cmd.exe does not get %systemroot% value

When I go to a command prompt (cmd.exe or command.exe) I
do not get the correct path value. This causes common
commands to fail. Such as ping. I get the message:

'PING' is not recognized as an internal or external
command,
operable program or batch file.

However if I manually do cd \windows\system32 it works.

If if type the path command I get:

PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%
\System32\Wbem;etc...

If I look at my Environment Variables under My Computer
Properties it shows correctly C:\Windows\System 32,etc
and my Windir variable shows as C:\Windows. And if you
click on the Edit button for those variables they show as
%SystemRoot% instead of C:\Windows.

This has caused some problems with some other
applications as well.

If anyone has a clue as to how to fix I would greatly
appreciative.
1 answer Last reply
More about systemroot value

    Dan, check here http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select C
    and scroll to command prompt.

    "Dan Troxell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I go to a command prompt (cmd.exe or command.exe) I
    > do not get the correct path value. This causes common
    > commands to fail. Such as ping. I get the message:
    >
    > 'PING' is not recognized as an internal or external
    > command,
    > operable program or batch file.
    >
    > However if I manually do cd \windows\system32 it works.
    >
    > If if type the path command I get:
    >
    > PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%
    > \System32\Wbem;etc...
    >
    > If I look at my Environment Variables under My Computer
    > Properties it shows correctly C:\Windows\System 32,etc
    > and my Windir variable shows as C:\Windows. And if you
    > click on the Edit button for those variables they show as
    > %SystemRoot% instead of C:\Windows.
    >
    > This has caused some problems with some other
    > applications as well.
    >
    > If anyone has a clue as to how to fix I would greatly
    > appreciative.

Configuration System32 Command Prompt Windows XP