Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking guide complete beginner level

Last response: in Overclocking
July 7, 2010 9:13:55 PM

Hello everyone at Toms Hardware
Im new to overclocking, Ive only tried overclocking two times, once my old graphics card which completely screwed my windows so I had the do a complete reinstall, and once my old Athlon 64 CPU which only gave me an 11 MHz clock speed increase before instability.
Now, in the near future im planning on buying an AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, and Im planning on OCing it, so I read the AMD Black Edition OC guide here on the forums, but I was really confused. seems like it only explains what to do, not how to do it, and what it means. so I read some other guides here on Toms Hardware but it was still mostly the same, I didnt have enough background knowledge to get much useful out of them.
So this is what im wondering, could a nice person direct my to a complete beginner level OCing guide, not necesarily focused on AMD Black Edition CPUs, but giving me the basic knowledge about OCing, considering CPUs, memory and motherboards etc etc.

much appreciated, and thank you in advance for reading and replying
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 1:47:13 PM

If your truly interested in OC'n then I would recommend that you go back to that guide and research the parts you do not understand.

Google is your friend or type in the "Search Box" at the top of the forums your subject there.

Many people would like to OC but there are no guaranties on your results as every PC will have its own specific settings that work best for that hardware combination.

Good luck to you and remember, we all started where you are now at some point and had to do the same thing.

There just is no easy way to it.:) 
m
l
July 8, 2010 10:22:19 PM

okey, so ive been reading around and im starting to understand but one thing im not sure about... The AMD Black Edition OC guide on this forum, and also other places, tells you to manually set the timings, and clock speeds and such for your memory in the BIOS. If im only gonna OC my CPU by adjusting the multiplier, do I still need to set those memory setting ?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
a c 83 à CPUs
July 9, 2010 4:09:22 AM

Seeing as they are tied together, yes. Manually setting the memory speeds will solve the problem of OC the CPU and having the memory speed (which is tied to it) increase beyond what the memory can do. By setting the memory to DDR2-800 or DDR3-1333, you won't have to worry about the memory trying to run at DDR2-1200, etc.
m
l

Best solution

July 9, 2010 8:14:42 AM

Hey, so a really good newbie OC-ing guide used to be here in the forums, however its been removed since. The guide was for an Intel Q6600 but the core ways to OC are the same for every CPU/mobo combination. It explains everything in detail so its understandable to begginers. If you want, I can send u the full 20page guide. Just send me a pm with ur email.
July 9, 2010 12:49:19 PM

thank you very much everyone
m
l
July 9, 2010 5:41:07 PM

Best answer selected by bastyn99.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2010 3:47:51 AM

Heres that OC'n guide you asking for. LINK
m
l
August 30, 2010 5:43:33 AM

baracubra said:
Hey, so a really good newbie OC-ing guide used to be here in the forums, however its been removed since. The guide was for an Intel Q6600 but the core ways to OC are the same for every CPU/mobo combination. It explains everything in detail so its understandable to begginers. If you want, I can send u the full 20page guide. Just send me a pm with ur email.

would like a copy of the begginers guide to overclocking,2hank 9 page,
if you don't mind. thanks ronfox44@cox.net
m
l
September 15, 2010 12:03:29 PM

baracubra said:

Hey,
If its possible i would like a copy too,
im_caius@hotmail.com
thanks heaps,
Caius
m
l
a c 197 K Overclocking
a c 172 à CPUs
September 16, 2010 5:20:58 PM

Hey, people. It is posted. The "problem" is that the moderators consolidated lots of links into one sticky to save space at the top of the forum.

Look in the sticky titled "Overclocking and Benchmarking Guides".
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

It's the same link that arthurh posted.

If you have a Gigabyte LGA775 board, this is also very good:
Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.
m
l
!