Installed new CPU fan and now my computer makes a weird beeping noise.

VistaVendetta

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I have an MSI Z68A GD65 Mobo and an Intel Core i7 2600k, I installed a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus and every time I power on my computer I hear a strange beeping sound, the computer its self works fine, I can play DiRT 3 on Ultra setting and CPU temps stay in the mid 40s, but I'm just wondering is there something wrong should I be worried about the beeping noise?

Solution
More likely that the motherboard is detceting the fan running at such a low rpm during post, it is reporting a cpu fan fail. This happens on my sons pc which uses a 212+ and a GA motherboard. Nothing you can do but disable fan fail detection, I personally would have it buzz for a second than not have the peace of mind of it monitoring the fan.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
is it a 3 or 4 wire connector? the standard one is 4 i think which probably has some point. check inside the bios for any cpu fan warnings. it's probably nothing huge if the fan is spinning free and cpu temps are what you would expect

VistaVendetta

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Also, I've gone into control panel and it says I have 16 GB of RAM installed, which I do, and it reads all my other hardware just fine, but there is one thing to consider: that Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus fan is rather huge (http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2923) and when mounting it I realized that the fan is touching my case's wall (The fan I had to mount about 6mm higher on the heatsink so it wouldn't block my memory slots also the spikes on top of the heatsink and the fan it's self are touching the wall), I have an NZXT Hush case (http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/classic_series/hu001) so its not touching metal its touching sound dampening foam but could that be a problem.

More likely that the motherboard is detceting the fan running at such a low rpm during post, it is reporting a cpu fan fail. This happens on my sons pc which uses a 212+ and a GA motherboard. Nothing you can do but disable fan fail detection, I personally would have it buzz for a second than not have the peace of mind of it monitoring the fan.

Solution

VistaVendetta

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009

So the mobo thinks the fan rpm is too low and says the CPU fan is failing, when in reality its that low because its a strong fan that doesn't need high rpms, and thus I should not worry about it. Right?