Sign in with
Your question

Vista Install on ACHI

Last response: in Motherboards
June 4, 2009 9:30:37 PM

I had a hard time figuring out why i couldn't install vista my sata seagate HD on Native IDE. I contacted my mobo Gigabyte, they tell i have to have it on ACHI for vista to recognize it. They give me the sata achi drivers and it installs perfectly. I want to know why is this? I thought a sata hard drive would be recognize at vista install on native ide, but gigabyte told me achi and im confused why this is.

More about : vista install achi

June 4, 2009 9:53:26 PM

Which motherboard (or what chipset) is it? Intel, nVidia or AMD.
Vista comes with generic AHCI driver during the installation process which works for Intel and nVidia southbridges I've used. Never tried with legacy IDE mode as there's no need.
If you used IDE mode with an nVidia chipset then you'd have to provide external drivers during installation I believe.
June 4, 2009 10:10:24 PM

wuzy said:
Which motherboard (or what chipset) is it? Intel, nVidia or AMD.
Vista comes with generic AHCI driver during the installation process which works for Intel and nVidia southbridges I've used. Never tried with legacy IDE mode as there's no need.
If you used IDE mode with an nVidia chipset then you'd have to provide external drivers during installation I believe.

The mobo is a GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H(chipeset is AMD 790GX South Bridge, AMD SB750 North)

Processor is AMD phenom II 940 X4. The default is native ide, which i thought was fine since i enabled the sata ports on the mobo with the BIOS. I get to the vista install screen and it doesn't detect a thing, so gigabyte tells me ACHI mode and gives me the drivers at install, the HD gets recognized. I dont think i have a legacy ide mode. I just dont understand why the native IDE mode didn't pick up the HD at install.
Related resources
June 4, 2009 10:29:50 PM

There's no such thing as 'native IDE' mode. When you select 'IDE' in BIOS it's referring to the old IDE standard (laid over SATA) which was needed when installing XP without AHCI support integrated.
IDE mode is more driver orientated (not as generic as AHCI) and hence the possible reason why Vista couldn't detect it without providing external driver.

You can install Vista via SB750 (southbridge btw) under AHCI mode without providing the driver Gigabyte has given you during installation. But after installation you will still need to provide fresh drivers to write over the generic drivers anyway once booted into Windows.
June 4, 2009 10:32:34 PM

maybe the chip set was released after vista was released and not included on the CD. thats my guess.
June 4, 2009 10:42:45 PM

So there isnt a "native IDE" mode. If i put native ide mode in google i get hundred of results saying there is one. Obviously im not as computer orientated about everything and not as technical as most posters get. I dont know much about north bridge and south bridge and what not. I did know how to put this build together however. i apprec. the posts, so i installed vista with ACHI on, can i go back and put it on IDE? Or can you install vista with the IDE setting on? I know that ACHI is the updated setting for sata , maybe that's why? Basically giabyte was saying you cant have it on that setting and have to revert to ACHI. From other forums Ive looked at, native ide was ok. My BIOS doesnt have a legacy option, just says native ide, raid and achi, thats it.
June 4, 2009 10:50:09 PM

Looking around I think 'native IDE' only applies to AMD chipsets. It is not used by Intel nor nVidia chipset as far as I know.
Technically speaking AHCI is the 'native' mode for SATA as it supports functions such as hot plugging and Native Command Queuing (NCQ). Those two features aren't supported by the IDE mode(s) when running SATA.
June 5, 2009 8:52:02 AM

Well, I have a Gigabyte mainboard at home with P43 chipset and it does have that "Native IDE" mode option in BIOS under the option to enable AHCI or not. I guess that is because Gigabyte uses Award bios and not AMI one for my board (I use a G45 at work with AMI bios from ASUS and it has no such option). That option fixes my weird random stuttering problem when playing games and watching videos so I guess you should turn that on.

Leaving that aside, it's weird that you need a driver for your installation of Vista and that chipset in AHCI mode. As the AHCI driver comes with Vista is generic and supposedly should work with any AHCI compatible chipset.
June 5, 2009 2:26:34 PM

thuan said:
Well, I have a Gigabyte mainboard at home with P43 chipset and it does have that "Native IDE" mode option in BIOS under the option to enable AHCI or not. I guess that is because Gigabyte uses Award bios and not AMI one for my board (I use a G45 at work with AMI bios from ASUS and it has no such option). That option fixes my weird random stuttering problem when playing games and watching videos so I guess you should turn that on.

Leaving that aside, it's weird that you need a driver for your installation of Vista and that chipset in AHCI mode. As the AHCI driver comes with Vista is generic and supposedly should work with any AHCI compatible chipset.

Yeah, vista wouldnt bring up the HD at install, I couldnt figure it out. So basically what gigabyte was saying is that that either the mobo could not detect the HD with native Ide. I had to turn on achi so that vista could detect it and they sent me an external driver so i could use the drive with the correct achi driver. That, i could not understand, could be a the 32bit version of Ultimate im using. Now with ACHI, my computer boots with this achi detection thing and with it on in the BIOS it doesn't even detect the Burner and HD. When the computer POST, it goes directly to this ACHI scanning thing for all the HD and burner and then i can press a key on the keyboard to get in to something. Why cant this sata and native ide situation be more simplistic. Why have this native ide ,legacy ide. How about just "sata" thats it. I shouldn't have to use ACHI or native ide for a setting. I dont care if they have there advantages. its screwey and should just be no easier then plugging in your sata drives and enabling it in the BIOS. That's all i should ever do, with the exception of raid and adding multiple HD.
June 5, 2009 3:30:06 PM

What you have said is exactly like what happens here except for the driver part. If you want to fix other problems, use ASUS mainboard with AMI bios. The one I used at my work place only has an option to enable AHCI and that's it. It also remembers connected drives across reboots so no redetection. It's sad that Gigabyte let it that way.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2011 10:37:51 PM

fatsauce said:
Yeah, vista wouldnt bring up the HD at install, I couldnt figure it out. So basically what gigabyte was saying is that that either the mobo could not detect the HD with native Ide. I had to turn on achi so that vista could detect it and they sent me an external driver so i could use the drive with the correct achi driver. That, i could not understand, could be a the 32bit version of Ultimate im using. Now with ACHI, my computer boots with this achi detection thing and with it on in the BIOS it doesn't even detect the Burner and HD. When the computer POST, it goes directly to this ACHI scanning thing for all the HD and burner and then i can press a key on the keyboard to get in to something. Why cant this sata and native ide situation be more simplistic. Why have this native ide ,legacy ide. How about just "sata" thats it. I shouldn't have to use ACHI or native ide for a setting. I dont care if they have there advantages. its screwey and should just be no easier then plugging in your sata drives and enabling it in the BIOS. That's all i should ever do, with the exception of raid and adding multiple HD.

Mate nothing bad about but...
That SATA mode is AHCI, not ACHI, it's quite consufusing changing those letters... :pfff: 

The Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a host controller interface defined by Intel which defines the operation of Serial ATA (SATA) host bus adapters in a non-implementation-specific manner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_I...

:hello: 
!