into the living realm, disturbing its grave and its peace! Why boy, why? The poor thread has suffered enough! Let it rest!!
!