Sign in with
Your question

My i5-750 @ 3.8. How do these temperatures look? Settings Too

Last response: in Overclocking
July 7, 2010 10:32:13 PM

How do these temperatures and settings look?

190 Block
PCIE Freq 104
QPI 4.270 gt/s
V-Droop OFF
Bootup and Eventual CPU Vcore: 1.3

VTT 1.4

Speedstep OFF
C-State OFF

July 8, 2010 12:27:26 AM

Your VTT seems quite high for a 190 BCLK (Intels absolute max value is 1.4v) and I would not bother changing PCIE frequency. I prefer to leave Vdroop on but thats just my opinion. Also, your temps are well below danger levels, you only really need to start worrying in the mid 70s.
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 12:51:39 AM

You temp is good but what are the temps when you are running a high graphics game?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 8, 2010 1:55:13 AM

My girlfriend stole the use of my comp for some BFBC2 action so I reverted all settings to default, then changed the bclock to just 160 pending some responses from this thread.

So running BFBC2 at highest possible settings for 45 minutes at THESE settings (3.2ghz but turbo enabled), real temp shows a max of 55 degrees, with a min of 40.

My gtx470 maxed out at 70 degrees but is often times maxed on load. Is it worth OCing the gtx or is it too dangerous?

Regarding the 3.8 ghz profile, how high should the VTT be then? I will do more temperature testing when she goes to bed so I can concentrate harder.

On a side note, I am using the Hyper 212 with OCZ freeze paste instead of the one included by coolermaster.

This is my 'dream rig' that I built on the 4th of July and I am a stranger to OCing, so I don't want to kill it (last machine was a pent D + geforce 6800.

Oh and also, what about ram? For some reason my default was at 11-11-11-28, so I changed it to the boxes recommendation of 8-8-8-24. Is that valid, and would it be worth it to try any lower?

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2010 2:05:32 AM

In regards to your memory, we don't know what kind/specs or what speed your running your multiplier at. But you don't want to go much tighter/lower with your ram timings while o/c+ checking stability. Your gains are very small %, and to low can easily cause a unrecoverable error (bsod). Then you won't know, what the exact cause was. The cpu o/c or the mem speed o/c or the mem timings ?
My ocz 1600 ddr3 will run at 8 8 8 at 1600 and lower. Will not run without errors at 1700mhz. Just an example.
July 8, 2010 2:26:49 AM

notty22 said:
In regards to your memory, we don't know what kind/specs or what speed your running your multiplier at. But you don't want to go much tighter/lower with your ram timings while o/c+ checking stability. Your gains are very small %, and to low can easily cause a unrecoverable error (bsod). Then you won't know, what the exact cause was. The cpu o/c or the mem speed o/c or the mem timings ?
My ocz 1600 ddr3 will run at 8 8 8 at 1600 and lower. Will not run without errors at 1700mhz. Just an example.

Okay thanks, I'll leave it at 8-8-8-24, especially for now. I had my build in my signature but it's gone:

My multiplier is at 20x for the CPU. The ram is Corsair XMS3 8gb (4 x 2gb).
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2010 3:39:19 AM

Quote:
Regarding the 3.8 ghz profile, how high should the VTT be then? I will do more temperature testing when she goes to bed so I can concentrate harder.

4ghz with my setup I use 1.31~1.33 VTT . Computer works fine at 1.29 but I get rare instant off's. Very random, I've isolated that behavior to that one setting. Weird :) 
July 8, 2010 12:32:56 PM

Wow. So I'm not sure what exactly happened. I was reading this reply downstairs and came back to an unresponsive computer during a prime95 torture test. Then I load up BFBC2. After a short time, 5 minutes, a mission greys out and stutters, and the sound loops. I immedietly power off. Next I set the bios to default.

Everything seems normal for a few hours, before I notice the idle temps. It was way to high. Then I see it:

My auto Vcore was bouncing from 1.2 to 1.6v !?!?!

What the hell is that?

It was running for probably 12 hours like that. As soon as I noticed I manually set it to 1.2v boot and 1.2v eventual.

What the hell is going on? Permanent damage? Why would it put itself into a dangerous vcore level on auto..? Thanks.
July 8, 2010 12:47:58 PM

Ok so now that I set it to manual 1.2 sometimes it drops at low as .8 ....

Is this normal or did I do some serious damage?

Lovely..
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 8, 2010 4:18:28 PM

That's a lot of VTT... I'd personally try to lower it, and raising Vcore. They should be pretty close together.

CPU temps are fine tho. I wonder how the NB is doing. (That is, if my understanding is right, then Vtt will heat up the NB)

I killed my MSI P55GD65 at only 1.28 Vtt lol.

EDIT: About your Vcore. Sounds like a combination of things. Auto generally will overvolt. When overclocking, manual is always bet. Also, C States, C1E, EIST - these will lower power consumption at idle so you generally see a lower vcore and multiplier. As for bouncing when in use, that's probably Vdroop. Load Line Calibration will keep the voltage steady but can cause micro-voltage changes as it enables that might seriously overvolt but super short term, IMO not an issue.
!