Sign in with
Your question

installation issues 785GM-E51 help needed Windows XP

Last response: in Windows XP
June 21, 2011 3:58:23 PM

Hello,I can get the XP CD to copy files to the IDE drive but errors when reboots to install...(cannot find boot device). Hv explicitly set HDD as first device in BIOS. Still same error results....Thanks
June 21, 2011 6:44:44 PM

In the BIOS, set the disk to use IDE mode from AHCI. Or use an XP setup with SP3 built-in.
m
l
June 28, 2011 1:00:11 AM

hang-the-9 said:
In the BIOS, set the disk to use IDE mode from AHCI. Or use an XP setup with SP3 built-in.

The mode was set as IDE. Finding SP3 is gonna be a real challenge. What addition in SP3 is the trick btw? Thanks
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2011 1:52:43 PM

Actually I did not read your post, IDE drive would not matter if you have SP2 or 3, or no SP for that matter.

Have you tried a different hard-drive?
m
l
June 28, 2011 2:22:21 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Actually I did not read your post, IDE drive would not matter if you have SP2 or 3, or no SP for that matter.

Have you tried a different hard-drive?

OK. I had the drive partitioned at first. Since it was failing, I formatted it again. Same results. XP loaded ok and the initial boot failed. When loading it seems as normal, but that initial boot didn't ever happen...Thxs
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:45:59 PM

Did you delete all the partitions and formatted it as one?

Sounds like you need to check with a second drive to rule out any drive issues though.
m
l
July 8, 2011 4:29:09 AM

;)  I thought I answered this a few days back. Here tis again. Once a SATA was added the installed worked fine. The IDE drive was not tested in another machine. It was in use prior to this test though. For now XP was loaded to a small SATA drive. I am not sure if the IDE was the issue or the MTHBD. For now have no other IDEs to compare with. Thanks.. :hello: 

m
l
!