I7 Cooler with CM 690 Case

dolemite937

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hello all,

I have been visiting for awhile as I slowly put together my new rig. If you are curious, my old rig is a 2.53Ghz P4 with 1 gig of RAM. Not bad for web surfing, but not much else.

Anyway, here are the parts that I have or are currently on order from Newegg for my new build:

CPU - Intel Core i7 920
Mobo - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel
GPU - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire
Mem - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK
PSU - COOLER MASTER RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Power Supply
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Case - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
DVD Drive - LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model iHAS222-06
OS - Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Thermal Compound - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM46591231

This computer will be used for some video and music editing, possibly a game here or there. Mostly an everyday PC.

Currently I am not planning on overclocking this PC. I am sure that stock it will do everything that I need. I was originally thinking that the stock CPU heat sink and fan would be adequate, but I am thinking that it may be better to install an improved cooler while everything is apart. Here are my questions:

1. Do you recommend a better cooler?
2. If you answered yes to #1, what cooler would you recommend?
3. Will the cooler fit in the CM 690 case and not interfere with a fan install on the side cover?
4. Will the cooler fit and not cover/interfere with the memory?

While doing some research I have found that 3 of the more popular coolers for the Core i7 are:

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
Vigor Monsoon III LT
Cooler Master V8

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

Mike

johnh6789

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
Only can answer #1...Upgrade your stock cooler!

I just ordered a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler for 37$ (also includes a 10$ mail in rebate so 27$ if/when I finally get the money) and the I7 mounting bracket for it. I am having some cooling issues with mine as I posted earlier. I will let you know if I like it. I wish I had seen that Cooler master V8 before hand, it looks really nice! Only thing is I have the HAF 932 case so I wouldn;t be able to tell you about fit...but if you already have the case measure 160 mm up from the CPU and if you don't have interference you're fine!

dolemite937

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to go with the Cooler Master V8. I unexpectedly received everything, but the power supply today. After assembling everything that I could, I wanted to let you know that with the V8 CPU cooler it is not possible to use the higher side case fan. The V8 would hit it. There is no collision with the lower side case fan on the RC-690. Otherwise, it looks like it is a nice CPU cooler. Hopefully, once I get my PSU installed this weekend I will find out if I put this PC together correctly or not.

Thanks again!
mike

dolemite937

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I'm not sure yet how it cools. I received everything but the power supply yesterday and then I had to go on a business trip today. So, I will not be able to finish this build until Thursday or Friday.

The cooler is large, but it does look cool. I'm very anxious to try it out.

dolemite937

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
All right, I finally have everything together and up and running. Using Real Temp, it shows that my CPU temps are @36 deg C. I do not have a way of loading the CPU yet to find out how it cools under pressure, but I'm guessing that the Cooler Master V8 is going to work out just fine.

Hello1

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Hi,

Did PSU - COOLER MASTER RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W install fine in RC-690-KKN1-GP case ?
Should RS-700-AMBA-D3 power supply fan face up or down (.i.e towards floor) when installing it in RC-690-KKN1-GP case?

Is Cooler Master V8 compatible with the RC-690-KKN1-GP case and ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 mother board ?. Did have difficulties installing Cooler Master V8 on CPU using ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 mother board ?

I am thinking to build PC with exact same rig as you have but using WD raptor HDD in raid 0.

I would appreciate if you can share issues you could have come across and tell me how your PC is working.

Thanks for your help in advance.

dolemite937

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you Hello1.

Yes the COOLER MASTER RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W PSU did install with no problems into the RC-690-KKN1-GP case. I installed it with the fan face down. So far no problems with air flow, the PSU stays nice and cool.

I had no problems installing the Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler onto the ASUS P6T Deluxe mother board. It is quite large, but it keeps the i7 nice and cool. It also fit into the 690 Case with no problems. You will not be able to install a fan to the top mount on the side of the case, but the fan that mounts lower on the side for the video card does not interfere with the V8 so you can still use that one.

I believe that my PC has been up and running for a month now and I have not had any issues. It is a great improvement over my last PC.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

mike

^
You should try your hand at Overclocking. The V8 is an AWESOME cooler.

You would have probably had the same fan issue with any 120mm fan CPU cooler. I know my buddy had the same issue with the Antex 1200 case and the V8 cooler. The side fan was in the way.

In the BIOS, is your Memory using the XMP profile? It should be in order to run the 1600 speed.

Then:
Turn off Turbo
Turn off Speed Step
Set the CPU ratio to 20(which is the stock ratio)
Set your vCore (CPU voltage) to: 1.2v (which is stock)
Leave your vDIMM (DRAM voltage) at whatever the XMP sets
Your QPI might be change in the XMP profile, it it is set to AUTO, set to 1.2V (stock speed)
Set your BLK to: 180 (this will be 180*20= 3600 which is 3.6GHZ)

See if this boots. If not start increasing your vcore. I'd bump it up to like 1.25v. THen see if it boots. You want to do this to make sure it boots. Then start testing. I like to use OCCT 3.0.1 change the settings to CUSTOM, and set the following: Large Dataset, High Priority, and check the box next to Hyperthreading. Run for 1 Hr and if it doesn't crash or make the ducky sound (you'll see).

But I would FIRST run OCCT stock, as is, so you know what temps you are running. It will tell you and give you charts when the hour is up.

Once you get 3.6GHZ you can try a BLK of 190 which is 3.8GHz. This is usually the sweet spot for the i7 C0 chips.

You can always try a less agreesive OC like a BLK of 160 which is 3.2GHz. The key is your temps though. I'd say make sure they stay under 90C max. I hit about 85-86C on my 4GHz OC, but i have the D0 stepping which temps to OC a little better.

Also, I have you try at 1.2V because there are some "magical" CPU's out there that OC at lower voltages.

^
Same here just burning some time away.

It's all trial and error, it took me several days to get it all stable and such. You just want to watch your temps, that's all.

One more thing, I'd turn off the Line Load Calibration as well, this says it "helps" with vdroop, but I found it just jacks up the voltage under loads and heats everything up. As long as your vdroop is not all over the place and pretty level you are ok.

If you don't know what vdroop is. This is where, for example, you set the voltage to 1.3V. If you watch this voltage through a monitoring app it will sit at around 1.3 or 1.29v or something like that at idle. When you are under load it will drop to like 1.26 or 1.24v or something like that. Mine does. This is called vdroop and is normal. But some motherboard has settings to combat this because if it droops to much the OC won't hold. The only one that I saw that ACTUALLY works, is on my buddies Gigabyte UD5 Extreme motherboard. It has a completely seperate circuit for this and it still vdroops just not really as much and is consistant. On the Asus, all it does is jack up the voltage, which sucks. So i just turn it off and my temps are good and has a constant voltage even when it droops.

Hello1

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Thank you very much Mike. I really appreciate getting back so quickly. I got PSU and case delivery today. I yet have to order other parts. I will keep in touch.

Thanks

Hello1

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Thank you Jay for sharing how to OC cpu. Once I have built my PC, run it for couple of weeks as is , I would like to OC it. If I run into any difficulties I would get in touch to seek more guidance from you.

Thanks

dolemite937

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hello Jay2tall,

I played around with overclocking, and it appears that I now have my PC running at 3.6 GHz at @42 deg C. It was hanging around 38 deg C before I overclocked it. Not bad. I had to set the vCore and QPI to 1.35v to get it to boot up though.

As for the memory, I changed it to XMP profile but according to CPU-Z it is still running at 1066 Mhz. Is there any other settings that I should change to get my memory's full speed capacity?

Thanks for the info!
mike

Hello1,

Keep us posted with your build.