Tags:
  • Asus
  • BIOS
  • Hard Drives
  • Devices
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
June 4, 2009 5:40:07 PM

On the IDE cable I have two devices, the master a Lite-On DVD Drive and on slave a Hitachi 80 GB HDD. In bios only one device is detected, the one on Master. Even if I switch the two drives, the one on master is the one that gets detected.

However when I cut power to the Master, the slave shows up in bios. I've tried using a different DVD and Hard Drive, using a different IDE Ribbon, and tried updating the bios to three different versions.

Two of those got me a "Please Run setup to recover bios" message on POST.
For now I'm gonna hold with the bios flashing in fear of damaging it badly. It works now without the recover bios message just without the slave IDE device.

I'm stumped on this one.

More about : m3a78 detecting ide devices

June 6, 2009 7:16:49 AM

iman7 said:
On the IDE cable I have two devices, the master a Lite-On DVD Drive and on slave a Hitachi 80 GB HDD. In bios only one device is detected, the one on Master. Even if I switch the two drives, the one on master is the one that gets detected.

However when I cut power to the Master, the slave shows up in bios. I've tried using a different DVD and Hard Drive, using a different IDE Ribbon, and tried updating the bios to three different versions.

Two of those got me a "Please Run setup to recover bios" message on POST.
For now I'm gonna hold with the bios flashing in fear of damaging it badly. It works now without the recover bios message just without the slave IDE device.

I'm stumped on this one.

change the jumper to cable select or slave for the second device
!