Extremely SLOW New Build(first time builder)

zyzybalubah1

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
So I made my first build and its extremely slow. I wanted it mainly for general browsing, movie watching and some dvd burning(No pc gaming at all) It takes about
3 minutes to load to the desktop. It goes slower than my mothers old gateway from 2002(which was :pfff: even back then) Here are the specs....

Rosewill R6A34-BK 0.8mm SECC 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX
ASUS M2A-VM AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS30
Rosewill RV350 350W ATX 1.3 Power Supply
Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

And I thought it was maybe the memory and I bought a Kingston® KVR667D2/1GR DDR2 Memory Upgrade For Desktop Computers, 2GB today, threw it in, but still slow as yesterday. My onboard sound skips. Which component did I go wrong?? Did I go wrong on the set up?

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Well im pretty much a noob to, but I may be able to help you get started before someone else chimes in.

First of all, If your running Vista its going to seem sluggish compared to xp. If it is just a matter of taking awhile to load the desktop... oh well you dont need to restart it constantly do you?

Other than that.. is your computer recognizing all 3 GB of RAM and did you put them in correct slots? Check your mobo manual RAM section.

zyzybalubah1

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Well I pretty much put to the 2 1gb mem in the dim a1 and dim b1. I put the 2gb I got today in dim a2....Is it right :??:
23jls0n.jpg

rbe0ic.jpg

micahjamesmesser

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
oh ok...well XP doesn't use more then 4 GB of ram....umm u might want to try fragmenting and disk clean up....or you could just reinstall windows that might do it.....I would check out a new MOBO the one you have only has 1000mhz the CPU is a 2000mhz that could be a problem to...

You did a clean install of Windows?
You installed all the chipset drivers that came with the motherboard?
You installed the correct SATA drivers?
Your processor is being recognized correctly and being reported at the correct speed?
Your heatsink is installed correctly, and the processor is not overheating, which would lead to it throttling it's self way down in speed to keep from overheating?
You did not mention your video card, but I assume you have the latest drivers installed for it? (although sounds like the video card is not your issue, just wanted to mention that as well)
When you added the second 2 gig of memory, you enabled memory remapping in the BIOS...right? The motherboard will not recognize more than 3 gig of memory until you do that.

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I'm running a 64 X2 5000 Brisbane on Vista and it is butter smooth. Boots in around 40 seconds; haven't timed it. Separate from your issue, I would recommend getting a better power supply from a more reputable company. The power supply is the one thing in your computer that, if it fails, could fry every single one of your parts. It could also be the mysterious cause of your problem assuming it's not one of the things jitpublisher listed above.

zyzybalubah1

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
You did a clean install of Windows?
You installed all the chipset drivers that came with the motherboard?
You installed the correct SATA drivers?
Your processor is being recognized correctly and being reported at the correct speed?
Your heatsink is installed correctly, and the processor is not overheating, which would lead to it throttling it's self way down in speed to keep from overheating?
You did not mention your video card, but I assume you have the latest drivers installed for it? (although sounds like the video card is not your issue, just wanted to mention that as well)
When you added the second 2 gig of memory, you enabled memory remapping in the BIOS...right? The motherboard will not recognize more than 3 gig of memory until you do that.
1.Yes
2.Yes
3.How could I check this
4. Its not overheating so Ill assume means its on correcty(I hope :??: )
5. The video card is on the mobo, and I just installed the latest driver today off the radeon website.
6. How do I go about doing that.

Oh yeah not sure if this is a related issue or a whole nother issue but my sound stutters severly, to a point when its unlistenable.