Sign in with
Your question

All of a sudden Microsoft outlook 2007 lost its profile

Last response: in Windows XP
June 21, 2011 9:58:43 AM

Dear Experts

Today I was fixing networking issue for one of my client (router and a parallel HP printer).

He is using a desktop with windows XP professional SP3

During my work on his computer I used two softwares which are CClenaer (tune up his computer browser ) and Kyocera Printer Driver Deleter to remove the driver for the HP printer (it was not working properly)

When I finished my work Before I left his office he was able to download a file from his outlook (used as mail client for his ISP) 2007 (means it was working), to test the printer if it prints or not.

I chose an option : “Install windows updates and shutdown” and I left his office then I received a call from him telling me that his outlook is not finding a file :
  1. C:\Documents and Settings\omrion\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\test.pst

When I drove back to his office and checked the file “test.pst” I could not find such a file in the location above(i.e C:\Documents and Settings\omrion\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook) !!!!!!

For sure I had not touched his outlook when I was working the first time.

I felt embarrassed he might have thought that I had damage his outlook.

I checked the Control Panel --> Mail --> Data Files I found those 3 profiles :
  1. Name Path
  2. ------- ---------
  3. Omrion’s email Outlook.pst in C:\emailfile
  4. Personal Folders Outlook.pst in C:\omrion\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft
  5. I forget name test.pst in C:\Documents and Settings\omrion\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

I am not sure what he had all those three files!!!

The size of the first two profiles (Outlook.pst) are almost 2 GB

The size of test.pst 1 KB hence I deleted it

What should I do to fix this issue ?

He told me that such a problem (he could not recall the exact issue) happened before and someone came to fix that issue for him

I tried to use either one of : Outlook.pst in C:\emailfile or Outlook.pst in C:\omrion\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft

All I can see the old emails till 2009 but not afterwards !!!!!

Can ccleaner or Kyocera Printer Driver Deleter cause this problem ?

How can I fix the problem ? It is an urgent issue please

Regards
June 21, 2011 10:37:37 PM

ccleaner may have deleted it, who knows. Thats the point of the tool, to delete things for us without having involvement. Its good most the time, but I hate to be on the wrong end of the last 5% when it causes trouble.

Anyway, if test.pst is 1kb, then it had no data stored on it. If you want to run a system restore, that will restore the deleted file should it not have been wiped from the trash can.

I'd check in the Mail control panel app that he is using the correct profile (not data files). If there is only one, - does he download and delete from his ISP? If just download, he could redownload everything again from his ISP.

Are folders missing? Is it just his inbox that reverted back to 2007? If folders, then it may have been a screwy deletion by CCleaner, but that seems unlikely. Take some time to consider everything and try a system restore.
m
l
June 26, 2011 12:07:57 PM

Thanks CompTIA_Rep

I do not why I have not received an email notification for your response, although that option was chosen in my profile !!!!!

Quote:
If you want to run a system restore, that will restore the deleted file should it not have been wiped from the trash can.

Are you saying if a file is accidentally deleted and purged from the trash bin then a system restore can not recover it ?

Because I used the system restore (two different dates) and I was not able to get the emails !!!!!!!

Quote:
Are folders missing? Is it just his inbox that reverted back to 2007?

Folders.

Quote:
by CCleaner, but that seems unlikely.

I can not be convinced I have been using CClenaer since it was born I didn't have any problem

Now my second question if I create a new .pst file can I copy the address book from the old .pst file that we have ??

Regards
m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2011 2:01:00 PM

System restore also keeps a copy of the deleted data, so if the file has been purged, it may or may not come back.

The address book is not stored in the PST.

Personal Address Book (.pab)

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
m
l
June 27, 2011 5:15:02 PM

Do a full disk search for the file, make sure you run under an admin account and enable searching in hidden and system files. I don't see why a cleaner program would decide to delete a .pst file, did it create any logs of what it did.

Also, why is that file called tests.pst, did you create that?

I never ever advise anyone to run those reg cleaner, etc... utilities. If Windows is running fine, leave it. If it's not, re-install it or clean things out manually.

Try using Recuva to check for deleted files.

m
l
June 29, 2011 12:52:40 AM

Hi

Quote:
Do a full disk search for the file, make sure you run under an admin account and enable searching in hidden and system files. I don't see why a cleaner program would decide to delete a .pst file, did it create any logs of what it did.

I can't be convinced either that CCleaner would delete a ".pst" file.

Quote:
called tests.pst

It should be test.pst,,,,,,,It was a typo made by me I just corrected that in my early thread

Quote:
Also, why is that file called test.pst, did you create that?

When the client first time and when I checked his outlook ,,,,outlook was complaining it can't find the
  1. C:\Documents and Settings\omrion\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\test.pst

Why name is "test.pst" I do not know!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then I though by creating a new ".pst" file named "test.pst" might fix the problem of missing path but it wouldn't

Regards
m
l
June 29, 2011 1:34:48 PM

What I meant about the tests, test, whatever .pst is that it's a horrible name to use for anything. It's like creating a folder called "Temp" to keep backups in. Needs to be changed.

If you created the same file and in the same directory I don't see how Outlook would keep complaining about it. Did you actually create a .pst file though or did you create a text file and rename it .pst?
m
l
June 29, 2011 11:13:25 PM

Quote:
What I meant about the tests, test, whatever .pst is that it's a horrible name to use for anything. It's like creating a folder called "Temp" to keep backups in. Needs to be changed.

Yes I do agree with ,,,,this is what I have seen

Quote:
If you created the same file and in the same directory I don't see how Outlook would keep complaining about it.

When Outlook would have complained about missing test.pst ,,,what I did first step of troubleshooting I created a new test.pst in the same directory ,,,,the outlook's complain stopped but then I realized that all emails had disappeared because as you know it was a new profile.

Quote:
Did you actually create a .pst file

Yes through Control Panel --> Mail --> Create new profile,,,,,,,but not through a .txt file
m
l
June 30, 2011 1:32:29 PM

Only thing you can really do is to a search for .pst files on the disk, maybe run an undelete program. That missing .pst file is what has the newer email, without it, no email.
m
l
July 1, 2011 10:43:01 AM

Quote:
Only thing you can really do is to a search for .pst files on the disk, maybe run an undelete program. That missing .pst file is what has the newer email, without it, no email.

Thanks hang this will be considered
Appreciate
m
l
December 15, 2011 9:43:27 AM

Hi,

Maybe your PST file is oversized. Microsoft Outlook 2002 and earlier versions limit the size of Personal Folders (PST) file to 2GB. Whenever the PST file reaches or exceeds that limit, you will not be able to open or load it any more, or you cannot add any new data to it. This is called oversized PST file problem. More detailed information can be found at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/problems/2gb-pst.htm

You can use Outlook recovery tools to solve the problem. Below is a list of them:

http://www.datanumen.com/aor/compare.htm

Some tools will convert the oversized PST file into Outlook 2003 format. Others will split it into smaller pieces. Most of them provide a free demo so you can try first.

Steve
m
l
June 28, 2012 9:12:31 AM

I think John_Steve is absolutely correct. People do face oversized issues with their PST file which leads to several other serious problems with Outlook application. So, people should try to crop their PST into smaller sizes. To perform this task, you can visit the link below -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296088

This tool will surely help you out. In case the problem persists then, you should better tr the other way out and for that visit site -

http://www.repairpst.info

I am sure using free demo of this tool you will be surely relieved.

All the best!
m
l
!