Free Xeon Processors and memory, worth using???

J-R0d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I have a stack of 2.0GHZ Xeon processors out of some Dell 6650 servers. I am trying to determine if they are even worth using as part of a system build or if it would be more adventageous to just buy one of the newer dual core or quad core processors. As well, I have 256M of memory for the servers. Just trying to see if any of it would be worth using for a home/gaming rig.

A cheap AMD dual or quad, on an even cheaper motherboard, with the least expensive memory you can buy would simply run circles around them.
Although they may be free, they are simply not worth the time to even remove the parts from the motherboards.
Besides, where are you going to find a motherboard that supports the processors, the memory, and a modern video card?
Sorry, but trying to use these freebie's as viable solution for a home gaming rig is just a really bad idea!

J-R0d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I suspected that might be the case, but I wanted to verify that. I suspect that the stuff is worth more on Ebay than it is in a new build. I was not sure if the Xeons would necessarily be a supported option on a "modern" mobo. But, I am not necessarily up on what is most current or the sockets supported. So, I had to ask...

The memory in 256M worth of PC2100 DDR. So, its not necessarily the newest of fastest either.

I do appreciate the input.