Sign in with
Your question

Pc gaming with 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor. or 40 inch lcd tv?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2009 8:52:03 PM

i currently have a pc with a q6600 4 gigs of ram and an 8800 gtx. i have a gateway 24inch monitor. i always use the 1920 by 1200 res. if i got a 1080p 37-40 inch lcd tv, would that be worth it? or would it not look so good?
February 10, 2009 9:04:01 PM

the resolution on both are almost the same (1920x1200 to 1920x1080) so games will look great on both. I just wouldn't use the TV for anything but games, since text will still be a bit blurry on the tv screen....
February 10, 2009 9:13:12 PM

Mixed responses here...

I currently play some games on my 720p tv, and i have to say that some, if not all of the games look amazing on the tv, but at the same time, u can tell that these games are meant for a monitor. What i think is that even though the tv is high definition, it still cant handle the level of detail that a monitor can, since it isnt meant for close range viewing.

For instance, crysis looks amazing on the tv, but the fact remains that when i actually play the game... for the game... i would prefer the monitor. I think this is why consoles are better suited for tv's; they dont really focus on detail, which is ideal since a tv doesn't demand detail. I think a console on a monitor would probably look really poor; that is just what i think though, i'm not certain, but it would make sense given that a console uses a gpu comparable to a high end 7 series card.

With all that said though, games that are compatible with my gamepad, i still play on the tv, otherwise its the monitor. There is probably alot more i can say, but i would just be going back and fourth on my opinions.
Related resources
February 10, 2009 9:31:30 PM

You may have more processing lag on the TV than you will on your monitor. I also have a 24" monitor, but for kicks and giggles I hooked it up to my 60" TV one day. I could definitely feel the lag when playing FPS games. Racing games rocked though. The pixel refresh is much much faster on my monitor too.
February 10, 2009 9:33:27 PM

well i game at 1920x1080 on my 52 sony 1080p tv and it looks absolutly awesome and as for blurry text absolulty no burry text at all im using tv now to type this message and read the only downfall is ive heard and think maybe true is its harder to game at larger screen sizes 30 and above because your eye dont see the whole screen. i seemed to have to get used to the size for about two weeks and i seemed to adjust fine and EVERY game looks awesome
February 10, 2009 9:44:27 PM

Gryphyn said:
You may have more processing lag on the TV than you will on your monitor. I also have a 24" monitor, but for kicks and giggles I hooked it up to my 60" TV one day. I could definitely feel the lag when playing FPS games. Racing games rocked though. The pixel refresh is much much faster on my monitor too.

was it 1080p and have motion enhancer and all the goodies cause i see no lag in mine and looks sweet although the refresh is faster on monitors i will say unless you get the new true 120hz tvs then you can use those nvidia 3d goggles too though most and mine included is only 60 though doesnt affect anyhting adversly as long as the tv is new enough
February 10, 2009 10:29:29 PM

120hz sony bravia xbr40 = $1,400
Everything looks awesome - Crysis looks spectacular. Still running an overclocked 8800GTS 640 until I do a new system rebuild. I swapped it out for a 1G 4870 from a friend for a day and can honestly say that the screen looks more defined and has much sharper quality. Looking forward to a 3 dvi out + 1 hdmi out 4870 but I think I will have to wait till next gen.
Good luck..
BW11
February 10, 2009 10:37:04 PM

thanks for your help guys!! Hey if I doesn't workout I will just return the tv
!