First ever-built system for novice PLEASE HELP

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 14, 2009 2:58:33 PM

Hi folks,

Please welcome a newbie to the forum, and take easy on me as I am totally novice for building a system for my own. I really need your advice, opinion and experience. OK, so here it goes:

Purpose: a media PC with at least twin view capability with one head is TV and the other head is monitor; can play movies on TV while playing games or doing heavy works (computing, photoshop etc). And having OC capability of course.

OS: linux obviously, maybe Ubuntu or Debian with wine or crossover to run games

Budget: around $1000 is fine. I am not intent to build a very powerful PC. Games are just hobby, not heavily. Also the build is mainly for learning.

Main components: after reading, googling etc... I think I will get Q6600, motherboard like ASUS P5Q, Media center case like SILVERSTONE LC13B-E and a graphic card like 9800 GTX+.

I do not know that if these main components will work fine together, and if yes, what PSU I should choose, what RAM and heat sink etc...

Please advice :) .

D.

More about : built system novice

January 14, 2009 4:40:23 PM

You have a good start. But since you plan on running Linux you need to ask on some Linux forums and find out what will work with Linux hardware wise. I dont think you want to be compiling your own drivers.

Your mobo and CPU choice looks fine. Make sure your HTPC case you selected has decent airflow. 9800GTX+ is a decent GPU, but I would step up to a 260 as they are alot more powerfull. A 650 watt Corsair or PC Power & Cooling PSU would be a decent unit. 4 Gigs of DDR2 800 that run at 1.8v for RAM. In a HTPC case make sure your using a heatsink that fits in the case, but if your not overclocking, just use the stock one.
January 14, 2009 9:07:15 PM

Kaldor said:
You have a good start. But since you plan on running Linux you need to ask on some Linux forums and find out what will work with Linux hardware wise. I dont think you want to be compiling your own drivers.
Obviously I dont. Thanks for this point Kaldor.
Kaldor said:
Make sure your HTPC case you selected has decent airflow.

Sorry, how can I know the case has the decent airflow? I do not see something similar in the specs of the case that I posted.
Kaldor said:
9800GTX+ is a decent GPU, but I would step up to a 260 as they are alot more powerfull. A 650 watt Corsair or PC Power & Cooling PSU would be a decent unit. 4 Gigs of DDR2 800 that run at 1.8v for RAM. In a HTPC case make sure your using a heatsink that fits in the case, but if your not overclocking, just use the stock one.
You are right, I will consider the 260. But how can I tell that the GPU (and the PSU as well) will fit in the case that I chose? I read somewhere that sometimes the GPU is too big to the case, and I want to make sure that I am buying the right components.

Thanks,

D.

Related resources
January 14, 2009 9:23:57 PM

I agree here with Kaldor, HTPC cases are sometimes tricky to use as some of them are made for smaller components and every thing need to be checked as far as dimensions are concerned. If it's in the large HTPC case category then things becomes a bit more easy to figure out.

Also, just a suggestion here, since you're going to be using Linux and this rig as media centre you might want to check out the Myth TV software. Never used it but heard quite a few good things about it. It might worth a look.
January 15, 2009 1:40:11 PM

How about this system:

CPU: Q6600

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q

GPU: Radeon HD 4850

PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W

Case: SILVERSTONE LC13B-E

I just dont know whether those above components will fit in the case or not. Anybody has any idea?

fatcat said:
Also, just a suggestion here, since you're going to be using Linux and this rig as media centre you might want to check out the Myth TV software. Never used it but heard quite a few good things about it. It might worth a look.

Yeah I heard of MythTV, but have not ever tried it. Right now I am using XBMC and I am quite happy with it. Will give MythTV a try :) .

D.

January 15, 2009 4:24:19 PM

dukevn said:
Obviously I dont. Thanks for this point Kaldor.
Sorry, how can I know the case has the decent airflow? I do not see something similar in the specs of the case that I posted.
You are right, I will consider the 260. But how can I tell that the GPU (and the PSU as well) will fit in the case that I chose? I read somewhere that sometimes the GPU is too big to the case, and I want to make sure that I am buying the right components.

dukevn said:
How about this system:

CPU: Q6600

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q

GPU: Radeon HD 4850

PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W

Case: SILVERSTONE LC13B-E

I just dont know whether those above components will fit in the case or not. Anybody has any idea?

The case you listed should be OK for both airflow and size. It has the ability to add another 80mm fan for an intake on the side, Id take advantage of it. Due to space limits you may want consider a smaller modular PSU so you dont have a rats nest of extra stuff inside. Ex: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... The 4850 should be OK for a video card, however I would look at a dual slot solution 4850 like this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... so you can avoid leaving hot air from the video card in the case. Im not sure how good ATIs Linux support is right now either, but I do know Nvidias is much better, so you may still want to get a 260 due to driver issues. Once again, do research so you know your gear will work in Linux before you buy. Motherboard is fine. I prefer this Gigabyte http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... as its considered one of the best P45 boards out there. I own 2 of them, no problems, ever. One in a 24/7 server, other in a gaming machine.

January 16, 2009 8:04:31 PM

Thanks Kaldor. How is the Gigabyte motherboard you are using compared with the ASUS P5Q I suggested in terms of OC? Which can give a better OC with Q6600?

!