Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I’m second guessing my 9800 GTX+ purchase (need decision help)

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 10, 2009 3:42:58 PM

I recently bought a BFG GeForce 98000 GTX+ 1GB from a local big box store for the relatively high price of $250 +tax. I’m considering returning the card and buying a better one online for the same price. The two cards I’m looking at are:

ATI HD4870 - 1GB (Asus)
or
GeForce GTX 260 core 216 - 896MB (XFX)

So the questions are
1) Is this a worthwhile upgrade?
2) If so, which of the two candidates are better?

The system is a Core 2 Quad Q8300, with 6GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 550 watt power supply.

More about : guessing 9800 gtx purchase decision

a c 197 U Graphics card
February 10, 2009 4:13:09 PM

1: Yes.

2: flip a coin.

3: Watch which type of cooler you have if you go for the 4870. A lot of them do n`t push the heat out of the case and this can lead to overheating issues, both with the card and surrounding cards/MB components.
February 10, 2009 4:27:32 PM

soo-nah-mee said:
I recently bought a BFG GeForce 98000 GTX+ 1GB from a local big box store for the relatively high price of $250 +tax. I’m considering returning the card and buying a better one online for the same price. The two cards I’m looking at are:

ATI HD4870 - 1GB (Asus)
or
GeForce GTX 260 core 216 - 896MB (XFX)

So the questions are
1) Is this a worthwhile upgrade?
2) If so, which of the two candidates are better?

The system is a Core 2 Quad Q8300, with 6GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 550 watt power supply.


i would get the 4870, either sapphire because of awesome cooler or XFX for awesome double lifetime warranty oh and yes keep it a 1GB. the XFX 1GB is $274.99 so you are paying a little extra for the warranty but its the best. Sapphire cards are known for the best coolers but only have a 2 year warranty. the cheapest Sapphire is $189.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Related resources
February 10, 2009 4:28:47 PM

Quote:
2: flip a coin.

lol
I was afraid I'd get that response! The only thing that pushes me toward the Radeon is the 1GB vs. 896 MB of the GeForce, but that's probably just the subconscious "bigger is better" thing happening.
February 10, 2009 4:58:55 PM

Quote:
the cheapest Sapphire is $189.99

...for the 512MB, but like you say, I'll definitely stick with the 1GB. Still $224.99 for the Sapphire 1GB with free shipping and $10 rebate is a dam good price.

The deal with the XFX GeForce is $274.99 with free shipping, FarCry2 (which I've read is just so-so), and a $30 rebate ($244.99 and free game). Also a good deal, but if the performance of these 2 cards are so close, I might as well save a few bucks and go with the 4870.

It's frustrating for someone like me to make a decision based on the specs because they are so different from ATi to Nvidia. I read a comparison between the two here ...they had a tough time picking a winner too.
February 10, 2009 5:06:19 PM

soo-nah-mee said:
Quote:
the cheapest Sapphire is $189.99

...for the 512MB, but like you say, I'll definitely stick with the 1GB. Still $224.99 for the Sapphire 1GB with free shipping and $10 rebate is a dam good price.

The deal with the XFX GeForce is $274.99 with free shipping, FarCry2 (which I've read is just so-so), and a $30 rebate ($244.99 and free game). Also a good deal, but if the performance of these 2 cards are so close, I might as well save a few bucks and go with the 4870.

It's frustrating for someone like me to make a decision based on the specs because they are so different from ATi to Nvidia. I read a comparison between the two here ...they had a tough time picking a winner too.


the XFX 1GB 4870 comes with stalker clearsky but its $274.99, but either way go with the 4870
February 10, 2009 6:04:14 PM

HD4870 it is! Thanks for your advice; much appreciated. Placing order right now.
February 10, 2009 10:53:43 PM

soo-nah-mee said:
HD4870 it is! Thanks for your advice; much appreciated. Placing order right now.


np. enjoi
February 10, 2009 11:13:10 PM

Snag the Sapphire 1GB one for $225. The XFX warranty is nice but they use the trashy reference cooler. That makes even a 50 year warranty look bad.
!