Rivatuner

radeonman

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
hi - was wondering if anybody uses rivatuner ? i cant seem to set a launcher control profile for my chosen fan speeds , im guesing this might be due to my card not being supported by this program ? anyhow , i have manualy changed my auto fan speed from default ( 25% ) up to 30 % and was wondering if i left it there permanantly would it do it any harm to my graphics card ? on auto - 25% my idle temps were 55+ and stressed with playing fallout 3 at about 75 degrees - now at 30% idle is 41 + deg and stressed at about 55 + deg . i notice the higher i set it the more it makes a noise but it brings the temps down beautifuly although i dont want the noise so 30% i can live with . will this do any harm to the card in the long run withs its fan spinning at higher than factory settings ?

radeonman .

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I guess at some level it will reduce the fans life span, but I wouldnt worry about it. I offen run my 9800GTX fan at 80% when I run it over clocked for games.

Runing it at 30% all the time isnt a problem. Remeber the fan speed wont auto increase if you set it manualy, so use GPU-Z to keep an eye on it while your playing games.

The fan is made to run faster as the gpu temp goes up.

doormatderek

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
shouldnt matter either way, that isn't much of an increase at all in the end. Just keep an eye on your temps when you're gaming. Like Lee said, it won't auto adjust the speed if the temp gets too high when you change it manually. I usually turn mine up manually when i game, right around 60% seems to be enough for my card (4850), and turn it back down when i'm done, when I remember to.. :p I've noticed some games like to crash when it's set to auto, so I prefer to just control it myself.

TRENDING THREADS